entertaining babies

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by newtothis, Jun 23, 2009.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

my peanuts are only 4.5 weeks old. when they're up, i feel guilty just sitting and looking at them. i feel like i should be 'entertaining' them in some way. how do you ladies keep your babies happy and busy when they're that young?

2. ohjojo

ohjojo Well-Known Member

i think when they are that young just sitting and looking at them is plenty! i did a lot of singing and talking to them at that age. they are learning all kinds of things just by laying around and looking at you and their environment.

congrats on your boys!

3. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

I mostly sang to them.

4. krisdeb04

krisdeb04 Well-Known Member

I smiled at them a lot and talked to them.

5. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

smiling, talking, touching hands and feet, like touching their hands together. it doesn't take much stimulus at that age to tire them out, so they don't need much.

6. ambernruby

ambernruby Well-Known Member

Mine were just waking up about this age and again lots of interacting is all they need.. smiling, talking, eye contact n lots of snuggles!! Enjoy

7. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Don't forget tummy time! I would lay the boys out on a blanket on the floor and put colorful toys in front of them to entice them into raising their heads. I'd also get down on the floor in front of them and call their names to get them to look up.

I think I bought an activity mat for them at around 2 months old, but I don't think 4 weeks is too early to lay them down on one and let them focus on the brightly colored toys.

8. mollyjm

mollyjm Well-Known Member

If your running out of ideas (or just can't imagine talking to youself any more lol), you could always read books to them. At that age they don't even need to be kid books. You could pull out anything that might interest you. I also hold up objects for them. Moving an object in front of their face slowly and seeing if their eyes follow will help to build the connecters between the 2 sides of the brain. I also do stretching and message with them.

9. Sisrea

Sisrea Well-Known Member

At that point mine were not really awake much.. They would just eat and sleep.. at 6 weeks the reflux/fussiness kicked in and then it was another story, but at a month i think that i wasn't getting up for the day til 3 some days because i will still so tired and i would go back to bed after they ate..