Entertaining 4-6wk olds

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ladypotter, Jul 19, 2010.

1. ladypotter

ladypotter Well-Known Member

I see how many people's routines include eat, entertain (play), sleep during the day. Our girls are one month tomorrow and are now starting to be awake a bit more during the day after they eat. They are on a three hour rotation for the most part. Sometimes they fall right asleep adn other times, they don't want to sleep AT ALL (which is SOOOO HARD)!!

What does everyone do to "entertain" a one month old? We have a play mat and I also use a mirror with them and shake rattles or colorful toys in front of them, but this maybe works for about 5 minutes before they either are ready to sleep or want to be held, soothed and cuddled.

We tried not swaddling them during the day but they REALLY like to be swaddled and don't really sleep without it, so we do it...I take the swaddle off or at least open it while they are eating, but then pretty much wrap them back up afterwards after play.

I feel so guilty when I am trying to soothe one and the other is crying...what else can I do when this happens...any ideas?

2. sruth

sruth Well-Known Member

Sometimes I would have one in my arms and the other in the swing. Or if they both wanted to be held I had one in the baby carrier and one on my lap. Its hard holding two babies because they both want to be held differently! I also swaddled each time they fell back asleep. At that age the 3 hour rotation is perfect. There really isn't much more you can do just keep being creative and you'll do great!

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I know it's hard to not feel like you are stimulating them enough, but at that age I felt like the whole world was stimulating. They don't need the amount of stimulation that you, I or an older kid would. The room they were in was interesting- laying on a blanket on the floor. A mirror that you mentioned. Making faces at them. Singing or dancing near them is fascinating. A mobile or this book.

4. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yup not much to do bc everything is so new and exciting to them;) Hannah just loves to be held and talked to. She also LOVES the ceiling fan (most babies do) and the contrasting trim in our rooms;) Its the little things when they are this tiny;)

5. ladypotter

ladypotter Well-Known Member

Thanks ladies!! Funny...the girls definitely look at the ceiling fans!! haha..