Enfamil Gentlease or Similac Sensitive?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jpgeyer, Jan 12, 2010.

1. jpgeyer

jpgeyer Well-Known Member

Just curious what (if any) experiences people have had with Enfamil Gentlease or Similac Sensitive. My son is 7 weeks and has reflux (not too bad) and very bad gas. The doctor said we could try Gentlease or Sim Sensitive and wanted to get some feedback first! TIA!

2. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

My girls have always gotten a bottle or two a day of formula and are breastfed other than that. C had really bad reflux so we switched from Enfamil Gentlease to similac sensitive and it worked for us.

3. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

I tried both Gentlease and Similac Sensitive because our boys had horrible tummy problems and constant gas and inability to poop shortly after coming home from the NICU (when they were 2 months old). While they tolerated the formula well (as in they didn't cause any additional tummy problems) neither of those formulas really eased their current problems though. But every baby is different and they may make a world of difference for your babies. I say give them a shot and keep them on one of them for at least a few days (perhaps even a week) before giving up and trying something new. Lots of moms here also say Nestle Good Start Gentle plus is very good too.

4. dowlinal

dowlinal Well-Known Member

My one son had a sensitive tummy and his gas was so bad that we called it old man gas. Seriously it was mindboggling that it was coming from a newborn. I switched from supplementing with regular Enfamil to the Target version of the Gentlease and it worked great. I went for Target just because I'd heard that the formula was good, it was cheaper, and it was a store that was easy for me to get to.

5. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

My boys were on gentle ease for a long time and it worked alright but then we switched to allimentum and it works way better, although it is way more expensive and there are other reasons for them to be on it. I would try either one and see which works for you. We went through 6 formulas before we stuck with gentle ease.

6. nycmomma

nycmomma Well-Known Member

One of my kids had spit up and gas issues so we tried Enfamil Gentalese but found it was very foamy. I tried the Babies R Us Gentle and liked it a lot better and it's about $9 can cheaper. About 2 months ago I tried to switch them to regular formula and he spit up a lot, so I'll stick with the BRU stuff for another 2 months (when they go to whole milk).

7. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

I have always liked Similac products better than Enfamil and know a lot of physicians who feel the same way. However, there is nothing wrong with trying the store brand version and seeing if it works since it is a lot cheaper. Any store brand is going to be the same because all the stores (Walmart, Target, BRU, Meijer, Kroger, etc) use one manufacturing plant that makes generic formula..they don't have their own manufacturing facilities. Going lactose free is one way to see if the gas gets better but I agree you could also try Good Start because it is whey protein instead of casein and some babies do better with it. My daughter can eat anything now but for her first 3-4 months she did much better on Good Start than on anything else (she was also only getting it 1-2 bottles a day because I also breastfeed.)

8. tpowers

tpowers Well-Known Member

One of my boys has always had more stomach problems than the other and Enfamil made him sick. We switched to the generic brand at Walmart. It made a ton of difference and it works good for us.

9. Kateryna

Kateryna Well-Known Member

I would try Enfamil Lactose Free. It saved us from reflux and terrible gas.