enfamil A.R. lipil

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Farrah, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Farrah

Farrah Well-Known Member

anybody using this? does it help? did your doc recommend it or did you try on your own?

2. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

we used it directed by our doctor and it didn't help with their reflux or spitting up. we are now on hypoallergenic formula and meds which have helped a whole lot.

3. swilhite25

swilhite25 Well-Known Member

Yes, it does help or at least it did in our case. Wal Mart (Parent's Choice) makes an "AR" version too and it's half the price of the Enfamil. We use that now and have had the same results. At our last doctor's visit the doctor said to keep using the formula only and he wouldn't suggest medicine for DS. The AR formula combines with the stomach acid to make it expand and keep it down, reflux medicines keep the stomach from making stomach acid so essentially there is no point in doing both because the AR formula won't work. No one had ever explained that to me before. I know every baby is different but for DS we just went with the AR and do a little extra laundry. Hope this helps and gl!

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I used it for one of mine. It was recommended by the Ped for the reflux. It worked well.

5. Sisrea

Sisrea Well-Known Member

we are using the infamil AR here too. It does seem to help.. DH doens't like the price tag of it, tho and will be SUPER excited when they don't need it anymore. They are in zantac too, and the pp has got me curious and i'm gunna ask my dr when we go back to see them again in another month!!

6. twointheoven

twointheoven Well-Known Member

My boys were put on it in the NICU. I was told I could either continue when I got home, or use regular Enfamil/Similac and add rice cereal. At that time I didn't realize the negative side of using rice cereal. If I would have known, I would have kept them on the A.R. I had a bunch of free EnfaCare the hospital gave me before the switch to A.R. so I wanted to use it up of course. The rice cereal adds calories (mine don't need it) and gives solids too early if not necesary. When I figured this out and did some research, I found Similac has a product Sensitive R.S. This is the Similac Sensitive (no lactose, more gentle on digestive system, even if not allergic) with added rice starch. So it is almost if you were to combine Enfamil Gentlease (but Gentlease is only reduced lactose, not lactose free) and Enfamil A.R. I had to become a formula expcert, because my doctor knew noting about it (luckily I just changed). This would be a step you could try before hypoallergenic formula (Alimentum/Nutramigen) which we are on now. I went to a new pediatrician yesterday and she explained that even if they baby is not allergic, sensitive, reduced/no lactose, and hypoallergenic formulas help reflux babies because they are gentle on their system and create less work. Especially the Alimentum/Nutrimigen, because they are predigested and therefore pass through with less time for reflux to come back up. Also, I don't want to confuse you even more, but I looked into Nestle Good Start with the Comfort Proteins. This isn't lactose free, but they do something with the proteins to help make them easier to digest.

So, after that mouth full. I would try the Similac Sensitive R.S. because you are getting the thickening process of the rice and the sensitive formula to be gentle on their system. I would try for at least a week or two before doing anything else. If this works, it is better than meds and special formula (alimentum/nutrimigen). Not that Alimentum and Nutrimigen aren't great, it is just an added expense, or hurdles to get your insurance to cover.

And last, some people ask their peds. before switching formulas, I didn't but it is up to you.

GOOD LUCK! :FIFblush:

7. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Enfamil AR is what my girls took for the majority of their first year. We switched b/c they were spitting up a little too much of the regular formula. I put a call into my pedi and spoke with the nurse, telling her I was concerned about the amount they were spitting up so they suggested trying the AR and it worked great. My girls had zero spit-up after that and didn't even need to wear a bib.

The only downside to the AR is that there's no generic, so you're looking at spending around $50 every week and a half on formula. (Or that's how much it cost us)

ETA: There was no generic when my girls were on it but I see a previous poster says there is now at Wal-Mart which is where I shop! Wish they would have had that in 2007!

8. Farrah

Farrah Well-Known Member

WOW...thanks for all of that info! I feel like I should call the doc first but she told me it was okay to switch formulas but she only mentioned soy??? She said that would be last resort. I also feel like they are my babies and I should do what I think is best.....Oh the joys of motherhood!!! :)

The pp that mentioned the similac that was sorta a combo of gentlease and A.R. sounds GREAT! My two can get really gassy, so maybe I will try that!

9. asamac

asamac Well-Known Member

I mix AR and Gentlease or AR and BM. My girls still spit up but not as bad. I was able to take them off prilosec which is good. The one thing I don't like about AR is that it is sooo thick and clogs the bottle so that is why I mix it. I will have to try Wal-Mart's brand! That is exciting news!