Elevating sleep positioner

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by elhardy26, Jun 17, 2008.

1. elhardy26

elhardy26 Well-Known Member

We're thinking about starting to transition our girls from our room in car seats at night (ugh.. I know...) to their crib at night.

We're going to start with naps for sure, but the trouble is they don't sleep well (or at all) laying flat on their backs. I'm looking for a sleep wedge for the crib that has a bit of an elevation to it... i've found many with mixed bad reviews on-line... does anyone know of a good one?

2. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

This is the one I used from Babies R Us. Tyler loved it.

3. elhardy26

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Jun 17 2008, 02:09 PM) [snapback]831311[/snapback]

I'm worried since we swaddle the girls, if they scooted down and their faces were next to the lateral supports they could get their face buried into them. do you think this is a real concern, did you have trouble with tyler scooting down in it?

4. DATJMom

QUOTE(1stTimeMom26 @ Jun 17 2008, 06:12 PM) [snapback]831314[/snapback]
    I'm worried since we swaddle the girls, if they scooted down and their faces were next to the lateral supports they could get their face buried into them. do you think this is a real concern, did you have trouble with tyler scooting down in it?

Once he started scooting at about 3.5 months was when he started getting out of his swaddling too. So I just stopped the swaddling and the sleep positioner all together. Are they scooting yet in a pack in play or if they are in a crib at all?

5. elhardy26

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Jun 17 2008, 02:17 PM) [snapback]831320[/snapback]
    Once he started scooting at about 3.5 months was when he started getting out of his swaddling too. So I just stopped the swaddling and the sleep positioner all together. Are they scooting yet in a pack in play or if they are in a crib at all?

when they used to sleep in the co-sleeper (which is too small for both of them now), we would put them down parallel on opposite sides of the co-sleeper and when they woke me up for a feeding they would be angled together, with their heads close to one another and their arms flailing arond hitting eachother... it was actually kind of sweet, I called it twin gravity.

when they are napping in their boppy's they occassionally do wriggle down and i have to scoot them up again, but once they are asleep for good, they lay very still...

6. DATJMom

If they are already wiggling then I think they will wiggle down even a slight incline.

7. twins2008

twins2008 Well-Known Member

Our pediatrician doesn't like the positioners. He had recommended just raising the head of the crib. I know that Walmart sells the leg elevators, I am sure other stores carry them as well. I would check with your ped. Good luck.

Jen

8. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

We use a wedge pillow we got at Bed, Bath & Beyond and a Danny Sling they gave us with our Reflux training in the NICU. We actually used two wedges stacked to make them be at a 30 degree angle, but now we just use one. The picture on the Danny Sling site is bad. We never put them on their tummies in it. Also, we don't swaddle anymore, but we did until a couple of months ago.

ETA: The NICU gave us the 12-18 lb. size even though they were barely 5 pounds when the came home. It made it easier to use while they were swaddled.

9. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Jun 17 2008, 02:09 PM) [snapback]831311[/snapback]

We used sleep positioners similar to this one too.

10. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

we use 'nightform' sleep positioners, which are the only ones reco'd by the pediatrics society (got ours at rightstart.com). also, they are very large and the pads can be changed/moved around. they are pricey (50 bucks) but will last a long time. our boys have been sleeping in them since they came home from the nicu. until they are rolling over easily on their own, the boys will be fine in them (according to our pedi). for elavation, we use the boppy pregnancy wedges underneath each one. they do sometimes slide down a bit but since they are not rolling on their own they never push their faces into the sides. especially if they are swaddled (which we don't do any more).

best of luck!
    ~~jl

11. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

btw, we chose these positioners cuz they are the size of a mattress. we were planning on using our angel care monitors in the pnp and wanted something to use as a mattress to put the monitor on top of. we ended up cosleeping so we don't use the monitors but the positioners keep the boys safe and sound. and in one place!

QUOTE(happychck @ Jun 17 2008, 06:16 PM) [snapback]832093[/snapback]
    we use 'nightform' sleep positioners, which are the only ones reco'd by the pediatrics society (got ours at rightstart.com). also, they are very large and the pads can be changed/moved around. they are pricey (50 bucks) but will last a long time. our boys have been sleeping in them since they came home from the nicu. until they are rolling over easily on their own, the boys will be fine in them (according to our pedi). for elavation, we use the boppy pregnancy wedges underneath each one. they do sometimes slide down a bit but since they are not rolling on their own they never push their faces into the sides. especially if they are swaddled (which we don't do any more).

best of luck!
    ~~jl

12. mrsmoon

mrsmoon Well-Known Member

DD had TERRIBLE reflux and had to sleep elevated. We just put two regular pillows under her crib mattress. It worked wonderful.