Ears pierced - DD

Discussion in 'General' started by ckreh, Jul 31, 2011.

1. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

For the last three weeks DD is suddenly fascinated with my earrings and keeps saying "Mommy will you teach me how to wear earrings?". DH and I said we would wait until she asked for them because even as babies they seemed a little rough with each other, so I was worried DS would rip one out of her ear. She is now a little over 3 years old.

Tonight when she asked again I told her that they would put a hole in her ear and it would hurt really bad for a few days. She thought about it for a few minutes and said "Mommy please take me to get earrings". I looked to DH who basically said it was my call and wanted to know when I got mine done. I explained I was about 4 or 5 and that my mom did them with an ice cube, needle, thread, and a potato in the kitchen. His sister was more like 12 or 13 when their mom finally let her get her ears pierced. Nowadays you go to the mall or a piercing place since our ped office won't do them and I can't imagine doing them myself at home. Plus I know at the mall they usually do both ears at the same time for younger girls.

So at what age did you get your daughter's ears pierced? I am really undecided here because I think they will look cute, but I know the after care will be a bit of a hassle as well as the worry when they rough house with each other. Any experiences would be appreciated as we decide.

2. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

we had Abby's done at 2.5 - I told her the same thing that it would hurt but she was relentless - so I took her to the mall and they did both ears at once - 2 tears rolled down her face and then she got a sticker and a lollipop and she was fine!!!

as for aftercare you just take the stuff on a q-tip and rub it around twice a day - I used to do it when she got up and as part of the bedtime routine - it really wasn't difficult...

just make sure you get 14, 18 or 24k gold piercers - they have the least amount of allergy risk...in fact most earrings make her ears red except for MY good diamond studs - but that's ok - I took hers that my parents gave her, they're bigger :)

1 person likes this.
  3. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

My dd was 3 months old. :good: The aftercare really is no big deal at all (if that's all that is keeping you from doing it). Takes a few seconds. :good: And you can keep studs in her ears which will reduce her getting them pulled out. Good luck with your decision!!

4. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

My DD had them done around her 4th birthday. She too wanted them really, really badly. And DH didn't care. So we just went to Claire's in the mall and they did it. No tears; she was so ready and excited for it to be done, she didn't care if there was pain involved. We were really good about cleaning them in the beginning. A couple months ago, the skin started growing around the backing of her earring and it was painful for a bit. Now we are super vigilant again.

5. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls got them the first time when they were 2 1/2. Both girls had an earing fall out on its own within a week. I think the other one came out with-in the month. Dani asked again this year when she started school. So she got hers pierced. Sydney said she wants hers done after camp ends so we will see. Dani has a pair of zebra earrings that she wants.

6. Jill R.

Jill R. Well-Known Member

Ally got hers done at 10 months,and we've never had any problems. The cleaning you have to do in the beginning takes less than a minute in the morning and at night. My kids are 8 1/2 now, and they rough house like crazy and she's never had an earring get pulled out. BTW, she wears heart shaped hoop earrings that would be pretty easy to pull out, and still, no problems.

7. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

We did it for DD a few weeks ago, at 3.5. She did cry, but was so excited when it was done. I let her pick out her earrings and that was really exciting for her. We did it at Icing in the mall. So far she's been great with taking care of them. She doesn't mind the cleanings at all and doesn't mess with them.

8. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

One of my girls was just over 3 when she started asking. She's the one who knows what she wants but I pushed it off for a while, just to make sure. Finally, at 3.5, I took her to do it. Best decision because she was definitely ready for it.

After she had hers done, her sister always said she would do it "tomorrow" (in other words - ummm...never). :lol: 9 months later, after dinner one night, she decides she wants hers done too. Not wanting the window of opportunity to close for us, we took her. Again, great decision because she was ready for them also.

I say go for it!! Both of mine whined the first 24-36 hours when I had to clean them. So I just stated that either they let me do it or I take them out and they can wait until they were older to take care of them. They didn't say a peep after that. :D

We went to Icing in the mall (sister co. of Claire's) because there were 2 managers on each time we went and they did a double piercing. I definitely wouldn't have done it any other way because I'm positive Baby B would have run for the hills had we not done it this way.

9. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

Joy was 9 weeks old. She only cried when they were trying to make the mark with the pen, she didn't even whimper when they actually did it. Mine was done at birth. (I'm from South America)

My neieces were between 7-9. It hurts for about 3 seconds and then its done.

10. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

My sister and I were 10. I remember my Aunt taking us because she lived in the cities, so we got to ride a city bus and everything. I do not know why she was the one who took us. We wanted it done. Turns out I am allergic to nickel. :( Shortly after my wedding at age 28 I let the holes close up. I was only able to wear ONE pair of earrings. I could not even wear nickel free earrings... only the one nickel free 'pearls' pair was good. I figured it wasn't worth it. My twin has no issues with earrings and allergies. She got hers double pierced but one hole closed up. Audrey might have my allergy so it will be an informed decision if she ever asks.

11. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My oldest DD was never really interested in getting her ear's pierced until her 3 month old cousin got her ear's pierced and then she wanted to, she was 5.5 years old when she got them done. My other DD wanted them done (I'm assuming because she saw her big sister with earrings etc) so we had them done on her 4th bday.

12. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I got the first set when I was a baby the second set for my 6th birthday, I am allergic to anything other then gold or sterling silver in my ears, I normally just wear gold. My twin isn't allergic she can wear anything in her ears and just went and got her tragus done.

13. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

The Girls were 5 months I think. We've lost a earring here or there. I've stepped on one too. I highly suggest hoops after you get the piercing earrings out. They are much more comfortable to sleep in, the don't hurt when you step on them and they come out easy if someone where to grab them.

14. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have always waited until the girls were old enough to ask for it, I always wanted it to be their decision. Both older girls started asking around the age of 5, and Lila is following their lead, I guess, because she has just started to ask in the last few weeks.

15. kim01

kim01 Well-Known Member

I was 6 when I got my first set. I now have 5 in each ear. I remember getting my first ones done as clear as day. Just like it was yesterday.

16. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

All 3 of my girls were between 2-3 months old. None of them really cried. I'm glad I did it when they were so young. All 3 enjoy wearing their earrings still.

17. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My dd got hers done for her 5th birthday because that's when my husband finally agreed to it! and now my other dd will have to wait until she is 5 as well...but she's shown no interest in getting them now anyway.
    The after care was super easy. She did lose one of her originals and she has a ton of ear rings but they are cheap and irritate her skin so we had to go buy another pair for about 35.00 and she wears them everyday.

18. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

Mine were just babies. I think like 6-7 months old. They hardly cried and the after care was very simple.

19. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I had to wait until I was 6 to get mine pierced. So my godmother took me for my 6th birthday because I really wanted pierced ears.

My girls are 5, and if they so desire I'd go ahead and do it at this point (5 was my "youngest age limit" with them). But they really have no interest, so I'll wait until they ask to do it.

I plan on getting it done at the pedi's office though.

20. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

We were thinking of taking her some time in the next week, but of course when my mother found out she freaked out. She claims no little girl should get her ears pierced before wearing clip earrings as a test run and that is what she did with us :rolleyes: . Of course I don't remember that, but I will humor her and let her bring over clip earrings on Wednesday when she is coming to visit/play with them.

21. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

REALLY? B/c so many women regret the decision to pierce ears/found it horribly traumatic/don't do it as adults?

How many women does she actually know that don't have holes in their ears?

Side note: I can't stand it when family bring in the 'this is what I did with you' card. I say thanks, we're doing it this way. :rolleyes:

22. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

My mother is CONSTANTLY saying "when you and your sister were young we did ..." and it drives us crazy :wacko: . Just because you did it that way 35 years ago doesn't mean we should do it that way. These are our kids and we get to decide how to raise them...she had her chance.

Now DH isn't sure if we should take her to the mall to get them done. He wants to take her to the licensed piercing salon near us that has to meet the states health codes. I understand the health code and cleanliness issues however, they only do one ear at a time. The piercer talked with him about the process, costs, and told him that he has been told by clients that they barely feel it when he pierces. Now I am picturing DD freaking out after the first ear and not letting them near the second ear.

Here I thought we would be going to the mall in the next week, but now I see a disagreement with DH in my future :nea: .

23. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

Me too !! Especially since I think my parents were complete tools when it came to parenting (but thats another topic ![​IMG])

I had a friend who's dd went around with one earring for like a year because after they did the first one she wouldn't let them do the other. I say do both ears at the same time if at all possible !

24. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

So after a couple family called after speaking with my mom with reasons we should consider waiting to have DD's ears pierced I got a little mad. I don't mind if I ask for your opinion, but don't start calling me because my mom decided it was her business. So I came home and found an old pair of my grandma's clip earring in my jewelry box to let DD try on. She did not like them because they kept falling off and said she wanted ones like mommy. After the kids went to bed I showed DH the website for Claire's and he agreed we should take her there to get them done at once after I told him about the little girl who spent a year with one earring according to PP. We are going to be by the mall today, so I think today may be the day and I called to verify that they would have two people on staff to do them. I will post some pics when we do it.

2 people like this.
  25. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My daughter is bugging us to get hers done now. My husband has not given the okay yet.

26. AmynTony

I presented it to Tony in this way - YOU made the decision to have our son circumcised - I left it to you because you have a penis and I don't - I am making the decision to have our daughters ears pierced because I have earrings and you don't

when I put it to him this way there was very little room for argument! Of course that only works if you have a circ'ed son!

and why is it anyone's freakin business but yours and your DH's if your getting DD's ears pierced??? Do they think her ears are going to turn into Spock ears or something?

1 person likes this.
  27. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Well, even if your son isn't circ'd, if the decision was your partner's, then it was his decision not to circ - argument still stands! ;)

28. AmynTony

true enough!

29. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

DD sat still to get her ears pierced, only cried two crocodile tears, so they gave her two lollipops. Then she was excited over her pretty earrings. Here are some pics:

Ear piercing prep

Ear piercing

New earrings 1

New earrings 2

She did better than we expected. Now we hope everything keeps going well as we clean them and they heal.

30. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

What a cutie!!! Glad it went well! :)

31. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

:wub: She looks so cute!!! I love it!! :wub:

I'm glad you went with what you and your husband decided to do. :good:

32. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

How cute!! They look faboo.

33. AmynTony

so pretty!

34. Lougood

Lougood Well-Known Member

They look adorable! :Clap:

My girls just started asking this week. They are such weenies though I'm afraid they're going to cry like big babies. :blush: :unsure: So I'm the one that is hesitant...well, DH is too, but if I told him I was ok with it he would be fine with it.

What to do what to do...

35. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

My 4yr old wants the pink hello kitty from build a bear. I told her to ask Santa. Today I tried to bribe her with the toy to get her ears pierced. Her reply "I'll wait for Santa". My 5 yr old son piped in I'll do it because he wanted a new bear. Lol