Early PG spotting?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by MyMayBabies, Oct 5, 2009.

1. MyMayBabies

MyMayBabies Well-Known Member

Dh and I found out last week that we might be expecting twins! We had an early u/s due to spotting, and the tech measured two perfect looking sacs--both measuring at 5 weeks--right on target. We have an u/s this week to see if there might be two heartbeats (we are praying there are!).

I was wondering about spotting. This is not my first pregnancy, but it's the first one that I've had spotting with, so it is making me very nervous. This spotting is very light, and is CM mixed with strings of red blood....and is only on the tp when I wipe. It has happened three times so far. Once last Monday, once on Friday, and again this morning. (I'm 6 weeks tomorrow)

Thanks for any advice :)

2. HollyP

HollyP Well-Known Member

Did not have it with my first (singleton), but had it with this twin pregnancy - it freaked me out but all was ok :)

Congrats to you!

3. k2daho

k2daho Well-Known Member

I had this during my first trimester as well...on and off til about 16 weeks and none since. My OB thought that it was due to the partial placenta previa that I had at the beginning of the pregnancy which is very common with twins. He also always said that as long as it wasn't super heavy or accompanied with cramping that I shouldn't get myself too worked up about it.

4. MyMayBabies

I'm so scared. Just went to the bathroom and found more bleeding than spotting. It's watery and strange, not quite like a period. I hope this is not the end. :(

What was your spotting like?

5. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

I had spotting with both of my pregnancies. With my first son I had moderate spotting on and off for the first 14 wks. It was really terrifying because every time I would think that this is it and then it would stop. I had what they describes as a bruse on my uterus which is pretty common and can happen during placenta development. All of my ultrasounds were fine and eventually it stopped and I had a healthy baby boy at 37 weeks. With my twins I had some slight spotting until one day I was outside with my son playing and It felt like I peed my pants. I had a large amount of blood loose and was really scared. I went for the ultrasound and they said I had the hematoma again as well as placenta previa which can also cause spotting.I delivered my twins early but not do to any complications from the spotting. Hang in there, I know it is terrifying but hopefully all is well. If you happen to know that your blood type is 0 negative you probably will need a shot of whinrho. Best of luck

6. MyMayBabies

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. The spotting seems to have stopped now. I'm going to rest on the couch for the rest of the day. Not sure if that will help, but at least I'll feel like I'm doing something :)

7. k2daho

k2daho Well-Known Member

My spotting was off and on...sometimes it was just light pink and sort of mucousy when I would wipe after peeing, but other times I had some more significant bright red bleeding (reminded me of a period...I was terrified and sobbed for a good hour the first time it happened thinking that I was losing what at the time I thought was one baby). The bright red bleeding though still wasn't heavy enough to show on my underwear, just when I wiped...although that could be due to the fact that I was going to the bathroom so frequently to check if it was still there. It cleared up on its own every time within a few hours and obviously wasn't a problem with my pregnancy as I'm now almost 30 weeks with big, thriving babies! I wouldn't worry too much as stress is never good for you or babies. Try to relax, lay down the rest of the day if you need to and it makes you feel better. That's what I usually did.

Also as the last poster said make sure to find out your RH neg status so that you can get Rhogam if you need it. I am A neg and have had two Rhogam shots during this pregnancy.

8. MyMayBabies

That's exactly what my spotting is like. My blood type is A+, so I think I'm okay. Tomorrow is my ultrasound and I hope we see something. I'm terrified that my uterus will be empty.

9. k2daho

k2daho Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed for a good ultrasound tomorrow mama :) I would guess that things are fine if you aren't having any cramping or prolonged bleeding. Everyone I've talked to who has miscarried (I asked around when I was having my spotting) said that they really KNEW and it was pretty unmistakeable that their body wasn't keeping the baby in.

Hope to hear great, happy news from you tomorrow! Try to get a good sleep tonight.

10. MyMayBabies

Thanks for the well wishes. No spotting in the past 5 hours. Whew. Whenever I think about tomorrow's ultrasound, my heart starts to pound out of my chest, lol.

I will update when I get home tomorrow (probably around noon PST).

11. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

You'll feel much better after you get your U/S tomorrow! I had bleeding throughout the first trimester and little after. It was very hard on my nerves..I actually bled quite a bit at certain intervals and never knew when it would hit..however the bleeding never lasted more than an hour. To this day we don't know why..but it eventually quit and I had a healthy end to my pregnancy...however, I was always glad to go to the OB and hear heartbeats, put my mind at ease.