Early Bird Gets The Worm I Guess

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by knorts, Sep 4, 2007.

1. knorts

knorts Well-Known Member

For the past several weeks, both twins seem to want to get up around 5am. We are doing nothing different--bed time routine starts between 6-6:30pm and they are down between 7-7:30pm? How can I get them to stop waking up so early? Will it change naturally?

2. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Mine have always been early risers too. Despite all my efforts, they get up when they want to.

3. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

I have early risers too. When my girl started to sleep until 5 am at 2-3 months, I thought we would be done in no time. But now at 9 months, it's usually 5.30-6.00 am, however, I put them back down and very often they go back to sleep. This morning they woke at 6.05 am, put them back down but they didn't sleep. They're going to bed at 6.30 pm and I've tried earlier, later, etc. They nap well and are content babies. I've discussed it with Weissbluth, did sleep logs, but we can't find anything "wrong", so I am just waiting for this phase to pass.

4. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

My girls are 6 months and they still get up around 5:30 or 6. It has slowly gotten later but not much!

5. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

Do they wake crying? Mine often wake really early too. If they're not crying I just leave them to talk to themselves and about 1/2 the time they fall back asleep.

6. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

QUOTE(knorts @ Sep 4 2007, 09:03 AM) [snapback]391957[/snapback]
    For the past several weeks, both twins seem to want to get up around 5am. We are doing nothing different--bed time routine starts between 6-6:30pm and they are down between 7-7:30pm? How can I get them to stop waking up so early? Will it change naturally?

Mine sometimes wake up between 5 and 6am, but unless they are crying we don't go in there. They 'talk' to each other or to themselves and then usually fall back asleep and wake up again around 7:30. This morning Meara woke up at 5am and started crying, but DH just went in there and patted her back and she fell back asleep until 7:45. Ana never woke up.

I wish I could give you a better answer, but I haven't found a way to make them sleep longer. But like I said if they are content and talking and playing, we leave them and get another hour of sleep for ourselves. :)

-Leighann

7. **Diane**

**Diane** Well-Known Member

My DD also has the habit of waking up around 5am. Like the other's she usually wakes up and just talks/plays. Normally she will fall back to sleep. I don't go get them unless they start crying. When she falls back to sleep normally both babies will then wake at around 6:30am which is more of a wake up time I can deal with ;)

8. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

My DS will wake up around 5:30 or 6 some mornings and DD sleeps until 7:30 or so. I tend to go in and grab DS (so he does not wake DD up) and bring him into bed with me in the guest room next door to their room. He usually grunts and groans trying to have a BM until he finally falls asleep on me and we rest a bit (he sleeps, I rest) and by then DD wakes us up and we come down stairs. I am really trying to keep from bringing them downstairs to the main room where we start our day until at least 7am.

I am sure it is a bad habit to bring him in with me but I do think most of the time he is doing this it is gas pains or a bubble he did not get out if he woke to eat the night prior. I have found that not feeding him when he wakes in the middle of the night helps him to sleep more comfortably and later ... it keeps the gas and BM and bubbles away.

Amy

9. shannonfilteau

shannonfilteau Well-Known Member

Mine always wake early (not crying) we don't rush in and they always seem to fall back to sleep.

We are convinced they just wake to pee like the rest of the world as gross as that sounds but they have always done this and we always get a little more sleep after they fall back to sleep.