Driving me nuts with the potty

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by pinkpoonani, Nov 24, 2010.

1. pinkpoonani

pinkpoonani Active Member

My boys are 25 months, I haven't really actively started potty training, they have the books, we talk about potty, and I give them the opportunity to sit on the potty if they want, but neither one has ever gone in the potty yet. Lately Ashton has started asking for the potty several times throughout the day, he takes off his pants and sits for a minute or less but never goes. Usually he already peed in his diaper before he asked to go. I think he just plays this game so I will change his wet diaper. It's driving me nuts to go thru the whole process a million times a day because I haven't had the feeling that either of them are really ready to potty train. But I don't want to tell him no when he asks even tho I know he's already gone. Should I start really pushing PTing with him? or just keep going nuts?

2. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Potty training is really a series of skills--sitting on the potty, pulling down pants and diaper, peeing on the potty, pooping on the potty. I'd praise him for learning a step--"Yeah, you sat on the potty!! Someday you will learn to pee and poop in the potty!!". Mine both went through a stage around that time of sitting. They weren't ready and we didn't push. Just encouraged their interest.

1 person likes this.
  3. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

My twins potty trained at 27 months and I can tell you right before we successfully potty trained, they went through the phase where they would tell me they needed to go AS they were going. The lights are starting to click.[​IMG]
    Talk it up, encourage him to go, look for signs he needs to go etc. you'll know when its really time!

4. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

My kids are 33 months and still don't show any interest so I'm not pushing it.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with this...my two also went through this period of sitting and not doing anything on the potty. Hang tough Momma, they will get there :hug:

6. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

We are right there with you! We have one who will use the potty to pee...but wants to do it a million times...our other boy just wants to sit. We are taking it slow as it is driving me nuts too. We are hoping the novelity will wear off. And we be able to put him every hour. Follow your instincts, but I agree this is by far my least favorite process! Oh and we are gone most mornings so really the only time we deal with it is in the afternoon, and we wait virgin to bring it up, and we put him in underpants. Not sure if that's helpful to you...but you are not alone! Good luck!!

7. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Gotta love auto correct: virgin=we wait for him! Ugh!