Dressing Your Twins....

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Lrnomder, May 10, 2014.

1. Lrnomder

Lrnomder Well-Known Member

so I have an issue and was wondering if I'm not alone. Since I found out that I was having twins I swore I wouldn't dress them the same and kept that state of mind until they were born. since they were born, I have to dress them the same or I get extreme anxiety. I feel like one is cuter than the other if they are in different outfits and I can't find a solution. I have to have them in the same outfit always. The other day I left with them to go to a birthday party in different outfits and had to turn around and come back home to put them in the same outfits. I know it's weird and it's an issue I need to deal with personally, but I was wondering if anyone else feels the same way or has similar problems with dressing them?

2. paperclippy

paperclippy Well-Known Member

I sometimes dress in the same outfit, sometimes not.  If they are in different clothes and one is in a cuter outfit, the next day I will swap them, but really all of the outfits I buy are super cute so it is pretty even!  How old are your twins?  You may want to consult a doctor because there is a thing called postpartum obsessive compulsive disorder.  It's not the same thing as postpartum depression but it is a related anxiety disorder that is related to postpartum hormone changes.

3. monkeykids

monkeykids New Member

I am this way too! But i always had a thing for samey - samey things... I never intended not to dress them samey! I have boy/girl so of course not all outfits can match completely and I do get a bit sad if one is cuter!!

4. ThemysteryEfiles

ThemysteryEfiles New Member

I have 4 month old twin boys and I have always tried to make them equally as cute but different...for instance I buy outfits that are the same but maybe different colors or patterns... and one of my babies is the green baby and one is the blue baby so if it has green or blue on it then it goes to that respective baby...I sometimes dress them exactly the same though...we can get away with that because they are twins.  But sometimes one of my boys will get their clothes dirty with spit up or leakage and so I change both of their outfits...They dont have to match...but I at least like their outfits not to clash.  

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think I was somewhat like this in the first year, into the second. I would not go home to change them into identical outfits, but regularly started my day dressing them identically, then if they spit up/pooped through 'allowed' myself to change them into something that didn't match as I rarely had 3 of anything. I felt that they were babies and people were constantly comparing them anyway, if I dressed one in a little bit less fancy/cute clothes I was showing one favoritism or something.

What I would say is that there is hope! As you can see by my profile pic, my boys are not dressed identically or even coordinating. Around 2 or 3 I started asking them what they wanted to wear ("This" or "This"). Then, at 4 I just asked them which shirt they wanted to wear out of all the Tshirts or sweaters or whatever was appropriate for the weather. We still have some matching stuff and sometimes they choose that, but most of their stuff by necessity does not match- I don't buy anything new and the older they get the less matching Tshirts/etc you find 2nd hand that match.

In the meantime, if this is bothering you, you can start with baby steps- don't change both kids if one gets messy. Don't go back home; just take a deep breath and realize that they will be ok and are very cute in non matching clean clothes. :)

1 person likes this.