Double jogging stroller....worth it?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by hsuter, Jun 12, 2011.

1. hsuter

hsuter Well-Known Member

My kids are 2.5 and I've recently taken up jogging. I would love a nice BOB duallie jogging stroller, or really even a schwinn one would be great! But I"m wonder if its worth it....since they are 2.5 and might not use a stroller for a whole lot longer? I've gone over craigslist over and over in our area and areas my family lives in but just cant find a decent double jogger. I *MIGHT* be willing to spend $200 for a new one, and I know they have good resale value.
    Also, a friend said it was pretty difficult to run with a double jogger...anyone care to share their experiences?

Thoughts?

Thanks ladies!

2. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

As far as difficulty running with it, it really depends on what kind you get. It should definitely have a swivel front wheel that locks and unlocks (locked for running unlocked for walking). I had one and it does wear your arms out in the beginning, but once you have been running with it for a while, it gets a bit easier. My kids began to not want to ride in the stroller around 3 or so, plus they were getting big enough to walk instead of wanting to be pushed all the time. As far as will it be worth the money, it all depends on how much you are going to be running. If you plan on running several times a week, even only using it for 6 months will make it worth the money. However, if you only plan on using it once a week, then I would say no. I used my jogging stroller for everything, trips to the park, to the beach, running, so mine was well used for several years. Jogging strollers are great for going places that you couldn't take a regular stroller.

3. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

If the only time you have to jog is when you have the kids, invest in a jogger. I love our Bob duallie. If you watch the sales, you can get up to 30% off one. If you have time to jog when someone else is around to mind the kids, then I would rethink the investment. Jogging with the bob is fantastic but honestly, with 2+ year olds, the amount of time you will actually get to jog will be limited because they will either get bored or want to go to the playground instead.

4. MichB

MichB Well-Known Member

I agree with all the comments, we used a jogging stroller since birth for everything and they are so great. However, now that my kids are over 2 they really don't like going in it unless they are really tired. To be honest, I get tired of hearing "All done, mommy, I want to walk" over and over and over again until they get out of the stroller! Of course maybe that would be a good motivator to job really fast to get home and let them out. LOL.

by the way, if you do invest in one be careful you research the type as some are called 'jogging' strollers but are not really appropriate for actually running/jogging.

5. shannon713

shannon713 Active Member

I agree with previous posts as well. I bought the BOB duallie when the boys were 3months and began my running routine. While I am so happy to have it and I use it quite frequently for walks, zoo, park trips ect.. the older they get the less content they are in sitting in the stroller calmly for me. It does push like a dream (I can literally push with one hand) and I was running 6 to 7 miles with them when they were little but as they got older and heavier around 18 months it did become pretty difficult for me to push the stroller with ease. Personally now if having to choose one at my twins age I would probably get a cheaper jogging stoller or if you could find a BOB used and use the stroller for maybe short runs or run/walk stuff and then save serious runs for by yourself without children, it can be much more enjoyable that way :) The swivel wheel is awesome, too.

6. Eyler07

Eyler07 Well-Known Member

I have a double jogger that I use for everything. Shopping, walks and even Disney. I LOVE IT. I actually fit all three of my littles in it....Twins are 5 and the youngest is 3. I used it up until the beginning of this summer when the twins started walking more. I'd say that you would get alot of use and to totally go for it!!!

7. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I still have my jogging stroller and my girls are 4+. We rarely use it now, but used it a ton last year.

8. BigKyle

BigKyle Active Member

We have one that we absolutely love... The big wheels make its nice not just for jogging but walking in the park, and fairs in the summer time, the little wheels on their regular strollers sometimes are just too small for "off road" use.

Check craigslist, or your local "freecycle" groups. We would outs for $20 bucks on craigslist, its is a nice 5 point harness for each of the kids, and little speakers in the side that’s we can plus our iphones in to to play music while adventuring.

Between the jogging stroller and our wagon we hardly ever use the normal stroller.

I would defiantly recommend getting one...

9. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Depends on your kids, honestly mine would have a fit if I put them in a stroller for a walk, and it started when they were 2.5.

10. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I didn't run with ours, but FWIW, we used our Mountain Buggy Urban Double regularly until the kids were almost 4, and have even used it sporadically since then. It depends how stroller-friendly your kids are -- mine never really minded riding in it. If yours are still happily riding in a stroller at 2.5, I'd say get it -- you might get a couple of years' use out of it. It's so nice to have if you have activities that are within adult walking distance but just too far for kids.

11. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

My kids will still sit in a stroller/cart if I tell them they don't have a choice. We have a Baby Trend jogger we got at Babies R Us for just over $200 new. I've really liked it and been impressed. I'm sure the Baby Joggers are awesome, but this has been perfect for us.

And if it's hard to push, that's just a better workout, right?

12. Eyler07

Eyler07 Well-Known Member

If you get a double jogger, i'd suggest getting one with a swivel wheel b/c lifting the front wheel to turn is a pain!

13. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Same here.

I have a Valco Twin Trimode and I love it. I ran with it regularly. Definitely a great investment.

A swivel front wheel is a must in my book!