Don't understand sleep sacks...

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by leaudemiel, Jan 1, 2011.

1. leaudemiel

leaudemiel Well-Known Member

WE have a bunch of sleep sacks and I don't understand how to use them.

1) Can we? The boys are starting to roll over, and like to shimmy around they cribs. Wouldn't the sack just twist them up?

2) What do you wear with them? A onsie? Long sleeve pajamas?

We have been cranking the heat and putting them in fleece pajamas, but its a long winter!

2. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

My girls move a lot in their sleep and never seemed to get tangled in the sleep sack. We have light weight ones in a room that basically stays 72 degrees year round, so I just judge by the day if they would wear long-sleeved onesies or short sleeved ones. The only problem I've noticed is that now that the girls are standing, they seem to trip over the sleep sacks in the morning when they're waiting for me to arrive and they're talking and playing, so I've switched to footed PJs. We loved the sleep sacks though. They're great for nap time, just remove pants and put on sleep sack!

3. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

I love sleep sacs. I used them with my son until he moved to his bed boy bed just before he turned 2 and will do the same with my girls. I started using them at 2 months with my girls and they will also wear them until they move into big beds. My kids move a lot in their sleep and I have never had to go in because they were tangled. They avoid the need for blankets which they can get tangled up in. I have heavy ones for the winter and very light ones for the summer. Their room goes down to 18 celcius at night (65F?) in the winter, or lower, so I put fleece PJs on under the heavier sleep sac. They are always warm and toasty. In the summer I sometimes just do a diaper and the lightweight sleep sac since it can get pretty warm in their room. I use them year round as they are part of my "it's time to sleep" routine...they know when they see the sleep sac coming that it's nap time/bedtime. Another added benefit is that my son could never get his legs up over the crib rails with the sleep sac on so he never was able to climb out of his crib :).

4. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I loved the sleep sacks! I figured they were kept extra warm in them.

5. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

I used sleep sacks almost till potting training. They helped with their diaper "exploration"! We used them inside out and backwards for quite some time. You would be surprised at how well mine could run in them. They were in a toddler bed gated in their room. They looked like penguins. LOL But we LOVED our sleep sacs!!!

6. murtygirl

murtygirl Well-Known Member

I agree! LOVE sleep sacks! My DD is almost 3 and still wears hers at bedtime (agree that once the sleep sacks come out they know it is bedtime). They even have toddler ones with footholes if you look at them at Target online.

I put fleece jammies on my 4 month old twins in addition to the fleece Halo sleep sack in the winter. That way we dont have to crank up the heat so high. You know your kiddos best and what will keep them comfy. If they are warm natured than all the layers may not be neccessary. In summer I do light weight pj and the lightweight sack. Never had an issue with getting tangled up and with the sacks they cannot kick them off and get chilled like theuy can if they kick off a blanket (when they are older)I think you will like them, and it is a great way to teach the young ones that it's "time for night night". :spiteful:

I agree! LOVE sleep sacks! My DD is almost 3 and still wears hers at bedtime (agree that once the sleep sacks come out they know it is bedtime). They even have toddler ones with footholes if you look at them at Target online.

I put fleece jammies on my 4 month old twins in addition to the fleece Halo sleep sack in the winter. That way we dont have to crank up the heat so high. You know your kiddos best and what will keep them comfy. If they are warm natured than all the layers may not be neccessary. In summer I do light weight pj and the lightweight sack. Never had an issue with getting tangled up and with the sacks they cannot kick them off and get chilled like theuy can if they kick off a blanket (when they are older)I think you will like them, and it is a great way to teach the young ones that it's "time for night night". :spiteful:

7. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

Used them for about 3 years, they could walk stairs in them! It's the easies and safest to keep them warm. It all depended on the weather / temperature in the room what they would wear underneath ... onesie, regular pj, etc. Would never spend money on blankets, sheets, etc.!

8. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Same as all the PP's I still use them at 19 months.. they're so easy! They dont' get tangled in them and they don't wake at night because their blankets came off. We switched when they were busting out of their swaddles all the time and they'd wake up cold and uncomfortable. The sleep sacks put an end to that right away. I plan on using them as long as possible as my kids move around a lot at night and it's pretty cold here during the winter. Heck, I'd like one for myself!

9. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

love love love sleep sacks! we're not using much anymore b/c I guess we started using blankets... but like pp said sometimes they wake up in the night and its probably b/c they are out of the blanket.

as for walking in them. YEP, ours were masters!! just like penguins! I also was too cheap to buy a bigger size, so I just got some more fleece material at the store and added 12" or so to the bottom so that the zipper still worked. worked like a charm. I recommend getting a size big so they will still fit the shoulder area in a year to two.

again, loved them!

10. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

p.s. the other main reason I loved them was that before 2 yrs old they actually kept the kids from climbing out of their cribs. we finally had to get crib tents, but it bought us another 6 months or so from having to do that... it made it so that they couldn't hike their one leg up and over the crib rail.

11. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I love them, too. As a pp said, instead of wearing baby jeans for a nap, I pull off their pants and throw on a sleeveless fleecy sleep sack.

At night I have cotton jammies from Target which get a sleep sack, if they are not in feety pajamas.

In the summertime I did a long-sleeve onesie and a cotton sleepsack.