Don't 'cha hate it when people say...

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Chase&Parker's Mommy, May 21, 2008.

1. Chase&Parker's Mommy

Chase&Parker's Mommy Well-Known Member

I had my second baby just (insert months here) after my first one, so its just like having twins. NO, it’s not just like having twins / multiples. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard this and I’ve smiled and nodded and tried to move the conversation to something else. I know it’s a small pet peeve, but it really gets on my nerves.

Other Top 5 things people say when they see a double stroller:

1. “Are they twins?” I can kinda understand this one but if you have identicals, shouldn’t it be obvious???
    2. “Which one is better behaved / Which one do you like better?” I don’t like this comment at all. They’re 8 months old for goodness sake, they don’t know how to behave and I don’t even get me started on the second part of that question.
    3. “Are they boys or girls?” I always dress them in BLUE (I’ve always thought that was the international clothes “color” for boys) and the last time I had by boys out in public, I even put on “Cool Dude” bibs. I still got the question.
    4. “They’re identical, right?” Nope, one has a lot of brown hair and is 2 pounds heavier; the other one has just a little bit of blonde hair, with much different facial features than his brother.
    5. and the old standard comment... Wait for it...and whammy – “you’ve got your hands full” ugh!!! If each one of us had a dollar for each time we’re told that, we’d be able to pay for the kids college tuitions.

I know these are standards, but do you have any outrageous comments besides the everyday, run of the mill ones we all get???

Have a great day!!!

Angela

2. "They can't be twins, that one is so much bigger"

....youre right I stole that one and Im pretending they are twins....

3. AshleyLD

AshleyLD Well-Known Member

QUOTE(three_precious_girls @ May 21 2008, 07:43 AM) [snapback]785225[/snapback]
    "They can't be twins, that one is so much bigger"
    ....youre right I stole that one and Im pretending they are twins....

I have had people argue with me..
    I have told them.. Your right.. I just had 2 babies 2 months agart...

I hate it when people dont say anything to you,but mutter to their friend.. OMG I feel so bad for her..(the list goes on) For what?? I have 3 kids? I love my kids!!!

4. Britten

Britten Well-Known Member

"Are they both yours?" - nope, going out with one baby isn't hard enough, so I borrowed this other one just to challenge myself today.

"Double trouble" - boy aren't you clever! i've never heard that one before.

"Do twins run in your family?" - why? do you wanna marry my sister?

"How do you tell them apart?" - ummmm....they look nothing alike. whose kids are you looking at?

5. Britten

QUOTE(AshleyLD @ May 21 2008, 02:49 PM) [snapback]785243[/snapback]
    I have had people argue with me..
    I have told them.. Your right.. I just had 2 babies 2 months agart...

Yes, I love the ones that want to debate. I had one woman ask me if they were twins and when I said yes, she said "Really?" - like I had the time to stand there and lie to her. :huh:

6. prairiemom3

prairiemom3 Well-Known Member

"I'd kill myself." yes I'm serious, I got this one.

"Do twins run in your family?" - why? do you wanna marry my sister?
    this one kills me!!! I'll have to use it.

7. serranoboys

serranoboys Well-Known Member

I love "How'd you conceive them?" (got this yesterday from a neighbor I don't know AT ALL). Like it's any of theiir business! I wanted to say "well, it started with some kissing which led to some pretty heavy petting..." I mean, come on! How inappropriate is that for mailbox conversation?!

8. Chase&Parker's Mommy

Chase&Parker's Mommy Well-Known Member

I totally forgot about the “Double Trouble” one... geez, that's a winner for the most clever comment of the day ;)

9. Saramcc

Saramcc Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Chase&Parker @ May 21 2008, 07:40 AM) [snapback]785218[/snapback]
    I3. “Are they boys or girls?” I always dress them in BLUE (I’ve always thought that was the international clothes “color” for boys) and the last time I had by boys out in public, I even put on “Cool Dude” bibs. I still got the question.

hehe, what's funny is that I get this comment more than anything. What's crazy is that they see that one is wearing pink or blue or holding a pink or blue blanket.

10. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

i get "are they boys or girls?" all the time, and it always seems to happen when they are in all pink.
    a guy asked us if they were twins and DH replied with, "no, just that one is, and that's her sister..."
    i was at the mall and this girl walks by with a kid in a stroller, looked at my girls and said, "oh my god, and i thought i had it bad." i feel sorry for her kid!
    and the other day we were at target, adn this woman was rushing by and she goes, "twins? i'm a twin. best thing EVER!" i love those comments :)

11. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

"I think I'd shoot myself" is the most outrageous I've heard.

I'm definitely sick of "You have your hands full" and "Double trouble".

I did have a pleasant comment the other day. An older man approached us and I readied myself for the normal. Twins? Identical? How old? etc. Instead he said "Wow, you really hit the lotto with those two". Almost made a proud mommy cry.

12. Stinkpea

Stinkpea Well-Known Member

I have to confess - in the Bahamas I get a lot of "aren't you blessed" comments which I love.

But I have had more than my fair share of being asked "are they twins?"

And hate the don't you have your hands full or the best - better you than me.

Oh and I love the - "oh he has brown eyes and hers are blue"- really - I never noticed. WTH??

13. twinmuffin

twinmuffin Well-Known Member

I had a much older gentleman approach me the other day, and he said, "You have twins, Neato." He walked away, and I could hear him saying, "Neato, neato". I thought it was cute.

The only thing that really annoys me is the boy/girl thing. If i have my girls in gender neutral clothes I can understand, but I don't have many of those, and they are generally only worn on laundry day. Otherwise we are in girly clothes, so don't ask, look and see my cute girls in pink dresses and think girls!!

14. Lynner405

Lynner405 Well-Known Member

I actually had one lady ask if my kids were triplets....come on now....the twins and older DS are 20 months apart!! I almost laughed out loud!

15. esaesa

esaesa Well-Known Member

I get the which one is which all the time too - um the one with the pink fuzzy bow on her head is the girl and the one wearing the baseball shirt is the boy.

I think people ask if they run in your family as their "polite" way of asking if you struggled with fertility. As if it is any of their business if I had IVF or my body spontaneously dropped two eggs.

When people ask if my b/g are identical, I say "no, this one has a penis and this one has a vagina so that makes them very different". Strangers seem to not like hearing those words from another stranger and usually shut up quick. :p

16. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

I don't think that everyone asking the "Do they run in your family?" question is trying to find out if we underwent fertility treatments. I had asked that question in the past (I know, annoying), but all I wanted to know was if they ever expected they would have twins. It's just a wonderful thing and I was genuinely interested. At the time I just couldn't imagine the surprise, shock, excitement of something like that happening to me. If they run in your family like a friend of mine, it's a surprise, but not a complete take your breath away shock. They didn't run in my family and while extremely excited I still walked around for about a week with just "There's two, there's really two" constantly running through my head.

Also, I got the perfect response to that question here on TS - "They do now"

17. marcy874

marcy874 Well-Known Member

My MOM's group had a dinner meeting Monday night and our very country bumpkin waiter adresses' the entire group and asks, "So how many of your twins were natural and how many were from IVF?" I was floored!!

18. hilly

hilly Well-Known Member

QUOTE(serranoboys @ May 21 2008, 03:27 PM) [snapback]785324[/snapback]
    I love "How'd you conceive them?" (got this yesterday from a neighbor I don't know AT ALL). Like it's any of theiir business! I wanted to say "well, it started with some kissing which led to some pretty heavy petting..."

LOVE IT! :rofl:

19. MissyEby

MissyEby Well-Known Member

QUOTE(marcy874 @ May 21 2008, 12:01 PM) [snapback]785422[/snapback]
    My MOM's group had a dinner meeting Monday night and our very country bumpkin waiter adresses' the entire group and asks, "So how many of your twins were natural and how many were from IVF?" I was floored!!

:blink:

20. cat419

cat419 Well-Known Member

I get "can you tell them apart yet?" ALL the time. And I look at them, and then look at the person like they have 12 heads. They're 5 months old, with a 5 lbs weight difference, different hair color, differnet eye color ... uh, you'd be blind to not see the difference.

The other one that I get a lot is "when did you know it was twins?" ... and I say "pretty early on" and they get all "well, that's good, so at least you were prepared". As opposed to? Going to the hospital only expecting one baby and coming home with two?

21. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

People seem to be very disturbed by the fact that one of my kids has a bunch of hair and the other appears to have none (he has a little bit of white-ish peach fuzz). The one with hair is also heavier so people always say "he must be older" and when I inform them it's only by one minute, they feel vindicated and say "yep, you can tell!". Since when does ONE minute make the difference between no hair and 2 inches of it, or a 3-lb weight difference?

What kills me is that when we go out with the boys in the stroller, people can't stop talking to us-- the usual twins comments... however, when I go out ALONE with the boys to the grocery store, I strap one baby onto my body in a baby carrier and put the other in the cart seat. So, within 18 inches of the front of my body, there are TWO babies! I think that's much more note-worthy than two kids in a stroller. Even so, NO ONE ever talks to us or asks about "twins" when we're set up like that.

22. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(esaesa @ May 21 2008, 11:44 AM) [snapback]785366[/snapback]
    When people ask if my b/g are identical, I say "no, this one has a penis and this one has a vagina so that makes them very different". Strangers seem to not like hearing those words from another stranger and usually shut up quick. :p

I am so glad I'm not the only one who does that!

23. JensBoys

JensBoys Well-Known Member

Urg...My MIL had 2 kids 11 months apart and was convinced it was the same thing until she started babysitting for us when they were about 11 months. She quickly changed her tune :lol:

24. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

QUOTE(cat419 @ May 21 2008, 09:31 AM) [snapback]785493[/snapback]
    The other one that I get a lot is "when did you know it was twins?" ... and I say "pretty early on" and they get all "well, that's good, so at least you were prepared". As opposed to? Going to the hospital only expecting one baby and coming home with two?

I have a good friend whose sister did this just 2 years ago. Even had ultrasounds and never knew until in teh delivery room. I don't understand but it does happen even today.

I had a lady say, "I always hear double trouble, but I think double blessings" THat was nice.

25. bstone716

bstone716 Well-Known Member

"better you than me"

Darn skippy better me than you if that's your attitude!

And DH and I just hate the general attention we get whenever we're out in public...please tell me it gets better...

Becky

26. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(bstone716 @ May 21 2008, 06:04 PM) [snapback]785734[/snapback]
    And DH and I just hate the general attention we get whenever we're out in public...please tell me it gets better...

We are at 17 months and get stopped all the time :hug99: Sorry. But I have gotten used to it. If I am in a hurry I dont make eye contact and just keep going. If not, I smile and nod.

27. jdio33

jdio33 Well-Known Member

This is my absolute BIGGEST pet peeve........when people with singltons actually compair how big they were during pregnancy to ME!!!! My cousin had her baby 4 months before me...ok. She actually said one time when I said how big I was "oh no! you should have seen me? I was sooooo huge!" UMMMMM hello! Plus I had BIG babies... 7lbs 3oz and 6lbs 6 oz. I think both of my boys may have even weighed more then her ONE baby!!!! :blink:

A wal-mart worker came up to me and asked if the boys were identical? I said nope they aren't. She's like really they look like they are? I'm like yeah but they aren't. So she stands there looking at them with a confused look on her face. It was very weird. So I was just like ok....see ya later....and as I'm walking away she is still saying are you sure? They REALLY look identical. I just pretended I couldn't hear her. :huh:

I also hate it when people say they had thier children so close that they were like twins.....ummmm yeah take mine for a day and see what ya think. ;)

Double trouble...........duh.....I would pay money to never hear that again...... :rolleyes:

And then there are the moms in my mommies group. When I first started the first 2 or 3 meetups were like news people asking me about daily life with twins. How do you shower? What if they are both hungry at the same time? What if they cry at the same time?

I know someone also put something about shopping with the double stroller and everyother person stops to look but if you only have one nobody looks..... :lol:

It's like being a celebrity sometimes :D

28. Britten

QUOTE(bstone716 @ May 21 2008, 06:04 PM) [snapback]785734[/snapback]
    "better you than me"

Darn skippy better me than you if that's your attitude!

Becky

Once we got out of the double snap-n-go with the pink infant seats, it got a little better. Pushing around two infant seats was like wearing a neon sign that said "TWINS OVER HERE! ASK ME A STUPID QUESTION PLEASE!" Now that they are in the side-by-side we get a little less attention.

29. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

The other day I got "Are they related?". I thought that was a pretty unique way of asking "are they twins?".

30. bstone716

bstone716 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mommymeg @ May 21 2008, 03:07 PM) [snapback]785896[/snapback]
    The other day I got "Are they related?". I thought that was a pretty unique way of asking "are they twins?".

That's awesome! I hope you had some snappy comeback for them... ;)

31. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

I got "please tell me you're babysitting" today. That was a new one for me.

I think some of the stranger ones are people trying to be nice and make conversation, but not knowing what to say. Why they feel compelled to say anything, I don't know.

The one I like best, though, is we've been told a few times that "you have a really nice family". :wub:

32. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We usually get nice comments when we take our twosome out but the one I love is when people ask us if they are boys or girls. Um, my daughter is in a dress, usually wearing pink or purple and my son wears a lot of blue and usually will have a dinosaur or something boyish on his shirt...you can't tell? One day, I think my reply will be: "neither. we don't label our children like that..." :)

33. witmuch

witmuch Well-Known Member

About two weeks ago a I had to get some things at Wal-mart and this lady was looking at the carseats like a monkey doing a math problem and I thought I'd be nice and so I suggested the ones that I use for our girls. This lady looks at me with a strange face after hearing one of the Wal-mart employees say, "They are absolutely adorable!" and the lady looking at the car seats said, "You do know what causes that right?" Me standing there with my 4 year old and our twins, I just looked back and said, "I have two boys also," again she said, "You really do know right?" :angry: That was it, I said, "Yes I do, and I want more!" She didn't say much, but I could help but think that our society is strongly against having more than three kids per family and that is just not right. What the heck is wrong with people???

Meshell

34. HinSD

HinSD Well-Known Member

QUOTE(bday111707 @ May 21 2008, 10:30 AM) [snapback]785330[/snapback]
    hehe, what's funny is that I get this comment more than anything. What's crazy is that they see that one is wearing pink or blue or holding a pink or blue blanket.

haha I really throw people off. I have a pink/green blanket and a blue/green blanket. So eventhough both of their car seats are PINK and flowery, I still get asked if the one w/ the blue blanket is a boy!

35. two.heartbeats

two.heartbeats Well-Known Member

So which one is older?

Hate that one!!!!