Does your school do this

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by daasmommy, Oct 22, 2008.

1. daasmommy

daasmommy Well-Known Member

This is my first year in school. And boy has it changed since I was little. (wow that makes me sound old :eek: )

Instead of a Halloween party, the boys are having a Fall Festival this Friday. And since it is not a Halloween party they are not dressing up. Why even have a party at all? They have a Christmas party not a Holiday party. I am so confused :unsure: .

2. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

We actually have a Holiday party in the winter time, but do have a Halloween party. The kids dress in their costumes, and then have a party at the end of the day on Halloween.

3. ehm

ehm Banned

We have a fall festival, no Halloween party and no Christmas party. Nothing is specific to any one holiday, it is winter carnival, fall festival etc etc. Fall is a great time of year to celebrate, the children make applesauce, drink cider, study/paint pumpkins. They really enjoy the festival and have never dressed up any of their school years so they don't know what they are missing ( I remember dressing up and parading through classrooms etc etc).

(They paint pumpkins not pain pumpkins)

4. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

The school Hayden and Brady attended last year was the first one I've been involved with that did not have a Halloween party/parade. The classrooms had fall parties. There were no costumes, and the focus had to be autumn.

The principal gave several reasons:

1. Not all the kids can afford costumes, so it's not fair that some get to dress up and some don't.
    2. With costumes, you can't tell who people are, and someone might sneak in who has no business being in the school.
    3. Costumes and a parade take too much time away from classwork.

The parents argued that we could do an evening dress-up Monster Bash Dance, which would take care of 1 and 3, and not allow masks, which would take care of 2. (Number 2 seems so alarmist to me anyway -- all visitors have to go through the office and sign in.

Now my kids are at a school that has Halloween classroom parties, a big parade around the school, and an evening costume dance. I like it a lot better this way!

5. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

costumes aree too distracting in class. Our kids don't do a halloween party either. Fall festival and winter festival at our school.

6. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(sharongl @ Oct 22 2008, 02:12 PM) [snapback]1037067[/snapback]
    We actually have a Holiday party in the winter time, but do have a Halloween party. The kids dress in their costumes, and then have a party at the end of the day on Halloween.

Us too.

7. PumpkinPies

PumpkinPies Well-Known Member

Growing up, we never had Halloween parties or dressed up for school (1971 - 1984, FWIW).

I've worked in a school for 13 years now, and we've never had a Halloween party. Any dress-ups are somehow educational (i.e., Fox in Socks day for Dr. Seuss). Kindergarten does a "Pumpkin Festival," no other parties. Honestly, we don't miss it because most of the kids have never had a Halloween party at school.

8. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

All the school I've worked in have Halloween parties at the end of the day.

This year I am working in Catholic schools and they are even more into it than the public schools I've worked in. The public schools have had Christmas parties as well, They talk about other December holidays but mostly Chirstmas. Of course in the Catholic schools, Christmas is a big thing. (Jesus AND Santa)

9. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

DS2's school does a Fall Festival fund-raiser on a Saturday in late October (it's a private school). The public schools do nothing. Well, the Kindergarten kids do get a field trip to a pumpkin patch, which they greatly enjoy. But no talking about Halloween, and *no* Halloween decorations. No witches, full moons, black cats, mummies, Frankensteins, etc. Just colored leaves and bare trees and decorations like that. I can understand the costumes thing. When I was a kid that was held at night, and after all the trouble my mom went through making their costumes I really don't want to send them to school in them, but to essentially have to pretend Halloween doesn't exist seems like taking things tooooo faaaaar.

10. OneBoyOneGirl

OneBoyOneGirl Well-Known Member

QUOTE(rubyturquoise @ Oct 22 2008, 11:16 PM) [snapback]1037599[/snapback]
    DS2's school does a Fall Festival fund-raiser on a Saturday in late October (it's a private school). The public schools do nothing. Well, the Kindergarten kids do get a field trip to a pumpkin patch, which they greatly enjoy. But no talking about Halloween, and *no* Halloween decorations. No witches, full moons, black cats, mummies, Frankensteins, etc. Just colored leaves and bare trees and decorations like that. I can understand the costumes thing. When I was a kid that was held at night, and after all the trouble my mom went through making their costumes I really don't want to send them to school in them, but to essentially have to pretend Halloween doesn't exist seems like taking things tooooo faaaaar.

Its the war on Halloween. :D My son actually has fall break the Oct 30th-Nov 5th. I cant ever remember not having to go to school on Halloween. I havent heard yet if there will a party or not before they get out.

11. LisaGoeke

LisaGoeke Well-Known Member TS Moderator

No Halloween party here either. :( They stopped it several years ago. Now we have a "fall" party, and it's tomorrow, for one hour. Also, if it's before lunch (almost all the parties are since they have them on our half days) no food can be served and parties can no longer be during the lunch period (like bringing in pizza for party/lunch) as everyone must eat lunch in the cafeteria. They're taking away all the fun of parties. :angry: I remember sooo looking forward to our Halloween parties at school, the snacks, and of course the dressing up in costume.

12. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

We are at a Catholic school so we do Halloween , Christmas, etc. My kids would really miss it if we didn't. 3 of my brothers teach in Cincinnati public schools, no Halloween or Christmas.

13. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

QUOTE(momof5 @ Oct 23 2008, 05:40 AM) [snapback]1038337[/snapback]
    We are at a Catholic school so we do Halloween , Christmas, etc. My kids would really miss it if we didn't. 3 of my brothers teach in Cincinnati public schools, no Halloween or Christmas.

My experience is completely the opposite. My boys attend a Christian school as well, and there is no mention at all of Halloween. We do Christmas, Easter, etc.. Joy attends the public school and she does have a Halloween party.

14. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

Catholic school here - we have Halloween parties the afternoon of the 31st. Love them!

15. caba

caba Banned

What a bummer! I loved dressing up in school ... and having the HAlloween party ... geesh! I have no idea what our public schools do .. are mine are too young ... but there daycare is having a Halloween week ... pumpkin picking one day ... an event each day ... with a big parade and party on Friday ... I am leaving work early to attend!

16. mich17

mich17 Well-Known Member

No real costume party. They have a Renaissance Rewind. They can dress like it was 1950. Thats it. It just isn't fun anymore!

17. Jill R.

Jill R. Well-Known Member

No Halloween parties here either. Ally's in a charter school, and each class does their own harvest party if they're good. Jack's in a regular public school and they don't do any parties.

18. Jberman

Jberman Well-Known Member

Where I live they still have a Holloween party in the younger elementary school. I have a good friend who is an elementary school teacher, (in Long Island, NY) the 1st two schools she taught at did not do Holloween parties, or any holiday parties for that matter (they had many families who where Jehovah witnesses) however, the school where she is right now they do a BIG thing that everyone in the school including teachers get dressed up for and other holidays as well. This school theory is if you do NOT want your kids to partisapate then don't send them or pick them up early that day.

19. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The schools in our county get to choose 2 parties to have each year. I have taught at 3 schools in this county and they never had a halloween party, it was Valentine's day and end of the year party. But the school my DD goes to, they choose to have a "fall festival" and party and a Valentine's day party. The fall festival party is a Halloween party, they just don't call it that. They have a costume parade around the whole school and then each class has a party. Parents can choose for their kids not to participate if they don't want them to.

20. 4kids4Cat

4kids4Cat Well-Known Member

Our preschool had a Harvest party, and the kids dressed up like pumpkins or wore leaf wreathes, etc. Now, K&K are in public elementary school, and they get to celebrate Halloween. They can wear costumes to school, but no heavy make-up, masks or play weapons. There will be a parade and party in the afternoon, and parents are encouraged to attend.

21. anicosia

anicosia Well-Known Member

Our PTA hosts a "Community Harvest Party" on an evening near Halloween, the whole town is invited. This year it was on a Saturday. They do a "trick or treat" lane where the kids go down the exterior halls and get treats from some of the teachers. They have a dance, games, food, a bounce house and all kinds of fun things for the kids to do. We didn't make it this year, it conflicted with a prior commitment, but last year they sold 10 tickets for $1 to play the carnival games and to get cotton candy or popcorn. I doubt it's been much of a fundraiser but they might come close to breaking even on the expenses.

22. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Wow! I am surprised at how many schools do not do a Halloween Party.

I was teaching up until the girls were born and the public school disctrict I was in did a Halloween Party. No cosutmes until right before the party (brought in a bag to school) and the parties were at the END of the day with a parade around the school right before dismissal.

Costumes had to be 'gore' free, no masks, and we had a small selection of 'free' costumes on loan from other teachers (their old ones) for kids that forgot/could not afford a costume/were wearing costumes not appropriate for school.

It was a lot of fun and since it was Halloween Day---most young kids could not focus well anyhow. School is alot of work--some of it should also be learning how to have fun and behave in a 'fun' atmosphere. Kids learn more than academics at school (social skills, how to get along in groups, taking turns, participating in group activities, etc) that help them develop into socially responsible adults.

They also did Holiday Parties (Hannakuah/Christmas) and Valentines....no Easter (over spring break).

My girls are in a private Christian Preschool and they are having a Halloween Party.

KC

23. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

At the girls previous school they had a little halloween party, but no costumes, just to wear orange and black. at their new school I was surprised to hear they can wear their costumes, they are very excited. They are both catholic schools.

24. marose

marose Well-Known Member

My DS's school doesn't allow them to dress in costumes during school hours, but this year (for the first the time) they are having a Halloween party that night. This might be because it is a catholic school but I know that the public school doesn't allow costumes either.

DD's universal pre-k school (private school, publicly funded) is having a Halloween party.

25. Side by Side

Side by Side Well-Known Member

No costumes on Friday for my girls either...I do have orange halloween t shirts though.

They are doing a Harvest Pizza Party at lunch time. Not much else as far as I know.

26. sharon_with_j_and_n

sharon_with_j_and_n Well-Known Member

This Wednesday the kindergarten classes all do Halloween activities in the gym. The girls wear their costumes in the AM, but need to change into their regular clothes in the afternoon. On Friday they are doing a fundraiser Halloween dance (all grades have a one hour dance; kindergartners go for the first hour). They wear orange and black. I did think last year that it was a lot for parents to go out and buy an orange piece of clothing if they didn't own one. But wearing Halloween colours is optional.

Our girls also go to a Catholic school (DH is Catholic, I am not but the school is the French Immersion school for our district and it is publically-funded. Our city has two school boards--long complicated story) but there has never been an objection to "Halloween" or wearing costumes at our school. They do a Christmas party and pageant as well so things at this school are similar to what I did growing up.

27. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sharon, I have a pretty quick answer to the public/Catholic board topic. Let me know if you ever need it. (says the United girl who works in Catholic schools)

28. mar66rus2

mar66rus2 Well-Known Member

We ALWAYS had Halloween parties and Christmas parties at the school we attended. They still do...they actually have a party for every holiday..including Easter and St. Patrick's Day.

The school Emily went to for Kindergarten and 1st did not have Halloween parties. They had Fall Festival which was so stupid...and I really mean stupid. Very boring. I guess this year they are having parties, but not dressing up.

The school she is at night now (same school district) has an entire day filled with activities. First they do the Pumpkin Run in the morning. All elementaries do this though. They give out pumpkins to the winners from running a mile. They practice all fall for it...it is a pretty big event. Then in the afternoon, the kids get to dress-up, do an outdoor parade, and then party. This is Thursday for us since it they are off Friday for teacher inservice. In the evening that day, we will take all the kids to the high school for trick-or-treating there. The high school kids decorate the rooms in different themes, and they have games and crafts in the cafteria/gym. It is really fun! Emily also had a Halloween Dance at her school this past Friday which was fun too!!

I think they have Christmas parties too, but not sure of the extent of them. I do know the principal is showing Polar Express to the entire school the last day before break. He pretty much takes the entire class body and gives the teachers two hours for themselves....almost an extra planning. He does it right before Spring Break too.

29. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

I just found out that yes our school has a Halloween party and parade. We need to send the costumes into the school with the kids and then they change into them later on in the day. Then they get lined up and they have a parade in the parking lot or if it's raining they have it in the gym so all the parents can see. It sounds really cute. But they are not aloud to bring in masks or weapons of any kind.

30. twinbears

twinbears Well-Known Member

No party at all here.

31. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

Our school isn't having any sort of party but the kids are having a pajama day in lieu of costumes. It's Christian school though so there may be some parents who don't like Halloween.

32. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

We just found out that Madison's class is having a fall festival party, and Tabitha's teacher is not doing anything at all! I asked if I could bring in apple cider for both classes however so Tabitha did not feel left out. She would see me drop it off for M, but not for her, and it is not worth her feelings being hurt (it is her absolute favorate drink) because her teacher did not want to do anything special at all. Just another day....
    I however will be completely all decked out for work with full face make up and costume and all when I drop them off. My work is having a contest with a mystery "cool gift" for people that dress up, and I figure why not? ;)

33. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

They didn't have a party but they had a pajama day in lieu of costumes. The kids thought it was awesome. We go to a Christian school though so I'm sure there are a few parents who don't celebrate Halloween.

34. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Emerald @ Oct 30 2008, 08:57 PM) [snapback]1049306[/snapback]
    We just found out that Madison's class is having a fall festival party, and Tabitha's teacher is not doing anything at all! I asked if I could bring in apple cider for both classes however so Tabitha did not feel left out. She would see me drop it off for M, but not for her, and it is not worth her feelings being hurt (it is her absolute favorate drink) because her teacher did not want to do anything special at all. Just another day....
    I however will be completely all decked out for work with full face make up and costume and all when I drop them off. My work is having a contest with a mystery "cool gift" for people that dress up, and I figure why not? ;)

Kira's class had a party after the Halloween parade that they do at their school and the parents were also invited to it. But Katrina's class didn't have a party, they just had a few snacks after the parade and basically did the same thing as a regular day. It's hard when they are in two different classes and the teachers do different things. The parade was really nice though the whole school kindergarten through 5th grade all line up in costume and walk around the parking lot in a line so everyone can see them. It was really nice seeing all the costumes.