Does your babysitter tell you everything that happens?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Ericka B, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Ericka B

Ericka B Well-Known Member

I work four days a week from 9-4 and I have a babysitter that watches them at my house. I want to trust her and I do but sometimes I feel like I hold her to a different standard than I do myself. My boys are at that age where they are into absolutely everything and they climb everything. I have to admit that my boys have fallen, hit their heads, fallen off of things climbed onto the kitchen tabel, gotten into things they should have, fallen out of their cribs etc..... I even walked out of the room the other day to get their lunch and came back to find them both somehow sitting in their high chairs (they climbed the shelf next to them and climbed in :eek:

So everyday she tells me Jack fell off of this today, or James got into that today or Jack climbed this etc.... Well today Dh got home and she left before I got home from work. So I get a call from her and she tells me "I just called because I wanted you to know what happened today." She had put them down for a nap and closed the door and she could hear them just jabbering away and thought nothing of it. It was quiet for a while and when she heard James start babbling again a while later she deciced to get them up. Well when she went in James was in Jack's crib and Jack was sleeping on the floor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:. I really do love her and I want to trust her but I just worry. It is totally something I could see happening since they do something new every week but OMG! Does anything like this ever happen to anyone's sitters and do I need to do anything about this? What can I do? I know she LOVES the boys and loves watching them, they are always fed and clean, in clean clothes happy AND the house is clean when I get home.

2. Merijo

Merijo Well-Known Member

My own two pulled a similar stunt a few weeks to a month ago. One climbed out of his bed and was in the other guys bed pestering him. I heard nothing out of the ordinary. So, I would not be surprised if they pulled this one on her in stealth mode. I got a clib tent for the climber and so far we have nipped it. The other guy is in a sleigh crib so no-can-do with the crib tent.

I also *worry* sometimes about my two days a week nanny letting then cry for too long when going for a nap or something else weird or against my parenting style. I am pretty darn sure though that she is as kind and considerate as I am (sometimes more so!!!). I think she listens pretty well and has been with us for enough time to know how we do things around here. I'll bet your lady at 4 days a week is pretty good too. If you are truely getting bad vibes from her then sit down and talk about it. You and dh have every right to question her occasionally and if she gets offended then tough pooh.

MJ

3. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

Ericka, she sounds like a pretty good babysitter. My guys are like yours--- something new every week! My nanny (or babysitter if you want to call her that) watches them two days a week and my mom the other three. They do the same stuff with both my mom and my nanny AND with us! They are toddlers and get into everything!

What I do like about your babysitter is that she does tell you everything. It's a good thing that she does because some do not. Mine tells me everything too sometimes calling me at home later to tell me things. But I appreciate it because I know she loves them and wants me to feel like I was there. I also worry about my kids too when I am not there. That is only natural.

:hug: I am sure she is doing a good job with them. :hug:

Oh and my pulled the stealth move from one crib to another also at about 14 months old. We have a crib tent now. :)

4. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I think the fact that she made it a point to call and tell you is a good thing. Otherwise, there is no way you would have even known.

I would go out and get them crib tents ASAP, though!

5. JDMummy

QUOTE(sharongl @ Aug 29 2008, 08:32 PM) [snapback]954144[/snapback]
    I think the fact that she made it a point to call and tell you is a good thing. Otherwise, there is no way you would have even known.

I second that thought!

6. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

She did good!
    I'd give her a hug (maybe a raise?) and buy those crib tents.
    I am thinking about putting them up myself (I have had them waiting...) since every time I go in, one child has EVERYTHING in their crib. The other - nothing!!!!

7. Ericka B

Ericka B Well-Known Member

Both of their cribs are convertible cribs where the back is higher than the front, do they make crib tents for those?

8. JDMummy

QUOTE(Ericka B @ Aug 29 2008, 10:41 PM) [snapback]954311[/snapback]
    Both of their cribs are convertible cribs where the back is higher than the front, do they make crib tents for those?

I think the crib tent can still fit on those. I would read the description on the website. :)

9. doubledownmom

doubledownmom Well-Known Member

sounds like a great babysitter to me!

10. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone else. The fact that she went out of her way to tell you is a GREAT thing! My sitter also gives me the daily status reports of bumps and bruises and I appreciate knowing what happened.

11. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Ericka B @ Aug 30 2008, 02:41 AM) [snapback]954311[/snapback]

Yup! They work with these. I have them as well.

12. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

QUOTE(sharongl @ Aug 30 2008, 12:32 AM) [snapback]954144[/snapback]

Same thought I had. She could've totally NOT told you about that and you would've never known. They aren't at an age where they can tell you. I think it's great that she called and told you what happened...would make me have even more confidence in her (unless you are questioning other things that she does or does not do).

I do daycare for a 2 yo boy and his 4 yo sister. The 2 yo boy is a total clutz. OMG, he's always falling down, bumping into things. I feel like I'm a broken record saying "stop running, slow down, you're going to get hurt doing that, etc." Last week I had to call his mom at work b/c him and his sister were holding hands and running around the house (my downstairs is a BIG circle). I literally was just getting ready to say "no more running, you guys know better" when BAM, he starts screaming. He comes around the corner and had totally run into the corner of my wall...well, I think his sister probably had a hand in pulling him into it since she was the "leader" whenthey wree running with holding hands. He had a HUGE goose egg on his forehead and you could see the line that the wall indented into his head. I felt absolutely horrible. I coudln't have done anything to prevent this though. He had a big old bruise and goose egg for probably 3 days. The mom was glad I called, but also wasn't surprised that he did that. She said that he's done worse (on the corner of a fireplace hearth...OUCH).

13. dawnmj

dawnmj Well-Known Member

We had a similar situation happend a few months after our nanny started. I got a text message at work from her telling me that when she went up to get them from their naps Haley had somehow gotten into Megans crib. She said she heard nothing until they woke up, which is not unusual. The girls like your are into something new every day.

My nanny and I are in constanct communication via text message if she needs something or want to know how the girls are doign on the days I am not home. We have since gotten crib tents for the girls and our nanny continues to be great!

Congrats on finding someone who is so willing and able to communicate with you even the not so good stuff.

14. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

Sounds great to me as well. :D

There's no way she could have prevented that. Eventually, babies climb out of their cribs and the way you usually find out is by going in later on and seeing them somewhere else. Now you know and can get those crib tents. :)

15. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

QUOTE(sharongl @ Aug 30 2008, 12:32 AM) [snapback]954144[/snapback]

I agree.