Does one of your twin get ill more than the other?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by travellingmum, Jul 12, 2011.

1. travellingmum

travellingmum Well-Known Member

My boys are 2 1/2 now. One of them, who is 5lbs smaller, is always sick. He's low on the percentile chart, but I don't feel that he is underweight. He's just a small person. Since last fall, he's had viral infections, croup, a chest infection, febrile seizures, colds etc. And there are concerns with his hearing (3rd hearing test since March is next week) a speech delay and an accident last month that resulted in minor surgery. He has been to the doctor many times. We're off to the doctor again tomorrow because he's ill again and the skin on his hands is peeling very badly. This poor child can't catch a break and I feel terrible for him. His twin isn't like this at all. If he get a cold, he shakes it off in a day or two. He's never once had a fever. As babies here are weighed and vaccinated by nurses, he's almost never seen a doctor. I can't believe the difference between the boys. Does anyone else have twins like this, where one is more susceptible for illness?

2. ohtwinmom

ohtwinmom Well-Known Member

Definitely! My one son gets sick a lot. His brother about half as much. Even when they both get sick, he gets it worse. Right now they both have a little cold, but M's turns into croup. We've had croup so many times!

3. BaileyandMarleysMom

BaileyandMarleysMom Well-Known Member

Same here. Every time something comes around she gets it and seems so much sicker than her sister. She's had to have iv at least 3 times in the last year because she became so dehydrated from vomiting. It seems like whenever she gets sick in any way she is sure to vomit and have a fever. It's scary but hopefully her immune system is stronger with each bout of whatever.

I hope that your little one is getting stronger and stronger every day.

4. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Yup. Except the one who gets sick more/worse is 2 1/2" taller and 6 lbs heavier. She is a sturdy kid, but she always gets more sick than her sister.

5. Lougood

Lougood Well-Known Member

Definitely! My smaller one would get everything worse than her sister. Thankfully though they both seem to be sick less since they turned 4. Whatever bug she catches though always ends in throwing up and a fever.

6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

In the month of April my sickie had a ER trip for dehydration, a scheduled procedure and a surgery. I had to keep both of them home to avoid germs as they'd been sick continually since January.

My other boy gets a cold, but nothing like the sickie with the surgeries and procedures.