Does it really resurface 12mo later?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by three_precious_girls, Mar 4, 2008.

How many of you dealt (or didnt deal) with PPD after the children were born, overcame it, only to have it resurface again later? I am surprised to be dealing with these demons again after I thought it was all over. Please share your experiences... what did you do to get on top of it.....a second time?? :rolleyes:

1. Tracy O

Tracy O Well-Known Member

Hi three precious girls,
    I don't have an experience for you. I did overcome ppd after the girls were born, with meds. And things have been better. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone and to give you a BIG :hug99: I hope someone else has a helpful story for you. T

2. anicosia

anicosia Well-Known Member

For me, it wasn't a simple case of PPD. PPD made me aware that I wasn't all that level before the kids. I was on meds for over a year after the twins were born chalking everything up to ppd and anxiety from the NICU. It wasn't until this past year, when I became very sick and spent some time in the hospital with complications from diabetes that I discovered that my anxiety wasn't a short lived issue. I went back on meds after my diabetes diagnosis, again to deal with depression and anxiety. The initial reason this time was based on an adjustment disorder but the decision has since been made to keep me on the meds. I find that I am easier to deal with and happier this way. My doc and I have an on going discussion about the best ways to continue all aspects of my treatment.

3. All Boys

All Boys Well-Known Member

I went on and off the meds for PPD after Gregory. Then on again after giving birth to the twins... it was REALLY bad that second time. I continued to experience depression AND anxiety and the doc kept increasing my dosage and changing me to other pills. The last I was on was effexor xr 150/ day. I was starting to feel like I needed another adjustment around Christmas time.... but I held off. And then I decided to quit them to see what would happen. I realized I had been on them for almost 3 years this time and wanted to stop it because of some TERRIBLE sleeping problems. Of course my sanity is #1. But I could not understand why I was on 3 years for PPD? And I had been progressively sleeping worse and worse. It was really hard to quit. I cut my dose in half sveral times over 2 month period, and finally came clean about 2 weeks ago.
    The thing for me was even though their birth got farther and farther away on the calendar, I kept needing MORE and stronger ones. After a couple years I thought maybe I just needed to learn to deal with it and try to quit. I can always re- start if I think I need to. I feel like a new woman .
    I am not trying to encourage you to quit your meds at all. I guess I am just trying to say that each of our lives bring unique things to us... and impact our bodies in different ways. I do still feel the beginnings of anxiety attacks at times, and am learning to slow myself down to deal with them. But I am not depressed now, which I swear I was moreso when on the meds even in January. Just trying to say that we each need to listen to our own bodies. I think we will always get the best results that way. If you think it is X... follow your gut and go with that. Do whatever you need to do to get things right.And be sure to tell your doc everything u are feeling and ask all the questions you have.
    I hope someone else has a similar experience to yours. But I would guess it is not unusual to feel like it is getting worse after something major like a hospitalization like yours. :hug99:

4. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

QUOTE(anicosia @ Mar 4 2008, 07:50 PM) [snapback]652963[/snapback]
    For me, it wasn't a simple case of PPD. PPD made me aware that I wasn't all that level before the kids. I was on meds for over a year after the twins were born chalking everything up to ppd and anxiety from the NICU. It wasn't until this past year ... that I discovered that my anxiety wasn't a short lived issue.

This is me. My doc and I discussed the issue and I'm still on meds. I've had a host anxiety-related health issues in the past, and since I started taking meds after the boys' birth, I feel great. I went off for a couple of months and I couldn't handle it. Just my story though.

5. Im wondering if maybe that is part of my problem. When I felt it coming on the first time after my twins were born, I went on the meds. I felt better, but my family felt I was strange being so calm and passive. (I am normally a giddy emotional person) I would consider going back on them, but my family is really against it. I dont know if I should fight the issue or not. I am feeling progressively worse, but things in our lives are more stressful right now too....that doesnt help that I have PPD still.
    I am still trying to decide if it IS PPD or it is general anxiety/depression disorder. I truly do appreciate all your stories and experiences too. I know this is such a personal subject to be talking about.

6. Tracy O

Tracy O Well-Known Member

Hi
    I was reading the part about that your family is use to your giddy emotional person, how do you feel, maybe your dosage could be lowered. I am not a dr, just a little insite.

I am getting a new doc at the end of March. I went of the meds when I was pg and felt great and then the girls were born and I actually had a nurse at the hospital tell me I was not going to be able to raise these girls because of my depression{I went back on the meds while in the hospital after having the girls}. Then came the sleepless nights and we were trying to sell our house and move and it was all so much. My dh was going back to work-13 hour days a week after the girls and I came home and I couldn't do it so I moved in with my parents who were living in the town we are in now. I felt like such a failure-why couldn't I do this? What was wrong with me? I had depression before the girls but this was nothing compared to this.

I'm on 75 mg of Wellbruitrin which my old doc said wasn't even a theraputic dose and increased it to 150mg-that made me so dizzy I couldn't grt out of bed-not the best for a twin mommy whose babies were 4 months old. So I went back on the 75 mg-it makes me level and I am able to function. I've never really stood up for myself with a doc before and I am hoping this new doc will be better. Things always feel worse when depression is there. you have to do what is best for you. My family doesn't understand why if the 75 mg is not a theraputic dose why can't I do without it.

Its hard to explain to someone who has never been in a dark hole and sees no hope for seeing the light. I am able to laugh and enjoy the girls and not worry about every little thing. I know I've gone on here and I hope that you talk to your doc and maybe with some tweeking you can find what is right for you. Everybody deserves to be happy or at least have the prospect of of being happy. Feel free to PM me if you want, wishing the best for you. T

7. Well I went to my Dr today and she diagnosed me PPD and referred me to a psychologist and put me back on the meds.... thanks for the advice. I feel so awful, and I feel I need to do this for my kids and get well....