Does it bother you?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by missymack2003, Jun 9, 2008.

1. missymack2003

missymack2003 Well-Known Member

I've never found myself referring to my daughters as "the twins," for me it just doesn't seem natural. It's not like it's a bad word or anything but I prefer to call them by their first names or "the girls." A lot of my family members refer to them as "the twins" and in a way I wish they would use their names instead. I'm not hugely offended so I'm not sure if I should do anything about it. My daughters are too young to know the difference, but when they get older I would want people to refer to them by their first names. Maybe it will be different when they are older and look less alike? Has this ever bothered you?

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(mrs.jellybelly @ Jun 9 2008, 07:28 PM) [snapback]818361[/snapback]
    I've never found myself referring to my daughters as "the twins," for me it just doesn't seem natural. It's not like it's a bad word or anything but I prefer to call them by their first names or "the girls." A lot of my family members refer to them as "the twins" and in a way I wish they would use their names instead. I'm not hugely offended so I'm not sure if I should do anything about it. My daughters are too young to know the difference, but when they get older I would want people to refer to them by their first names. Maybe it will be different when they are older and look less alike? Has this ever bothered you?

No it doesn't bother me...yet. ;) No one really calls them by the twins though. Mostly it's, "the boys." If they were refered to as the twins now-I don't think a big deal. But later-when they are older and KNOW that they are twins, individuals, etc... then yes-I think it might bother me then.

3. PJ

PJ Well-Known Member

My mom did it once in writing - had it on her calendar to watch "the twins". It kind of did annoy me but I don't know why. I always call them "the boys" so I think everyone else has started doing the same.

4. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

It really doesn't bother me at all. I actually think it's cute! My family/friends call them everything though, so it's not just limited to "the twins". We get...the twins, the twinnies, the ladies, the girls, the babies, the....you name it! :D

5. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(MichelleL @ Jun 9 2008, 04:38 PM) [snapback]818369[/snapback]
    It really doesn't bother me at all. I actually think it's cute! My family/friends call them everything though, so it's not just limited to "the twins". We get...the twins, the twinnies, the ladies, the girls, the babies, the....you name it! :D

I feel the same way. It doesn't bother me & they get called all sorts of things!

6. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

Yes, when people refer to them as the twins it sounds like they are a unit rather than individuals. On the bright side, not many people refer to them this way.

7. eewelks

eewelks Well-Known Member

It definitely bothers me, but I don't feel comfortable telling family members not to say "the twins".

8. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

No it doesn't bother me. i see them being twins as something special and unique. I refer to them as the "girls"

9. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

A few times they have been referred to as that and I dont care for it. There really is no reason for me not liking it. I have not said anything because it is not that bad but internally I think, "I hope that is the last time they say it!"

10. MissyEby

MissyEby Well-Known Member

QUOTE(MichelleL @ Jun 9 2008, 07:38 PM) [snapback]818369[/snapback]

same here...I see it as being very special as they are the first twins in my family!!

:p

11. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I find myself referring to them as 'the twins' sometimes. But I can't say 'the girls' or 'the boys' since mine are boy/girl. Mostly we get 'the babies' or their individual names.

I look at it as special too, so it doesn't bother me at all.

12. jdio33

jdio33 Well-Known Member

It doesn't bother me that much if someone called them "the twins". We call them "the boys" or "the babies" all the time. To me it's really no different then a person calling multiple singletons "the kids". Same thing.... ;)
    I also like others think it's sort of a special thing b/c they are the first twins in my family. It makes me happy to hear "the twins" b/c I know they are mine! :D

13. erinkontos

erinkontos Well-Known Member

I like it! We sometimes do it ourselves or refer to all of our babies as "the boys." My younger sisters are twins and they were often called "the twins" or "the girls" (in which case I was often included, so that was easy). I asked my sister and she feels it is special to be a twin, so she was not bothered by the term at all.

14. Rose524

Rose524 Well-Known Member

It doesn't bother me at all. They are after all twins. ;) Although most people refer to them as the kids or by their names.

15. becky5

becky5 Guest

It doesn't bother me. Most of the time though, like me, they call them "the babies". Even now at 2 years old!

16. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

it doesn't bother me, I mean, they ARE twins. . . I use "the twins", "the boys", or "the babies" still myself.

17. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

it doesn't bother me now. i have a few family members that do it... i think they think it's so cool to have twins in the family and love to use that term "the twins" . it's kinda cute! of curse it won't be cute when they're 15...lol
    DH, my parents and i call them "the girls"

18. chocomilko

chocomilko Well-Known Member

I guess I don't see the difference between the "boys" the "girls" or the "twins" KWIM?" ;) I mean where is the individuality in the boys? So, I guess with that said no, it doesn't bother me. They are indeed just that...twins. I hope that throughout life I will show them enough individuality that being called twins won't be offensive to them. I think showing them love and nurturing their individuality is what counts. If you are doing that then why would they care if you called them the twins? :D

19. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

I always call mine "the boys". My brother (who's a twin & was never called "The Twins"---it was always by name or 'the boys') has 2 girls & we always refer to them as "the girls". It has nothing to do with age, just 2 of the same sex. If it's not 'the boys', then it's their names. I don't know why, but I also get a little tiffed when people refer to them as 'the twins'. However, no one does that except their old daycare. Their cubbie was labeled "The Twins" & they had to 'share' a clipboard labeled "The Twins". Everyone else got their 'own' clipboard & cubbie with their name on it :(. Obviously they don't care now, but they will when they're older! Their food, diapers, formula, etc was also always labeled "The Twins", except when I labeled it first...in which I would always just label it with our last name. Our new daycare (today was our first day) writes the baby's name on the diaper itself & today they came home with diapers that read "Conner Aiden". I chuckled. I was just happy to see it didn't read "The Twins"! I was also happy to see they each had their own cubbie, own sheets of paper, & own name on the wall!

Ok, I've rambled long enough, but long story short....I prefer them NOT to be called "The Twins", although I have NO argument as to why :):)!

20. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

It's not my favorite way to refer to them -- I usually call them the babies, or the kiddos, or the little ones, or the twinkies, or liquid and solid (Kevan is always wet and drooly, and Karina is quite hefty -- I know, we're horrible, LOL), or a hundred other things, but never the twins.

But, if others refer to them that way, it doesn't really bother me.

21. b/gtwinmom07

b/gtwinmom07 Well-Known Member

Doesn't bother me either. I agree...they ARE twins. I refer to them as the twins ALL the time as well as use their individual names. The way I see it for US is that they ARE individuals as well as a unique unit. They should be proud to be part of each other in that manner and be seperate at the same time. They will learn that from DH and I.

My family calls them the twins too..or the babies. The only thing that my family says that sort of bothers me (extended family) is they say the girl or the boy but only because they cannot pronounce their names ... even after 8 months then I usually laugh and correct them and say their name and they laugh and say the name but then forget the next time.

22. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

I've noticed that a lot of times people do not call a child by their name as an infant. With my DD1 it seemed like everyone just called her "the baby". Umm...Hello, this child has a name! :rolleyes: So I think with twin babies it is similar only they use "the twins". Then there was my sister who kept calling them "this one" and "that one" - I would have preferred the twins!! It seems like once their little personalities come out more and they get more mobile they are recognized as being an actual person with a name, not a blob called "the baby" or "the twins". Now that they are 19 mos hardly anyone ever calls them the twins anymore. We never used that term with DD1 - we taught her to use their names or call them her sisters. It would bother me if it continue to the point where they were old enough to notice it.

23. Aprilisdisney

Aprilisdisney Well-Known Member

QUOTE(gina_leigh @ Jun 10 2008, 12:32 AM) [snapback]818455[/snapback]
    I find myself referring to them as 'the twins' sometimes. But I can't say 'the girls' or 'the boys' since mine are boy/girl. Mostly we get 'the babies' or their individual names.

I look at it as special too, so it doesn't bother me at all.

[SIZE=10pt]This is me as well :D

April :)
    [/SIZE]

24. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

It doesn't bother me, I often call them "the girls". My brothers are twins and they have been "the boys" for as long as I can remember, its just easier that way.

25. MyButtons

MyButtons Member

why should it worry us? -they are twins.
    i love the fact that i have two little boys, and dont mind at all people call them 'the twins'

26. Twinnylou

Twinnylou Well-Known Member

It gets right on my nerves when people say the twins!! I mean i know they are twins but i want them to have their own identity not be know as the "twins". I dont call them the twins i call them my 2 or kiddos or the babies. It annoys the crap out of me when people say that!

27. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

We call them "the twins" sometimes. But in my extended family, when someone says something about "the twins" it's normally another set. My SIL's still go by that at times. My Grandmother and her sister did, and they were still being called that sometimes at age 98. They have said they actually liked being called that.

28. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

I never did call them that. I think DH's niece might still, but no one else does. It always surprises me if someone does say that (they are 5.5 now), because I never think of them as "the twins." They *are* twins, but they are not *the* twins. We know lots of other twins from the library, so it sounds weird to me to think of them as *the* twins. Plus, I already had two boys, so it just flowed to say "the girls."

29. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(Becca34 @ Jun 9 2008, 10:42 PM) [snapback]818660[/snapback]
    or liquid and solid (Kevan is always wet and drooly, and Karina is quite hefty

Oh my gawsh, that made me spit my coffee out!

Eh, I don't really care what our familes call them, I call them "the babies" just because they are babies. "The Twins" I get a lot, mostly at work, and it doesn't really bother me too much since they are twins.

30. mrsmoon

mrsmoon Well-Known Member

A lot of my family and people at church refer to my two as the twins. It does not bother me at all. I am so proud and blessed to of had twins that it does not bother me. I usually call them the babies if I am talking about both. Their bedroom we call the baby room. I hardly ever call them the twins but others do.

31. HT

HT Well-Known Member

It doesn't bother me either, but they also don't get called that very often. However, they are twins which I think is awesome so it won't bother me anyway. I call them mostly "the girls" (although it is usually referring to all 3), "the babies" or by their names.

32. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

We usually go with "the girls", its bothers me when they're referred to as "the twins" I'm not really sure why.

33. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

It does rub me the wrong way for some reason. Probably because it's my MIL who is always doing it!

I refer to them as "the girls"

34. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ThreeLittleSnowflakes @ Jun 9 2008, 09:58 PM) [snapback]818686[/snapback]
    I've noticed that a lot of times people do not call a child by their name as an infant. With my DD1 it seemed like everyone just called her "the baby". Umm...Hello, this child has a name! :rolleyes: So I think with twin babies it is similar only they use "the twins". Then there was my sister who kept calling them "this one" and "that one" - I would have preferred the twins!! It seems like once their little personalities come out more and they get more mobile they are recognized as being an actual person with a name, not a blob called "the baby" or "the twins". Now that they are 19 mos hardly anyone ever calls them the twins anymore. We never used that term with DD1 - we taught her to use their names or call them her sisters. It would bother me if it continue to the point where they were old enough to notice it.

Ditto this one...I can handle "the twins" but I hate "this one" and "that one!"

35. AshleyLD

AshleyLD Well-Known Member

It probably would bother me sorta.. But they cant call my kids the twins because there is another set. ;) No one would know who they were talking about!