Does anyone else have a hard time getting 3 meals in during the day?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by jjzollman, Jun 18, 2011.

1. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Now that summer is here and my DH and I are home, my boys are sleeping until 8:30 or 9:00 many days (I'm not at all complaining!) and when they first wake up all they want is a glass of milk. They are ready to eat breakfast around 10:00 or 10:30 and it is usually a pretty big breakfast - pancakes/waffles/toast plus a fruit and yogurt. Obviously, they aren't hungry at lunchtime, so they end up eating around 1:30 or 2:00. Sometimes it is more of a snack-type lunch - fruit plus cheese, crackers, and salami or ham and then other times it is a lunch, but they eat much better on the days it is more "snacky". Then dinner around 6:00. It seems like they are getting about 2.5 meals/day - and I'm not sure if this is unusual? When we were working they were up by 6:30 so they had 3 real meals/day, but this later wake-up (which I'm perfectly happy with!), seems to decrease their appetites a bit since they are not up as early.

They are not napping, but I do have them rest for 1-1.5 hours in their beds around 2:00. They tend to go to bed around 8:30 or 9:00.

Does this sound typical/normal to you? I just feel bad like I'm depriving them of 3 full meals - but at the same time, on the days I fix 3 full meals, they don't eat the lunch one well at all.

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I wouldn't worry about it. I imagine if they were hungry or needed more to eat, you wouldn't be hearing the end of it. ;)

3. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We're in the same boat here; my boys have been staying up later at night and they sleep in a bit in the morning. It's delightful, but if we try for 3 meals a day I feel like I am stuffing them. So we have two big meals and snack a bunch throughout the day. It's been working so far!

4. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Even with waking early, my kids never ate 3 full meals. They usually are full by dinner so they nibble/snack at that time. Kids are good about filling themselves up.

5. TwinsInOkinawa

TwinsInOkinawa Well-Known Member

Don't force it! If they aren't hungry, it's not a big deal. Sounds like they are getting what they need!

6. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

Two good meals is the norm around here. Even though 3 are provided, they only eat good at two of them. For ds it's usually breakfast and lunch and only nibbles at dinner and for DD...she rarely eats breakfast, but usually eats well at lunch and dinner. It sounds like you are offering healthy choices at regular intervals. So, I wouldn't really worry about 3 square meals a day.

7. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

Sounds normal to me. My kids are up early, but don't usually eat a good breakfast. They do eat a lot at lunch and dinner, though.

8. carlylafont

carlylafont Well-Known Member

IMHO, I think you are fine. As long as they are getting what they need nutrition wise. For me with my girls, I offer 3 meals a day, but on the weekends it is tough since my husband sleeps in and they tend to have a brunch when he gets up. But their lunch then tends to be lighter and it works out for them. For me the main thing is that I offer good food for them to eat (veggies, fruit, protein, dairy, fiber). Some days the girls like only "snacks" and sometimes they like meals ( I put snacks in quotes because it is a meal,the delivery is different- ie... breakfast while I run is cereal and fruit and milk.)

9. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Ours don't sleep late, and we often don't do 3 "real" meals a day. One meal (usually lunch, though sometimes dinner) will be pretty big and very balanced, and the others are a crap shoot. Some nights "dinner" is just eating some fruit and yogurt in the bathtub. :crazy: But it works fine! And they do eat a very, very good diet (over the course of a week, which is all that really matters at this age) - they love fruit and veggies and don't eat any junk food.