Do your twins cry a lot throughout the day?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by dezmitch, Aug 6, 2009.

1. dezmitch

dezmitch Well-Known Member

Every time I leave the room or do anything that doesn't involve them they cry. I swear the cry more than they did as newborns - no joke! I love them dearly, I just can't stand hearing the crying all the time. One always feeds off the other. And there's no apparent reason to the crying -- no teething, just fed them a snack, they took their afternoon nap, etc. Ughh!

2. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

It was like mine turned one and they suddenly knew how to throw a tantrum! Shhh...don't tell anyone in FY! :hush:

In all seriousness I found that once they picked up more baby sign language they were able to communicate better and cried a lot less. I started it at 11 months, but they didn't "get" it until about 13 months. It might be worth a try for your sanity!

3. Jody_527

Jody_527 Well-Known Member

Mine cry a lot too but I know its separation anxiety. Even when we pull up to a store, one of my boys starts to cry because he knows that someone will be getting out! I really hope its just a phase too! my husband and I always say we take ourselves to another place when one or both are crying and screaming in the van! Good Luck! You are definitely not alone! :)

4. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

Sounds like the beginning of seperation anxiety. My boys are 19 months and still freak out at times when I leave the room. Usually within a minute or two they go back to what they were doing. When I leave or come back, I don't make a huge deal out of it and that seems to be the key. I've read it peaks at 18 months so I hope that it will be ending soon.

They just have to understand that they can't go everywhere in the house with me. A girl has to be able to go to the bathroom in private. :lol:

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with Megan, it seems like once mine turned 1, they suddenly flipped switch and knew how to throw tantrums. It seems like during the SY, my twins crys are more dramatic...like if I take something away that they are not supposed to have...they cry like I took their arm off or something. And they don't get over it quickly either. I just keep thinking to myself..."this too shall pass"

6. twinnerbee

twinnerbee Well-Known Member

:rofl:

So true! My sweet little laid back DS has totally MASTERED the art of the tantrum. Overnight. I'm pretty lucky to have babies that are happy most of the time. They entertain each other very well so I can't complain, but the separation anxiety that drove me nuts with DD a few months ago has left her (sounds like a possession - maybe it is!) and now is consuming DS. I'm waiting on hernia surgery at the end of the month (another joy of a twin pregnancy) so my doctor told me to stop carrying them both together so I have to bring one up to their room before the other. DS screams like I'm going to the moon.

7. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

Yup. It is finally beginning to decrease now. I hated it. And I felt like I was the only one with crying all day. I thought maybe it was my fault, and I was a bad parent.
    But no. Twins are hard, and twice the crying.
    We are multiples blessed, and multiples cursed with work. It gets easier though, I can tell already!

8. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

I agree with the pp's - it sounds like separation anxiety combined with tantrums. :hug: Yes, this too shall pass!

9. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

It seems like all they do is cry or whine or fight. It's tough. They cry 100 x's more now than they EVER did and Nicolas had colic! Seriously. It blows. I'm already having panic attacks and they've only been awake for 45 minutes. My back is KILLING me, I have slipped discs from hauling them BOTH kicking and screaming out of places. It's REALLY hard! Mine cry ALL OF THE TIME. It's insane.

10. Rach1137

Rach1137 Well-Known Member

My boys do this too, if I go into our kitchen they stand at the gate and scream. If I go into the bathroom they stand at the gate and scream. Whoever gets in the car first screams til his brother gets there too. Whoever gets out of the car last screams while I walk around the side of the car to get them. I know that it is partly separation anxiety and partly not being able to express their feelings through words yet. I know it will get better and it's easier when they want something that they can either sign or say (like they can sign for cup and they can say ball).

11. ChanceKathleen

ChanceKathleen Well-Known Member

Sign language seems like such a wonderful idea, and I wonder why I never tried it before? I will definitely try now. My girls whine all the time as well..then my 3yr starts up too because he thinks,"it must be working for them" ugh! the madness!
    Anyone found any ways of curving the whining? my biggest stress is with dh because he gets too upset and is too harsh with them. =/

12. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Not now, but they did go through that stage after they turned 1.

13. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Yeah from 12-18 months mine cried and whined A LOT! But once they started talking it decreased dramatically. :hug:

14. Andi German

Andi German Well-Known Member

Max never seems to stop - either because he wants something he can't have - he wants me to pick him up - anything really - tantrums all over the place - he is a nightmare at the moment. Waking and crying at night too for some reason at the moment. Went to the zoo today - he moaned and whined the whole day - really makes it hard work. My hubby can't take it like I can and thinks there is something you can do about it but I've read a lot and can't seem to find any miracle cure - so if you find one, let me know! I am hopeing when he can express himself more he will stop!

15. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

Im with all the rest, separation anxiety and not being able to communicate.
    As they have grown older and learned more signs and more vocabularly things have definitely gotten easier. Ive also expanded the areas in which they are allowed and tried to make a baby safe area or activity for everywhere I may be. i.e.- the cupboard right next to the dishwasher is full of my tupperware so they can do their dishes too.
    I baby wore A LOT and used distraction, redirection and the occasional new toy or activity. Sometimes you just have to get out of the house as well!

16. frattwinboyz07

frattwinboyz07 New Member

Mine are about to turn 20 months and one of my boys has seperation anxiety, AGAIN, he wakes from his nap within 30min. of going down to sleep and wakes EVERY night. It is making me quite frustrated, because in addition to being tired all day, we can't sleep at night either, it makes for long days with cranky little guys. I have tried the cry out method, and he just never stops. If this is a stage, can anyone tell me how long it lasts??? This momma needs some rest so that she can be the best mommy to her beautiful little boys.

17. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

Just some crazy ideas that might help....

sometimes I felt they were better on their own in the morning so I tried to do a bit more of my laundry then.

Sometimes I would go in and out of the livingroom every 5- 10 mins. There was always something to do. I think they got tired of crying and realizing I was coming back in. Or I made them dizzy.

Addicted to their show. When I needed to get some stuff done, that is when I'd put on their favourite DVD and then get some dinner on cooking. I could tell when they were starting to get weepy and then head back in to sit with them.

Arrange your space so they can see you. I made it so I could put a gate in the hallway so they could come into the kitchen area when I was working there. But another gate prevented them from being RIGHT in the kitchen.

Take the time to sit with them. If they are getting sucky, sit down and hold them for 30 mins. Like you did when they were babies. Try to make it individual.

This is a cute story "Bounce away and back...." Just as the young kangaroo bounds away then back to the security of the pouch. The toddler is eager to explore alone then rushes back to the parent for reassurance. While the desire to investigate urges the toddler forward, the need for the adults' security is at the core of the child's enormous potential to learn. It is a delicate time. It is a time for recognizing and affirming the emotional pull between dependence and independence.

Heather

18. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

That was sweet about the kangaroo. I almost cried. Seriously. Sometimes I forget about those things!
    Thanks Heather!! :)