Do your identical twins have the same teeth?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by lianyla, Oct 8, 2008.

1. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

I could be wrong here but I have always assumed that identicals got their teeth in the same order (unless mirrored, then on opposite sides) and that their teeth were the same.

My boys have the EXACT same teeth in every way. In fact, if the only thing I could look at to see if my boys were ID or Frat was their teeth, it would be all I had to see to know they were ID.

They have always gotten the same tooth within 3 days of each other, if not the same day. They did mirror 2 of them but that didn't surprise me. Now they have all of the same exact teeth and never went out of order from each other.

What about yours??

I thought maybe this would be another good way to know if you had ID's or not. I'm assuming that it would be unusual for id's to have one baby get two top teeth and the other one to have none for 3 mos and then get the bottom one or something.. Ya know?

Just curious!

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls get the same teeth in the same order, but not at the same time. Amelia always gets hers first - she is also the bigger of the two and was Baby A. But when Amelia got a bottom tooth then about 2 weeks later Lily got the same bottom tooth, then when Amelia got her 2nd tooth Lily soon followed. Now they both have the same 4 teeth on top and 2 on bottom and yes, their teeth look exactly the same. (I wouldn't expect their teeth to look different)

3. lianyla

Great Aimee! That's exactly what I thought. They have the same teeth and get them in the same order. Excellent! Thank you.

4. eehrlich

eehrlich Well-Known Member

yup - my girls are ID and the teeth have come in innthe same order within about 3-4 days of each other.

5. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

If Reese gets a tooth in on his right side, Riley's comes in on the left. It's the exact same tooth, just on the opposite side and at the same time. It's always been that way and they're ID.

6. lianyla

QUOTE(4lilmonkeys @ Oct 8 2008, 07:20 AM) [snapback]1017078[/snapback]
    If Reese gets a tooth in on his right side, Riley's comes in on the left. It's the exact same tooth, just on the opposite side. It's always been that way and they're ID.

Yep. Classic mirroring.. totally expected with ID's mine have done this too but they still get the same tooth in the same order, it's just mirrored. Thanks!

7. EricaG

EricaG Well-Known Member

Mine did not get there teeth in the same order nor were they mirrored. Now at 14m they have the same amount and the same ones but no they didn't follow the same eruption pattern.

Erica

8. lianyla

Oh really??!!! Do the teeth look the same??? That is crazy! If you looked in their mouths, would they have the exact same mouth tho??

9. EricaG

EricaG Well-Known Member

Yes I would say there teeth look the same they have the same space between the top two

10. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Mine only have 2 teeth at this time. But they broke through within 24 hours of each other. Finley got his left, Sullivan got his right bottom. Then a few weeks later Finley got his bottom right and Sullivan got his bottom left. Mirror Imaging - I'm anxious to see if the rest of their teeth come in like this.

11. somebunniesmom

somebunniesmom Well-Known Member

Mine followed classic mirroring pattern, with the exception of one tooth that did not come in for one of the girls until she was almost 4. Her sister had all her teeth, but this one had not yet erputed and every one thought she had lost it already. And now as they are old enough to lose teeth, they are getting loose and falling out in the same pattern as well -- same tooth opposite sides, within days of each other.

12. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

My girls cut the first eight four at a time and they both cut them within days of each other and they were the exact same teeth. We're not 100% sure they are identical, but since we're the only ones that can tell them apart most of the time, I would say they are.

13. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

same teeth, same order, but ivana is a few days behind. she was the smaller of the two (tho she is baby A)

14. CROSSTWINS

CROSSTWINS Well-Known Member

My girls got their first 2 bottom teeth at the same time but they came in on oppisite sides. And the second bottom tooth that came in was crocked on both girls. The top teeth have been a little different. Hope 3rd tooth on top came in on the side first and not in the middle like Grace's, but that has been the only difference. They both got their molars at the same time and now they are both getting their bottom molars and their other teeth on the bottom.

15. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I think having the same ones come in at the same time would be a pretty big coincidence for frats but a lack of matching does not mean twins are fraternal. We had variances of a day or two up to a few months on a couple of them. They got their first tooth around the same time and got their molars around the same time but it wasn't a matter of matching or mirroring tooth for tooth at all.

ETA: the way their teeth are aligned matches so they have the same bite pattern

16. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

One week of each other they got their first tooth. N got cut his bottom left first and S cut his bottom right first. I did not keep track after that and had no idea that is something I could have been paining attention to since I did not know they were ID. Now I wish I knew so I could have noted things like that.

eta- I found more teeth info...Once again, within a week of each other, they each got their other bottom tooth (N got his 2nd one first again) and their top 4 came in a week apart but I dont know what side.

17. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I have an ID sister. We have the same teeth issues, but she had more wisdom teeth than me.

18. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

Their 2 bottom teeth came in within days of eachother and they were mirrored. Their first top ones were also mirrored, but Finn (baby B) took longer to get his top ones. Van got his 3rd bottom tooth about 2 weeks ago and so far no sign of Finn's 3rd bottom. I'm wondering if this 3rd bottom will mirror his brother's. Their teeth look exactly alike- they've got the same spaces in between and everything. Their mouth and teeth are probably the feature that look most alike. IMO.

19. lianyla

Jenn- I totally agree. That's why I always ask people who are asking us if their babies are ID "what do their teeth look like? Their mouths??"

Because, I know that all I would have to see is my boys' mouths to know they had the exact same mouth!!

Thanks for answering guys! Sooo cool to know!!