Do you wake them up?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by jolcia17, Mar 16, 2013.

1. jolcia17

jolcia17 Well-Known Member

So this is my girls sleep schedule for the last few months: they go to sleep around 8:30 and wake up around 8:30...they take a 2 hour nap from 1-3. Some days in the morning they sleep way past 8:30. Should I be waking them up in the morning around their usual time? I know if they sleep a lot longer they don't want to take their nap. And I mean I have been waking them up but today I feel like I should let them sleep in. Who doesn't like sleeping in :)

So my question is, do I let them wake up at different times everyday on their own (this happens sometimes, they are usually up after 8) or do I wake them up?

2. southernmommy

southernmommy Well-Known Member

I never wake my kids up unless we have to go somewhere. I love the mornings when they sleep in because that means I get some quiet me time after all the older kids have left for school.

2 people like this.
  3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

As a rule of thumb I try to avoid waking my kids (they're miserable when woken) and adjust the rest of the day as needed. My girls still take a quiet time every day though regardless of whether or not they sleep.

2 people like this.
  4. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Ditto, Rachel. I never waking sleeping monsters, I mean kids. We also have mandatory quiet time (naps when they need it).

1 person likes this.
  5. jolcia17

Thanks ladies. Well mine still nap during the day, it's just they wake up at different times every day and sometimes they are not even tired at their normal nap time. That's why I wasn't sure if I should let them sleep in cuz believe me, I love nap time.

I noticed a lot of you on here writing about quiet time. How do u explain quiet time to a 2 year old. Mine are 2yrs3months and I mean they know what it means to be. Quiet but if I put them in their room and told them its quiet time they would be giggling and playing and jumping, etc. together. I feel like if my kids are not sleepy and I leave them in their room they cry. So how do I make it work? Any advice?

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Basically, we approach quiet time the same way we approach nap time - we follow the same routine and set up. But then I leave the decision to them whether or not they actually sleep. We chat a lot about what is allowed at quiet time (in our house it's looking at books, coloring, talking quietly, or playing with a selection of toys like animals, cars, or dolls) or that they can sleep if they like. They aren't allowed to come out of their room or call for me until their Gro Clock changes color or it's an emergency. Then I leave them to it unless WWIII breaks out or they get waaaaay too rambunctious. At various times, we've also had to separate them at quiet time (usually when one has been needing to sleep but the other hasn't). I intend to continue with quiet time until they're in full day school. ;)

7. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Quiet time never worked for us, but they would sit in front of the tv for an hour... works for me. We never woke them up though because they got so crabby.

8. NicoleLea

NicoleLea Well-Known Member

I think it depends on what you are comfortable with. When my girls were littler (2-3) they would wake up around 8 sometimes earlier on their own. I am NOT a morning person and honestly hated it when they would wake up early. As they have gotten older they have somehow gotten to bed later and later and sleep later and later. BUT that is ok with me for now, in a few months they start school so that will obviously end. But for right now I'd say they get to bed around 10 and get up about 10. If they aren't up by then I wake them. And generally no naps during the day (except when they occasionally fall asleep in the car).

9. jolcia17

Thank you. They sleep in very rarely but was curious what other moms did :)

10. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

Mine still nap almost every day but I love this idea for when they start giving up naps! :)

11. Christel

Christel Well-Known Member

I have to wake mine up at 6:45 because that's when we leave to take the bigs to school.

Since nighttime is my only "relaxing" time, I'd rather have to wake them then have them stay up later. So I wake during the summer too.

12. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I never wake them; sleep is restorative, so if they need some extra time, their body must know what it's doing!