Do you think you'll ever get "used to" having twins?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jjzollman, Oct 21, 2008.

1. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

I know at least once a day I look over at my boys and think, WOW!! I actually have TWINS! I feel so blessed and I am still just so much in awe of them and the fact that WE have twins! Sometimes I'll glance at them sitting on the floor playing and I'll think "Oh my gosh, there are TWO babies!!" And then I wonder if I will ever not look at them that way. I think of them as being 2, 10, 22, etc. - and I just can't help but think - wow! Twins!

It was such a surprise to find out we were having twins - and I guess in a way the surprise hasn't totally worn off. It is just fascinating to watch them, see them interact - and see how our family has changed (for the better) with the addition of these 2 little boys.

Does anyone else feel this way? It seems kinda silly - but I know that my parents and in-laws feel this way, too.

2. Neumsy

Neumsy Well-Known Member

I do! Ours haven't arrived yet, (I'm 25 weeks and some days) but I know DH feels it too. He'll rub my tummy and go "Babies! Plural! TWO BABIES? How'd we do that?"
    Lol...
    Right now I can't even imagine life with two babies (I never thought I have one kid, let alone three plus a SS!) But then, I couldn't imagine life with Owen either when I was pregnant with him! So yes, I do know exactly how you feel!

3. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh when I was pregnant I thought the fact I got pregnant the first month we tried with not one, but two babies was the biggest miracle that has ever occured on earth!

Then when I found out they were identical but had been di/di I again was like "it's the biggest miracle of all time!" LOL

Now that they're here I think I'm used to it. Maybe it's b/c I don't have any other children, so twins seem like the norm for me, if that makes sense.

4. carthur613

carthur613 Well-Known Member

I totally agree - I love to just look at them and watch them play, and the whole time I just think "I can't beleive we have TWO babies!" Also, my mom is constantly saying "I just can't get over it, there are TWO babies!" haha Yes, it is quite amazing and we tried 4 rounds of IVF before getting pregnant on the 5th try - so when we found out it was twins, and then we found out it was boy/girl - we also thought "what a miracle!" I think I will always look at them that way too!

5. cottoncandysky

cottoncandysky Well-Known Member

every u/s we had i couldnt believe it! now that theyre here, when i have them next to eachother and im playing i cant believe i have 2! or that i survive every day with them by myself! lol maybe when theyre in kindergarton and more self sufficient i'll be used to it

6. jranae

jranae Active Member

I am still in shock too that we had twins, just can't believe it. I do the same thing......look at them when they are next to each other and think......wow, there really it 2 of them!!!! I'm not sure that my shock and surprise will ever go away..... :eek:

7. anicakes

anicakes Well-Known Member

Yes--I'm amazed every day that I have two...and like others, this has become the norm for me. And, I constantly have people around me--friends and family--who are always commenting that these are miracles!

8. twinmuffin

twinmuffin Well-Known Member

I am in utter amazement and awe everyday about my two beautiful baby girls, and what a special blessing it is to have twins. (I love my son just as much, but having twins is pretty special).

9. angeez78@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

OMG, I could have written this. The other night I put the girls to bed and say 2 cribs and 2 babies and thought, this just doens't seem real - 2 babies! Isn't it a total MIRACLE!

10. cmccarthy

cmccarthy Well-Known Member

I thought I was a freak! Apparently I am very, very normal...

Well... for the most part any way...

At least in this case...
    :blink:

11. aandja79

aandja79 Well-Known Member

Yeah, its an amazing, crazy, wonderful thing. I look at ours and can't believe I have two babies to guide through life, when there were a lot of days when I never thought I'd even have one. Even on the crappy days, those little faces make everything worth it.

12. cheriek

cheriek Well-Known Member

yep im still in shock! i looked back on my old post's when i first found i was due in "may" i had told everyone it would be great to have a girl for my boys to play with :lol: imagine my shock/surprise when not only did we concieve TWINS but 2 GIRLS!!

13. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

It's funny because I never thought much about being a twin (I've always loved it but it was never that big of a deal), but then when I had twins, that's when it all changed- I think it's safe to say that I'm a little obsessed with twins- I can't help it- anytime I hear the word twins or see twins, I'm so intrigued. I love talking to other twin moms and sharing stories and experiences. It's such a blessing and I'm so thankful everyday to have the experience of being a twin mom!!

14. ghanigirl

ghanigirl Well-Known Member

I was actually going to write this post just a few weeks ago, wondering if anyone else felt the same way. :) Yep, feeling pretty lucky here too!!!

15. angelcake

angelcake Well-Known Member

So funny, I was just thinking this AGAIN today! I have not gotten used to it, yet. And they are eight months old! I love the awe and wonder I feel though! They are my double blessing!

Angel

16. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Much more surprised and in awe when I was pregnant. Now at almost 2, the "newness" has worn off. But I wouldnt change a thing.

17. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

when i was pregnant i would get these spurts of excitement thinking about it. i'd call my mom like every other day and say, "i'm having twins!"
    and now, every day i look at them playing and think, "this is so cool. i have twins!"

18. beemer

beemer Well-Known Member

I look at them every day and wonder what we did to deserve the two of them. When I think about having more kids (still working to get DH on board...) I can't help but hope we have two more. Since they are the only kids we have it is just "normal." I would even be a little sad to have "just one." I love that they have each other to play with.

It definately took a while to sink in while I was pregnant, and even after they were here I would sometimes still be in wonder that there were two of them. Now I can't imagine life without both of them.

19. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

Ever since I found out we were having twins I have been pretty amazed. Now, I've gotten so into a routine of how to care for two babies, I don't think I would have any clue as to how to care for just one, lol. I guess even though I'm still a bit blown away it has become so normal. Not too long ago I was shopping for a baby shower (for ONE baby) and seriously almost bought two of the same gift, lol. Habit I guess. I enjoy my girls so much, they amaze me more and more everyday! Everybody else has pretty much summed up my thoughts, so I'll stop now.

20. theklafkas

theklafkas Well-Known Member

I know I look at Austin and Alyssa in amazement. It cracks me up when we go anywhere that we draw such a crowd! Eveyone just doesn't know how I do it.....I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter as well. I always tell people that it is easier than it looks! LOL!

21. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mama23boys @ Oct 21 2008, 02:40 PM) [snapback]1034937[/snapback]
    I know at least once a day I look over at my boys and think, WOW!! I actually have TWINS! I feel so blessed and I am still just so much in awe of them and the fact that WE have twins! Sometimes I'll glance at them sitting on the floor playing and I'll think "Oh my gosh, there are TWO babies!!" And then I wonder if I will ever not look at them that way. I think of them as being 2, 10, 22, etc. - and I just can't help but think - wow! Twins!

It was such a surprise to find out we were having twins - and I guess in a way the surprise hasn't totally worn off. It is just fascinating to watch them, see them interact - and see how our family has changed (for the better) with the addition of these 2 little boys.

Does anyone else feel this way? It seems kinda silly - but I know that my parents and in-laws feel this way, too.

Oh definitely! I cant believe that these 2 grew inside of me (I cant really remember what it felt like to be pg!) and now they´re here alive and kicking and growing every day. They are my 2 miracles! It´s true they attract a crowd! :D

22. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

I was actually talking to DH about this last night before bed :lol: Every now and then I am still amazed that I have TWO babies!! While we were talking about having twins ourselves, we also talked about all the celebrities that have had twins this year even. I said "We're just trendy, that's all" lol.

This pregnancy was a very UNPLANNED one. and the TWIN aspect of it was even more of a shocker [we found out at 20 wks!] and I still can't get past it sometimes.

23. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

It isn't daily anymore, where I look at them or see something of theirs and think, "Wow! Twins!?!" But, it happens a few times a week still. I still pinch myself at how lucky/blessed we are to have twins!

24. lisaessman@verizon.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I still think this all the time! I LOVE the fact that both my twin and I are also twin moms. My twins are 6 mos. old, and not a day goes by when I don't think:

"Wow, I have twins!"

"Wow, I have 5 kids!"

"How is it possible that I am the mom of 5 girls?"

25. mairoge

mairoge Well-Known Member

Yes, I feel the same way. Sometimes I just sit and statre at them and my husband will ask, "What's wrong ?" I just say I still can't believe we had twins.