Do You Take Your Twins Grocery Shopping With You?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by cat mommy, Mar 23, 2010.

?

Do You Take Your Twins Grocery Shopping With You?

1. No way!

12.5%
  2. Sometimes, if I only need a few items

18.8%
  3. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't

26.6%
  4. Yes, pretty much always

42.2%
  5. Yes, I'm a single mom/dad so I can't just leave them at home

1.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

I'm thinking my kids won't see the inside of a grocery store til they are at least 4!

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I try to go every couple of days (3 or so) so it's not so humongous. They go in the sng & I use the mommy hook, my shoulder & the bottom of the cart. It's ok, but much better when DH & I go together.

3. vyckie72

vyckie72 Well-Known Member

If we don't have anyone to watch the boys we bring them with. We can go faster without them, but it doesn't bother me to bring them with. Sometimes we use two carts and each gets to sit in the cart and sometimes we use the stroller and the other parent pushes the cart.

4. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

my kids love the grocery store. they love getting out of the house and going anywhere!

5. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't usually bring mine, to this day. If I need a couple of items then I do, or if I have a 2nd person to go with me. But most of the time they stay home with DH and I go alone.

6. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I usually take them once a week with me for a "few" (ends up being a lot) of things but DH and I do a date night and do the BIG grocery shopping after they go to bed and MIL comes down to sit with them:)

7. kumphort

kumphort Well-Known Member

Yup, I always bring them with me
    I became one of those people that I never thought I would,I push them in the SNG and pull along a shopping cart.

I am just glad they still fit into their carseats cause I dont know what I will do when they outgrow those

8. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

It is and always has been a BIG outing for us! They love the grocery store - when they were younger they liked it because of lights and noise, but now they like to drive the little car thing on the front of the buggy at Publix. When mine start getting cabin fever and are anxious to get out of the house I take them to the grocery store for fun :FIFblush: !

9. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I voted "No way" because that's how I would have voted in the FY. DH and I always took turns shopping solo while the other person stayed with the kids. When they were a bit older (6m+) and actually enjoyed going on errands, we would sometimes take them one at a time.

Then there was a phase during the toddler years when it was much easier never to take them to the store.

Around age 2.5 or 3, I started feeling like I could take them both by myself if I had to (if DH was out of town), but I still try to avoid it if at all possible.

We do take them to Costco for fun -- but Costco has double carts. They stopped fitting in the "car cart" at the grocery store around age 2.5, and then our store mysteriously stopped using those carts anyway.

10. JenKik

JenKik Well-Known Member

I almost always do my grocery shopping on Sunday and most of the time DH and all 3 kids will go with me. Especially if the weather is fit. I don't like getting the babies out on rainy or cold days so that's usually when I'll go by myself and DH will stay at home with them. Plus, that's when I can get a little "me time" even if it is going to the grocery store.

But when we all go, we're there for like 2 hours because we get stopped by every Jack and Jane wanting to ooohh and aaahhh over the twins. It's crazy!

11. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

when they were little I would take them in in their car carriers... and not have much room to get much food, but that was ok... I think I waited until a year to put them into the double shopping cart that Publix has - looks like a space shuttle w/the steering wheels - they LOVE that thing! Its like they are on a Disney ride!!! now that they are 22 mo. old they are into everything... and you've really got to place the groceries in the cart so they can't get them, but its still doable. its easier to go w/o them, but they are usually pretty good too.

12. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

My boys are 15 months old and I still haven't taken them to the grocery store :) I consider that my time away from the kids. I had all three kids in public for the first time since the twins were born just last weekend. I just don't consider having my kids out in public driving me nuts and having to answer millions of questions which delay my shopping a good time. I know that sounds pretty selfish but for me thats my time to relax.

13. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

I totally think it's WORSE at this age.

14. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sometimes. I try not to, I much prefer shopping on my own, but if I don't have a choice, I take them & they are usually not too difficult.

15. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It depends. When it was just the twins, I would take them. It was an outing. It got us OUT OF THE HOUSE. LOL! And they enjoyed it. And for the most part, it wasn't torture. We have the grocery carts that have the little car in the front. So they enjoy riding in that. If they end up fighting, I would take one in the top part of the cart and have him help me put things in the cart. Or I would have them each hold a grocery item.

Now-with taking all three aged two and under to the grocery store... I've done it. Heck, I've even done Costco with a 15lber strapped to me via the Baby Bjorn. And that was a BIG trip. It's not something I would do on a weekly basis, heck even a monthly basis. But some change is good. And-the more you do it, the more they will learn how to behave in certain scenarios, I believe.

But really, I haven't gone with them in awhile, because I have all three of them.

And you just never know-they may end up surprising you!

16. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I voted yes most of the time but it's actually all the time, I'm just not a single parent. Every second week I take my 3 youngest kids by myself on friday, and every other week my husband is off and we both take the 3 youngest kids on friday. I can count on one hand the # of times I haven't take the kids with me.

17. Caroline Warren

Caroline Warren New Member

online shopping is the way forward - been doing it since girls were born and they even unpack the shopping for you! - not my twins - the delivery drivers! :)

18. travellingmum

travellingmum Well-Known Member

I do my big grocery shop online, but when I need a few things mid week, I take all three of mine to the grocery store. I don't drive, so we walk there and I can only manage a basket. It's a bit tricky to push a double stroller, hold my toddler's hand AND carry a basket, but I manage. I wouldn't say it's the highlight of my week, but so far no disasters.

19. jmiller

jmiller New Member

Only if my husband is with me. I haven't been brave enough to go with them on my own yet. Maybe when they get older...

20. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

Always have since they were born. Often I had all 5 with me.

21. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

I always do! Since DH is in Iraq, I don't really have any other choice. They love the grocery story though! Well, they pretty much love it everywhere! When DH was home on leave last month, we went shopping all together and the old ladies swarmed him! He got to play with the girls and talk to the old ladies, and I got my shopping done faster than ever!

22. MeredithMM

MeredithMM Well-Known Member

I take mine most of the time. They really love getting out of the house and being around other people, so most of the time it's fun for them.
    I have not mastered the art of pushing the stroller and dragging a shopping cart though, so I usually have to only get a few things at a time or wait until my husband can go with us.

23. skybluepink02

skybluepink02 Well-Known Member

I've always had to take them with me. It's not bad once you get used to it. My hubby works from 8am to 8pm, so I have to get all the errands done by myself.

24. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I've always taken them with me. It doesn't occur to me *not* to take them on errands. When they were eensy, I would strap one to me, and put the other in the infant carrier, clipped to the seat part of the cart. That still gave me the biggest part of the cart to put the groceries in. I continued to put one in the seat and one strapped to me until way past the weight limit of the carrier. Then I tried to find the double carts, I actually had my grocery store order some, but once they were able to sit by themselves well, I would use the carts with the cars and put them in there. They still sit there. My husband prefers two carts, but I prefer one cart, even if it is a limosine.