Do you have to give a urine sample at your checkups?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by momofmandb, May 29, 2008.

1. momofmandb

momofmandb Well-Known Member

I have only had one checkup so far and it was really my annual exam and my dr. just went ahead and did the prenatal workup so I didn't have to come back. Anyway, I did not have to give a sample at that visit. My girlfriend who is expecting said she doesn't have to give a urine sample at any visits with her current pregnancy. I'll know for sure next week when I go back if I have to. I am curious to know if others have to or not?

2. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I had to at every single doctors appointment, I think it checks for protein in your urine, but that's just a guess.
    HTH

3. laurajrad

laurajrad Well-Known Member

I had to give a sample at every single appointment. My doctor's office also had specimen cups which were wrapped in plastic that you could take with you so you could bring a sample from home (I think it needed to be a very recent sample) but I just went everytime I got there. Giving a sample was never an issue since I ALWAYS had to pee! ;) I'm pretty sure it's standard procedure to check your urine at every appointment.

4. r-twins

r-twins Well-Known Member

I give one every appointment. Don't they check for both protien and sugar? I'm a lot of help! :rolleyes: Guess that's a good question to ask the doc. :)

5. egoury

egoury Well-Known Member

I had to give a sample at every dr. visit as well to check the protein level.

6. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

I have not had an apppt tis time around yet but with the boys I was peeing in a cup at each and every visit!

7. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

QUOTE(nateandbrig @ May 29 2008, 06:30 PM) [snapback]799735[/snapback]
    I had to at every single doctors appointment, I think it checks for protein in your urine, but that's just a guess.
    HTH

Yep, same here...my dr. would always say, "Urine looks good, no protein" or something along those lines.

8. **Diane**

**Diane** Well-Known Member

I'm given a test strip which I pee on. No peeing in a cup ;) The nurse checks it over and then it is thrown out.

9. denali_ice

denali_ice Well-Known Member

Yes. They check for protein and sugar. (Although the protein is not always accurate, it can help determine if further testing needs to be done.)

10. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

yup, every appt for all my kids.

11. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

Every appointment with the boys and every appointment so far with this one!

12. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

Always

13. missmomoftwins02

missmomoftwins02 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(nateandbrig @ May 29 2008, 12:30 PM) [snapback]799735[/snapback]
    I had to at every single doctors appointment, I think it checks for protein in your urine, but that's just a guess. HTH

YUP! I had to for the twins and I have to for Megan...but for some reason my OB with Grant did not check it every time (I only had to do it abt every 3 visits). I feel better going ahead and doing it b/c I WAS high risk with the twins and had Pre-eclampsia (high blood pressure and protein in the urine). So I am glad that my OB now does this so I can make sure that everything is okie dokie!!