Do you choose your childrens' teachers?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by jxnsmama, May 13, 2007.

1. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

Jackson will be going into fourth grade, and one of the moms who's very active at our school (and we've become friends) has been suggesting which of the three fourth-grade teachers is best, and that I should tell the principal I want Jackson assigned to her class. This year, I really haven't liked his teacher. She's done a fine job, has been fair, and he's definitely learning; it's just that our personalities don't mesh at all, to the point that I've barely helped out in class and have chaperoned no field trips, because I just can't stand to be around her for any length of time. Last year, I really clicked with his teacher, and it was so fun to do stuff with the class.

Anyway, part of me wants to go ahead with my friend's recommendation (I trust her opinion completely), but then part of me thinks I should just let the chips fall where they may. I don't know any of the fourth grade teachers, so I don't feel I'm really in a position to make the best choice. And thinking back, I had some great teachers and some not so great ones in elementary school, but they all added up to a fine education.

How do you handle it?

2. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Personally I would not request a teacher for one of my children unless another one of my children had them and had a really good year. Because what one parent may like in a teacher you may not. I had thought about requesting a different kindergarten teacher for my DD this year that my niece had 2 years ago because she had a great year. But now I'm really glad I didn't as I really like the teacher she got. I also don't know if you request would be granted just based on another's parents recommendation. I think you would be more likely to get the request granted if another one of your children had that teacher then you'd have a good reason for requesting this particular teacher. Personally I would just wait and see who your son gets next year. You may like that teacher better. If you really clash again and you don't feel your son is thriving in that class, then you can always request a change and have a valid reason.

3. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Well, for Jon, tomorrow, I am actually requesting his teacher. BUT, it is due to the classroom situation--she has an aide-and his circumstances that I even feel it is necessary. For Marcus, I have no say. With Jackson already in the gifted school, I probably wouldn't request. Funny thing here, is that there is a K teacher that is pretty strict, and many parents don't like her--usually the ones who haven't had kids in her class. But all the kids in her classes excel, and the kids LOVE her!

4. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

We get no say in who they get. If there were special circumstances it might be different, but otherwise no.

5. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

When my brothers were in elementary school it was recommended to my mom to ask for a teacher when we were avoiding a teacher. I had a 'bad' teacher when I was in 2nd grade. My mom wanted to avoid her as homeroom when my brothers got to school. It worked. They had her, and she had improved in those years, but mom was happy with the boys' homeroom teachers.

6. mommyto3girls

mommyto3girls Well-Known Member

We had requested Caitlyn's 1st grade teacher and we love her. There was a possibility that she was going to 2nd grade and we would have requested her. We found out that she isn't though. The teachers can't really tell you who they think is the best teacher for the next year but I asked her who had a similar teaching style (Caitlyn is doing so well). She gave me a name.

I will request teachers for the twins when they get there too.There are certain teachers that I don't want them to have so you have to request a specific teacher.

Our school tries to honor requests.

7. BGTwins97

BGTwins97 Well-Known Member

I always keep my ears open for info about teachers, and usually do request. Last year, I knew very little about the fourth grade teachers, and had heard rave reviews about both. I also really, really like the kids' third grade teacher and trusted her to put them in a class that was a good fit for them. Thus I didn't request, and it has worked out well.

In years where there is either a very strong teacher or a very weak one, I do request. The way I see it, if there is a fantastic teacher whom I want my kids to have, there is little chance that they will land in her class if I DON'T request, as most other parents will be requesting her as well. If I do request, they'll have a chance of landing in that class. Since I always have a brief meeting with the teacher every year to make sure that she is fine with the kids staying together, it's also a good time to sort of sound out whether my gut feeling about next year's teacher is accurate.

Now that the kids are older, I do leave the final decision about teacher requests up to the kids. They know that a request might mean that they land in a different class than their best friends, so I wouldn't request without their wanting me to do so.

8. Julie

Julie Well-Known Member

We are allowed to submit a letter saying what kind of teacher our child would do best with but we are not allowed to request a teacher by name. In the spring all the teachers of a grade sit down with the principal and plan for next year. The teachers know who gets along with whom and which kids need to be separated. They also want to make sure that one teacher does not end with all the children that are in need of more guidence. I'm more inclined to let the school make the decision but I might feel differently if all the other parents were requesting teachers and that was allowed.

9. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

We are only allowed to non-request teachers at all of our schools (elementary/middle/high school). We cannot specifically request a certain teacher. I always put in a letter at the end of the school year, though, to request teacher's with similar methods/teaching styles for my boys when they were in elementary school. (Non-issue in middle school because they are on the same team.) I have never nonrequested (at least at the elementary school level) because I am familiar with all the teachers and there really weren't any that we did not want. Being on the PTA board, I was always well acquainted with the various teachers and usually ended up with teachers I wanted for my boys anyway! (I think the prinicipal knew where I wanted them placed generally.) I did nonrequest one team at the middle school for next year because B&C will be in 7th grade and one of my friend's (a 7th grade teacher at their school) told me one team that I did not want for the boys. So I non-requested that team and am really hoping (as is my friend) that B&C get on her team next year. Sean was on her team and all the teachers are very strong and she (my friend) is the science teacher and team leader.

10. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

It depends on the school and the principal (I have taught in 3 districts and at 4 different schools). You may want to find out first. I know I have worked in the past with principals that have purposely NOT given the parent's choice. If they do not allow requests, you can always do what Kim suggested and write a letter explaining your child's needs.

11. Katheryn

Katheryn Well-Known Member

I have yet to request a teacher. I suppose I would request 'NOT' to have a specific teacher if I thought that a particular teacher was "bad" or we had previous experience with a certain teacher who I knew to be unqualified or something. Our teachers are all good for the most part at our elementary school. I've had no problems with any of them.

12. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

I had a friend suggest a teacher for my soon to be 3rd graders. I considered it but also asked my childrens current teachers (who I like very much) what they thought. I found out that this 3rd grade teacher is expecting and will not be back for the start of the year. This really helped me make my decission against this teacher. My children are very quiet and take a bit of time to warm up to new people. This would not have been great for either of them. I also found out that the teachers decide as a group who will fit best with what teacher for the next school year. I will probably stay with allowing them to choose unless I hear something in the negative about any certain teachers.

I have requested that my younger 3 follow along with a teacher that an older sibling has had already because I have already built up a relationship with those teachers. I don't know how this will work when Stephanie, Daniel and Christina split up as they get into the upper grades.

13. MyTwinGirlsNY

MyTwinGirlsNY Member

QUOTE(jxnsmama @ May 13 2007, 07:56 AM) [snapback]253430[/snapback]
    Jackson will be going into fourth grade, and one of the moms who's very active at our school (and we've become friends) has been suggesting which of the three fourth-grade teachers is best, and that I should tell the principal I want Jackson assigned to her class. This year, I really haven't liked his teacher. She's done a fine job, has been fair, and he's definitely learning; it's just that our personalities don't mesh at all, to the point that I've barely helped out in class and have chaperoned no field trips, because I just can't stand to be around her for any length of time. Last year, I really clicked with his teacher, and it was so fun to do stuff with the class.

Anyway, part of me wants to go ahead with my friend's recommendation (I trust her opinion completely), but then part of me thinks I should just let the chips fall where they may. I don't know any of the fourth grade teachers, so I don't feel I'm really in a position to make the best choice. And thinking back, I had some great teachers and some not so great ones in elementary school, but they all added up to a fine education.

How do you handle it?

We are not allowed to request teachers here. It is actually a hot button topic because some think exceptions should be made when an older sibling has had a bad experience with a particular teacher. Some schools will make that exception, but not all. It is part of my growing frustration with our schools here. No consistency and the decisions on placement vary school by school since a lot is left to principal discretion.

14. mom23sweetgirlies

mom23sweetgirlies Well-Known Member

I have never requested a certain teacher before, but I will be this year. Dh got a new job forcing us to move. Alexandra is in a Charter school that is VERY hands on and focuses on arts & sciences, she is thriving in this school and cried so much when I told her we were moving. :( Anyways we had a very bad experience with a public school so I was very nervous to put her in this one, but the town we are moving to is very small so I have no choice. I was told by some of the locals who are familiar with Alex's current school that one particular teacher uses the teaching style Alex is used to and would be a perfect fit. I don't know yet what the school's policy is on this, but I am going to recommend that teacher and pray she gets her. Ashley and Alicia are starting Kindergarten and were going to be in the same class for the first time because there was only one kindergarten class, and they were very excited about it. So I will be asking that they be allowed to stay together as well.