Do you allow your kids to eat popcorn?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cjk2002, Oct 30, 2011.

1. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

My boys will be 4 in January and in their Halloween gift bags from school was a bag of kettle corn. I am eating it now and as I type this, my one DS is begging me for some. There have been a few "slips" at Grandma's house, but other than that I don't allow them to eat it.

I believe I read somewhere that they should not eat it until the age of 5 because it's a choking hazard.

So have you let your kids eat popcorn?

2. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

My kids have popcorn all the time. 5 seems a little old to me. We've only started in the last 3-4 months (will be four in Feb), but we haven't had any problems.

3. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Mine got it before 4. I dont remember exactly, but we just remind them not to each the unpopped kernels.

4. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I read 4, I think... but no we don't give it, heck dh almost choked on some a year ago... not risking it.

5. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

I've read 4 as well. We've just started giving it to them on occasion.

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Our girls have been eating popcorn since they were about 2.5. Usually while we all watch movies together. It's never been an issue.

7. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I started recently, but we don't eat it very often. When they get it, it's very much a supervised food. They get a piece at a time from DH or I that is completely popped.

8. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

They had it once, when they saw "Cars 2". Other than that, it is off limits. Maybe I'll let them have it by the time they are 5. I'm in no hurry. But we often have that as a snack after hockey practices with some chocolate milk (good for recovery).

9. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine have had it since around 2.5 when we took them to their first movie:) They LOVE it!!!!!

10. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Around age 2.5 here too, under supervision. Drop a kernel of popped corn into a drink, it softens up into a ball of mush. If one of them chokes a bit we give them something to drink and it mushes up the popcorn easily. :)

11. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh yeah, my two love popcorn. Alice could eat an entire box of it at the movie theaters. We give them a big drink to go along with it so if any of it gets caught in their throat, they can drink it down.

12. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

Mine love popcorn! We don't just have it everyday, but since it's a snack that I like we have it in the house on a normal basis and if they ask for or we're watching a movie, we'll pop some and eat it.

13. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine love popcorn too. I would say they had it for the first time around 2.5 years old. We just remind them not to eat kernels.

14. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

mine have also been eating it for quite a while...in fact Abby can make herself sick on it!

15. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

I would guess they first had popcorn around 3 1/2. DD loves it and when we go to a movie, she sits by DH with the popcorn bag and eats the majority of the bag. DS sits by me with the twizzlers.

16. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes, mine have had popcorn for a while now, with no issues. I watch them and they eat just one puff at a time so that's good I suppose. My I just shove it in by the handful. :popcorn:

17. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

Well I guess I'm waaaay behind in this area. Earlier this year I bought one of those table top popcorn makers and was thinking about how much fun it will be to make some and watch a movie with my boys.

Sounds like a plan for this weekend! :popcorn:

2 people like this.
  18. kgar

kgar Well-Known Member

There was a high-profile case (gotta a lot of press coverage) recently where a 4-year-old girl died after aspirating a piece of popcorn. Her father was just in the next room and had only walked away from her for a minute. Anyway, scared the bejeezus out of me so no popcorn for my girls until they are at least 5. I think the problem with popcorn is that it's difficult to dislodge from the airway after it gets aspirated. If I recall correctly, the father in the high-profile case I mentioned found his daughter before she asphyxiated, but he was unable to get the popcorn out of her airway.

19. scrappycindy

scrappycindy Well-Known Member

We started giving our two popcorn a couple months ago. They've never had and issue, and love it! I use an air popper and they love to watch it being popped. They are always supervised while eating it.

20. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls love popcorn!

21. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My kids all love popcorn. It is a regular snack around here (and has been for L&L since they were probably 3.5) & we have never had a problem.

22. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

BIG popcorn loves over here too! All three of them actually. The boys saw their first movie about two months before their third birthday...but I doubt that was their first time. Whenever they watch movies at home they get popcorn(movies shown at night I should say...lol). They always have it with drinks and know not to eat the kernels. I have a friend who's son is 5, and I don't think he's had it yet.

23. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

Mine have been eating it for a long time! I didnt even realize it was a choking hazard until they were 3!! We have never had a problem with it but I always monitor them when they r eating.

24. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Count us among the popcorn lovers. I didn't know it was a choking hazard until a few months ago and by then it was already too late since my girls are addicted. They also started eating nuts at about 2.5, which is apparently a no-no as well. Oooops.

25. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

Mine have been eating it since around 2.5