Do they sell "underwear" seperately for dresses?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by double-or-nothing, Oct 8, 2007.

1. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

Ok, newest clothing dilemma. I have a bunch of hand me down dresses but many of them did not come with matching underwear which many often do. I am noticing in the stores that with the 2T sizes and up (and a few of the 24 months dresses), many of the dresses/skirts don't come with the underwear that you would put over the diaper. I don't know if this just my hang-up but I feel funny putting them in dresses when their diaper can be exposed. I feel like they are a little naked, kwim?

Is it ok to wear some of these dresses with just tights over the diaper? Does that kind of substitue the underwear thing? With fall coming and so many cute dresses, I want to use them as much as possible but not at the expense of exposing my girls. Does that sound like I'm being rediculous? I just don't know what is appropriate and what is not. Do they sell some kind of solid colored underwear that can be worn over the diaper? It's still a little too warm for tights although the weather is suppose to be changing later this week but who knows if another wave of warm weather will hit us or not.

2. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

You aren't being ridiculous...I am the same way! I think it's kind of weird just letting the diaper hang out (just me personally). I know that Target and Meijer sell diaper covers in the infant section (where all the socks adn stuff are). I bought some this summer b/c the dresses they wore for my sister's wedding were 2T and didn't come with diaper covers (and they didn't wear tights). I *think* they had 2T and 3T sizes. I found the ones at Meijer were TOO tight on their thighs (and my girls are not big girls at all...they are only 28 lbs), so the Target ones were better. Target's are a 2 pk...one has a little ruffle on the bum, the other does not.

As for just putting tights over the diaper...that would be fine. Sometimes I prefer the cover over it though b/c sometimes the tights stay up better and don't slide down. I'm not sure what size shirt your girls wear, but mine can still fit into the 24 month onesies (WalMart brand in the clothing section) b/c they run HUGE and sometimes I'll put the diaper on, then the tights and then snap the onesie over the tights. That keeps everything up and nothing exposed.

3. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

I did tights over diapers sometimes. If it wasn't tights weather, we had a thing I think is called a diaper cover. Basically, fancy little bottoms. Let me see if I can find some and link it for you. I'm so bad at the link thing...

Something like this, but ours were white with lace. We got them hand me down, so I have no idea where to buy them, but I just found this online.
    diaper cover

4. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

If you have tights, just use those. Most of our dresses came with bloomers etc., but we haven't reached 2T in dress size yet, so that could be why. Otherwise, I think it's perfectly acceptable to put the tights over the diaper and call it good.

5. swp0525

swp0525 Well-Known Member

Thanks for asking this question!!! My dd got a TON of hand-me-downs that I was just going through this weekend, hoping to be able to change the closets over to fall sometime this week and noticed that she got so many pretty dresses and no bloomers to go with them. I had no idea you could buy diaper covers seperately!!!

6. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your quick responses. Always nice to know that I'm not the only one who thinks/worries about these things.

Twinzmom2b-my girls seem to be the same size as yours. I also just bought a ton of the snap onsies (size 24 mo) from Wal-Mart. I totally forgot that I could almost get away with that looking like underwear. I will deffinately do that with the tights (which I also bought from W-M) and then the onsie on top. I would deffinately feel comfortable with that.

Emily-thanks for that site. that is very similar to what i'm looking for although i wish they sold them in solid colors so i can coordinate them with the dresses we already have but i will do some more research to find out if they sell something similar in the solid colors.

dfaut-thanks also, i think i will also probably be ok with the tights under the dresses when they are wearing just regular shirt and not the onsies.

stacy-glad to be of service :D that's what makes this site so totally awesome, eventually someone will post your question and someone will give answers/solutions

7. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

I always just put white monogrammed diaper covers under my girls' dresses. You can find them on Ebay by searching for "diaper cover" and you can get the personalized ones for about $10 a pair. HTH :)

8. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I have been putting bike shorts under dresses that don't have diaper covers. I got some on clearance and then bought a lot of nearly new ones from someone on another board. They are also good for summer sleeping and knocking around the house.