Do they make sippies that "vent"?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by vtlakey, Jun 11, 2010.

1. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

Colin started holding his own bottle close to 2 weeks ago, which is when we were also trying to get him to learn to use a sippy. We've tried the First Years Soothie transition sippy and the Nuby Sports Sipper with silicone valve. Colin does well with the Soothie since it currently has a bottle type nipple in it (I figured we would switch the spout once he has mastered holding the sippy). So tonight for the bedtime routine I put his milk in the Soothie sippy with nipple, instead of a Ventaire bottle like usual, and he held the Soothie sippy like a champ. But after a minute or so the nipple was collapsing and he wasn't getting much milk. So every couple of minutes I had to pull the sippy out of his mouth for just a second to let air in (and he didn't like that a bit). So I was just wondering if there are sippy cups out there that "vent" like Ventaire and Dr Browns bottles? If we transition Colin to a sippy with spout, do the spout sippies even have this problem, or are the spout holes big enough to let a little air in when the baby is drinking from it? Brandon is getting better at holding his bottle but still is a work in progress. And once they can hold bottles and sippy cups I want to encourage them to use sippies as much as possible, but I"m just wondering if this is a common problem with sippies, or just the sippies with nipples?

Our bedtime routine always involves us holding the boys while they take their 7 oz of milk, just before going to bed. And I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate sippies into that routine (without having to deal with collapsing nipples).

TIA!

2. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We used these Munchkin sippy cups at first, they are a soft silicone spout, similar to a silicone nipple but not quite as rounded, and they have an X cut into the valve to let air in while they drink. The nuby cups all collapsed on us really bad. The nice thing about the munchkin is it was sturdy enough to hold up to some chewing (mine chewed holes in the nuby ones too), but soft enough that if need be, you can use a sharp pointed knife and cut the valve hole just a little bigger, so when they are learning to drink out of them the liquid flows faster. The downfall is it will leak easier, so keep those cup lids seperate to be used only in high chairs ;)

Once they started chewing holes in the munchkin cups we switched to Playtex insulator cups because it's a hard spout they can't chew on. I prefer the insulator ones because they keep the liquid colder for when we are out and about :)

I'm not overly fond of their new "twist and click" lids, but I don't have much of a choice since most of their cups come in that style now. I prefer the old classic lids, they leaked less ;) But they are also 8 yrs old! :lol:

Oh and mine took to the munchkin ones super easily at the 12-13 month mark :)

3. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

We had really good luck transitioning to the Gerber Fun Grips Soft Starter sippies. It seems like we bought 25 different types of sippy before they decided they liked these. They have handles which make it easy for them to hold, the spout is soft but doesn't collapse, and the valves are interchangeable with other Gerber sippy cups.

Good luck finding something that works. I think every parent has a "sippy graveyard" of cups that have been tried and rejected. ;)

4. ilovemonkeys

ilovemonkeys Well-Known Member

I think the tommee tippee cups claim to have ventaire. They sell them at Babies r us.

5. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions ladies! I've bought a couple of new sippies this past week based on this thread and another sippy thread. Those tommee tippee cups look pretty cool. Might have to try those if the boys don't catch on to the 4 or 5 other types of sippies we have now :)