Do teeth always come through in pairs?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Andi German, May 6, 2009.

1. Andi German

Andi German Well-Known Member

Ellie has 4 teeth on the top and 3 on the bottom and has done for quite a while. Just realised that the 'other' bottom one didn't come through at the same time - is that normal? Max has 4 at the top 2 at the bottom and 2 top mid molars coming through. Anyone else have an odd number?

2. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

My boys seem to get them in pairs - as in if the bottom left comes in, the bottom right will come in next - but occasionally it has taken a few weeks for the "pair" tooth to come in. And now that they are getting their molars, Finley has his bottom right molar and top left molar - so the pair thing is not holding true for their molars.

3. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

bother ours just had the top 4 and bottom 2 for a long time. the 3rd on the bottom started coming in on both of them about 2 weeks ago... and we haven't seen the 4th yet...

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My son seems to get his in pairs but DD does not. DS has 4 teeth coming in right now (the fang teeth).

5. hot2trottt4u

hot2trottt4u Well-Known Member

DD's came in at odd numbers at first but they all came in, dont worrie :)

6. debid

debid Well-Known Member

Some have come in pairs, others have not. There is a typical order and they often come in pairs but that doesn't mean that's the way it always happens or that something is wrong if it doesn't.

7. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

With Katie's they did! She didn't have any teeth and then all of a sudden she had a mouthful.

8. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

Nope not always. My Laud got his two bottoms in pairs, but then got a single fang tooth on top. He has had that fang tooth for over a month. So he only has three. Creed on the other hand just pushed through his two fang teeth with the left one coming through a few days before the right. The opposite of Laud's.

9. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My kids did not always get them in pairs. Don't worry, they will all come in.

10. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

my ds is the only one whose teeth came in pairs.

11. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

QUOTE(debid @ May 6 2009, 03:22 PM) [snapback]1302781[/snapback]
    Some have come in pairs, others have not. There is a typical order and they often come in pairs but that doesn't mean that's the way it always happens or that something is wrong if it doesn't.

Ditto this. The longer I look after children the more I find that teeth are a law unto themselves and will do whatever they please! :D My advice is don't worry.

12. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

I agree - we have had a mix of symmetrical and asymmetrical time periods, as far as the teeth go. The matching half of the pair always comes in!

13. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My pedi said that teeth usually come in 4s, so maybe it just hasn't popped through yet! And I don't think that's a rule, I think it's just pretty common.