DIET RECIPES!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by The Q, Nov 18, 2003.

1. The Q

The Q Well-Known Member

Here we go, everyone! Post your special diet recipes here!

Please remember that we have people following different diets in the forum--so if it is, say, specifically an "ATKINS" recipe, or a "LOW CAL/LOW FAT" recipe, please make sure you tell us that at the top.

Also, if you have the nutritional information available, please post that as well (i.e. calories per serving, fat grams, etc.)

I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!

ADQ

Amanda "Baby Factory" Quraishi
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Omar and Nadia arrived on January 9, 2003!

Come on over and join us in the WEIGHT LOSS FORUM!

[This message was edited by Baby_Factory on November 18, 2003 at 01:46 PM.]

2. The Q

The Q Well-Known Member

CHICKEN CHILI

Unfortunately, I don't have the nutritional info for this--but it is delicious, and very low fat:

1 tbsp. olive oil
    1.5 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast
    1 c. chopped onion
    1.5 c. chicken broth
    1 can (4 oz.) green chili peppers, chopped
    1 tsp. garlic powder
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. dried oregano
    1/2 tsp. dried corriander leaf
    1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
    2 cans (19 oz.) white cannellini beans, drained and rinsed

Directions:
    Heat oil in large pot over med. high heat. Add chicken and onion and saute for 4-5 minutes.

Stir in broth and all seasonings.

Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

Stir in beans and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.

**You can top this with chopped green onions, or if you're feeling 'naughty', some monterey jack cheese.

Austin, Texas, USA

3. dollymomma

dollymomma Well-Known Member

LOW CARB Strawberry Mousse Pie

1 box SF instant Jello~ Strawberry(can substitute any other flavor you like)
    1 pkg (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened (optional)
    1 cup whipping cream, could go 1 1/2 cups

dissolve the jello in 3/4 cup boiling water, then add in 3/4 cup cold water and let cool. while the jello is cooling, whip the cream cheese till it's smooth. slowly add in the cooled jello, and whip till smooth. then whip the cream and add in a little splenda to sweeten it. then, mix the cream into the jello mixture with a wisk, and stir till incorporated. chill for at least an hour till the consistency of mousse.

the carbs for the mousse with the cream cheese is about 12.5 grams for the whole thing. without, it's just 6.8 grams for the whole thing.

if you choose, you can use a nut crust (much less carbs than a graham crust)

1 cup almond flour (ground almonds (about 1/2 cup whole will be about 1 cup ground), done in a coffee grinder)
    3 tbsp. splenda
    2 tbsp. melted butter

mix together and pat into a 9" pie plate and chill till firm. then add in the partially set mousse (refrigerated for 15 minutes then mounded on the crust).

the carb count for the crust is around 6 grams for the whole crust.

i have made this without the cream cheese, and it's very good too... and i've made this without the crust, and it's like a dessert cup... very delish!!! and if you don't portion it out, you'll easily eat it ALL!!!

dolly, twin sister to dorie
    hayden 3-13-91
    keenan 5-18-93
    montana 2-7-97
    malachi 3-5-00
    takoda & talon 5-1-02

4. purplekatz

purplekatz Well-Known Member

This is a Low Carb Recipe
    I eat this for lunch just about every day. They are so good!

TUNA PATTIES
    1 6 ounce can tuna, drained
    1 egg
    Dash celery salt and onion powder
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    1 ounce cheddar cheese, shredded
    Dash parmesan cheese (one "shake")

Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl; chill at least 30 minutes. Heat oil and a little butter in a large skillet on about medium heat. Gently pat the tuna mixture into 2 large patties with your hands and place them right into the pan (don't try to shape them and set them on a plate first; they'll fall apart when you pick them up). Flatten slightly. Fry about 3-4 minutes on each side until nicely browned (browning improves the flavor quite a bit). You'll need to flip them very gently as they are very soft.

Makes 1 serving (1.5 carbs)

[​IMG] Dawn
    Olivia and Julia 16 Months Old

5. althea73

althea73 Well-Known Member

VEGETARIAN CHILI

Makes about 8 servings and is about 300 calories per serving, with 18g of protein.

1 medium onion, chopped fine
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 zucchini, chopped
    1 yellow squash, chopped
    1/2 green pepper, chopped
    1 can black beans, drained
    1 can pinto beans, drained
    1 can kidney beans, drained
    1 can corn, drained
    15 ounces diced tomato
    1 can tomatoes with green chilies
    3 tablespoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1/8 teaspoon cumin
    1 cup water

1. Combine onion, pepper, and garlic. Cook about 5 minutes until onion softens. Add water, zucchini, squash, chili powder, salt, sugar, cumin and mix well. Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.

2. Add diced tomato and tomatoes with green chilis, black beans, pinto beans, kidney beans,and corn. Simmer for 30 minutes.

I usually top it with some low fat sour cream and low fat cheese.

~~Patti proud mommy to
    Devin and Alexis
    born December 30th, 2002

6. TrixieBelle

TrixieBelle Well-Known Member

I ate a wonderful dish the other day. You buy a green squash (butternut, acorn etc.) and halve it. Scoop out the seeds. Sprinkle on a *pinch* (under 1 teaspoon) of brown sugar, and a dash (very little) cinnamon. Microwave on regular power for 8 minutes. It has very few calories (depends on the size of the squash) and is easy and different. I was sooooo tired of salads I wanted to scream!

Trixie Belle, loving wife to XTankLt, gossip tabloid connoisseur, first time Mommy to Harry and Zoe, BG Twins, 07/13/2003
    http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/f/futurearmytwins/

7. dollymomma

here are my LOW CARB BRAN MUFFINS

1/4 cup oil (i use canola)
    1/4 cup splenda
    1/4 cup brown sugar twin (or you can use all splenda)
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1/2 cup water
    1 cup soy flour (sifted to remove any lumps)
    1 cup wheat bran
    1 Tbsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt

combine the oil, sugars, egg, cream and water in a medium bowl. in another bowl, mix the remaining dry ingredients, then add the dry to the liquid, and mix till combined. (don't worry too much about overmixing, i always do, and they're fine). spoon into "pammed" muffin tins and bake at 400 degrees for around 18 minutes or till done.

the carb count for each muffin is 3.3 grams

i always do up two dozen and freeze them and take out what i want when i want it... just microwave for 10 seconds at a time till they're warmed up and enjoy!!! these satisfy my need for homemade muffins, and taste just like regular bran muffins... also, you could add in 1/2 cup of blueberries, which would make the carb count around 4 grams per muffin...

dolly, twin sister to dorie
    hayden 3-13-91
    keenan 5-18-93
    montana 2-7-97
    malachi 3-5-00
    takoda & talon 5-1-02

8. LisaGoeke

LisaGoeke Well-Known Member TS Moderator

TACO SOUP

Brown 1 lb (or more) ground beef and 1 medium chopped onion--drain.

Drain and Add the following:
    1 can Yellow Hominy
    1 can White Hominy
    1 can pinto beans
    1 can red kidney beans

Then add the following:
    1 Large can crushed tomatoes
    1 can rotel tomatoes
    1 package taco seasoning mix
    1 package of hidden valley ranch original dressing mix

I cook in the crockpot all day so the flavors mix...then serve with shredded cheese and taco chips.

The soup is 2 WW pts per cup without the cheese and chips of course.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lisa Goeke
    Lauren, 10/8/95
    Matthew, 6/18/99
    Jacob & Nicholas, 6/20/01
    http://www.stlmotc.org/index.html
    http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/g/goekefamily/

9. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

Cola chicken

1 cup Ketchup
    1 can diet coke
    4 chicken breasts

Place chicken in frying pan. Mix together ketchup and diet coke. Pour over chicken. Bring to a boil then cover and turn low-med heat for 45 minutes. Remove lid and bring back to a boil until sauce thickens and adheres to chicken. This is great with rice!

This is SOOOOO good, and very kid friendly. Give it a try.

I do not know the nutritional info for this but for those doing weight watchers each chicken breast is 4 points.

ENJOY!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Angie (26)
    Carl (33)
    Sarah (9)
    Emma (3)
    Erin and Abigail 10/06/03

http://pages.ivillage.com/ang777/

10. MarylandMommy

MarylandMommy Well-Known Member

Low Carb Yummy Italian Turkey or Chicken

This could also work for low-fat diets if you substitue non-fat dressing for the full fat kind.

You need a marinade injector, a turkey or chicken and a bottle (or two for a big turkey) of Italian dressing.

Injest the dressing under the skin all over the bird, dump some dressing in the bottom of the pan and the rest inside. Cook as usual. It is sooo yummy and the left overs are great! Maybe a little too great as I can't keep my fingers out of them.

I also tried it with sesame dressing and it was good as well.

Cheri
    Wife to Jim since 1995
    Mom to Riegen since August
    2001 and to Deavon and Maitlyn since January 4, 2003.

11. The Q

The Q Well-Known Member

SPINACH VICHYSOISSE
    (From The Gradual Vegetarian by Lisa Tracy)
    --------------------------------------
    I actually added a couple things to this recipe--so below is my version:
    -------------------------------------
    INGREDIENTS:

2 tbs. butter
    6 med. potatoes, skinned, chopped into chunks
    1 med. carrot, chopped finely
    1 med. onion, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
    10 oz fresh spinach, washed and drained
    1 tbs. salt
    1 tsp. corriander powder
    1 tsp. garlic salt

-------------------------
    Melt butter in a large pot.

Add onion, potato, and carrot. Saute for a couple minutes.

Add 1 quart of water and salt. Bring to a boil, cover, and let simmer for half hour--or until veggies are tender.

Increase heat until boiling and add spinach leaves. Stir for a minute or two, until the leaves are wilted.

Remove from heat.

Puree the soup in a blender (you'll have to fill the blender up a couple times to do all the soup).

Soup should be a thick, creamy consistency. Return it to the pot and keep on low heat until ready to serve.

I served mine with tuna salad sandwiches--but a nice loaf of hot bread with butter would be good, too.

ADQ

12. The Q

The Q Well-Known Member

Here is an UNBELIEVABLY good VEGAN recipe for chocolate mousse. It takes about 2 MINUTES to prepare-- and don't let the tofu turn you off--just try it. It is cheap. It is healthy. It is AMAZING!

--------------------------
    Vegan Chocolate Mousse

1 16oz. package of SILKEN Tofu (make sure you get Silken and not Firm or Extra Firm Tofu).

1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Blend tofu in a blender until is is smooth. Melt chocolate chips in a sauce pan and add to the blender. Blend so that the tofu and chocolate are completely mixed.

Pour into individual cups/dishes and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.

---------------------------------
    It is so smooth, creamy and delicious! You will never look at tofu the same way again!

13. althea73

althea73 Well-Known Member

Amanda your Tofu Mousse made me think of a tofu recipe that I absolutely LOVE! (BTW it sounds delicous, Ill have to try it) I found this recipe on www.allrecipes.com and it is EXCELLENT...

6 red potatoes, peeled and cubed
    2 (11 ounce) cans whole kernel corn, undrained
    1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
    1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
    1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
    2 cups vegetable broth
    1 (12 ounce) package low-fat, firm silken tofu
    salt to taste

1 Place potatoes in a large pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Cook until tender, about 30 minutes; drain.

2 To the potatoes add corn, bell pepper, onion, red pepper flakes and vegetable broth. Boil for about 15 minutes; remove from heat.

3 In a food processor or blender puree all but 1 1/2 cups of the vegetable and broth mixture with the tofu. Process in batches if necessary. Combine the pureed mixture with the remaining 1 1/2 cups vegetable and broth mixture, and cook over low heat for 5 minutes; do not boil. Season with salt to taste.

I like to top it with a little sour cream and cheese and YUM!

Makes 6 servings and is 200 cal per serving.

~~Patti proud mommy to
    Devin and Alexis
    born December 30th, 2002

14. LisaGoeke

NO PUDGE BROWNIES AT HOME

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
    3/4 cup all purpose flour
    1 Tbsp cornstarch
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    2/3 c fat free vanilla yogurt
    (or use plain yogurt and 1 tsp vanilla extract)

Mix all ingredients together until well mixed and glossy. Bake in an 8x8" pan sprayed with Pam. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. Top
    with FF Cool Whip.

Individual brownies: 2 Tbsp cocoa mix and 1 Tbsp Fat Free vanilla yogurt. Stir together until glossy. Microwave 1 minute on high.

16 servings
    2 Weight Watchers Points each

15. purplekatz

purplekatz Well-Known Member

Roasted Green Beans
    These are so yummy! I found them on the Atkins Website, but I think anyone can eat these on any plan!
    Take some green beans, I've used, fresh, frozen and canned. Put them on a cookie sheet. Take a T of olive oil, mix them up. Add a dash of salt (I use light salt) Roast in oven 350 degrees 25-30 mins turning once. They should get golden brown and crisp. They are better than French Fries!

16. dollymomma

LOW CARB 3 MINUTE CHOCOLATE CAKE
    (from lowcarbfriends.com)

1/4 C Almond Flour
    1 T Cocoa Powder
    1/4 t Baking Powder
    5 Packets Splenda (3 Tbsp)

2 T Melted Butter
    1 T Water
    1 Egg

In 2-Cup Pyrex baking dish blend well left column (flour, cocoa, baking powder, splenda). Add water, melted butter and egg. Blend thoroughly with fork. Cover with plastic wrap (To vent, cut small slit in center of plastic wrap). Microwave on high 1 minute or until knife comes out clean. Cool a bit; eat warm with whipped cream or cool completely to ice.

Serves 2

5.5g Carbs 2g Fiber 1g Sugar

this is a great substitute for real chocolate cake... find a little low carb ice cream, or sweetened whipped cream, and YUM!!!

17. dollymomma

LOW CARB CHOCOLATE TORTE

2 cups almonda flour
    1/3 cup cocoa, sifted
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 cup butter
    2/3 cup splenda
    1/3 cup brown sugar twin
    1 egg
    2 tbsp. water
    1 tsp. vanilla

cream butter and sugars, then add egg and beat till fluffy. add water and vanilla and dry ingredients. mix well. divide into 4 portions. grease a cookie sheet and lay a sheet of parchment paper on top, then grease the parchment paper. press each portion of dough (will be sticky) into an 8" circle on the parchment (using a butter knife to spread is easiest). bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes, and cool. fill with chocolate cream, as follows:

2 cups whipping cream
    1/3 cup cocoa
    1/2 cup splenda (or use davinci's sugar free vanilla syrup to taste, as there are NO carbs)
    1 tsp. vanilla

mix all together and allow to sit in the refrigerator 1/2 hour. then whip till very stiff. when the "cookies" are cool, lay one cookie on a platter, then spread 1/4 of the cream on top. follow with layers of cookie then cream, ending with cream. chill overnight to allow cookies to soften.

enjoy!!!

total carbs with splenda in the cream is 78 grams. using davinci's syrup is 66 grams. this will easily serve 10-12...

18. sydnie

sydnie Well-Known Member

WEIGHT WATCHERS (Low Fat/Calories)
    3 points for 1/12 on WW plan

Diet Coke Cake

1 cake mix (any kind)
    1 can Diet Coke (Diet Pepsi)
    2 egg whites

Mix the cake mix, two egg whites and a can of Diet Coke (12oz.) together in a bowl, mix well, and pour into pan of choice. Follow baking times on the cake mix.

This taste so good! The only fat, calorie, carbs you would count would be the cake mix (unprepared).

19. smurf13

smurf13 Well-Known Member

Here is a Low fat Dip and Topping

15 calories for each 2 Tablespoons of Salsa or Sour Cream

Mix Equal parts salsa and fat free sour cream.

I use the salsa with beans in it.
    I got this on the back of those rice cakes and it makes them taste alot better. I love it on just about anything including veggies. What makes it so good to me it kind of tames the salsa down, My kids even love it.

Also Low fat cake recipe
    Take any regular cake mix and mix a can of pumkin instead of all the other ingredients. i havent tried it yet but my friend says its good, with out using all the oil and eggs.

20. kimbuh

kimbuh Well-Known Member

I've mentioned this pie several times on this board (as my mom made it for my birthday!)and some others and it's such a great pie that I wanted to share it with you all. It lists the nutritional information at the bottom. Not sure if it's considered low-fat or carb friendly, but I know it's got only 5 g total fat 2 g saturated and it's 25 g of carbs (or 1.5 carb units) My favorite is cherry, but have tried lots of other sugar free flavors and they are all great!

Light COOL 'N EASY® Pie

Prep Time: 15 min
    Total Time: 4 hr 30 min
    Makes: 8 servings

2/3 cup boiling water
    1 pkg. (4-serving size) JELL-O Brand Sugar Free Low Calorie Gelatin, any flavor
    Ice cubes
    1/2 cup cold water
    1 tub (8 oz.) COOL WHIP FREE Whipped Topping, thawed, divided
    1 ready-to-use reduced fat graham cracker crumb crust (6 oz. or 9 inch)

STIR boiling water into dry gelatin mix in large bowl at least 2 minutes until completely dissolved. Add enough ice to cold water to measure 1 cup. Add to gelatin; stir until slightly thickened. Remove any unmelted ice.
    ADD 2 cups of the whipped topping; stir with wire whisk until well blended. Refrigerate 10 to 15 minutes or until mixture is very thick and will mound. Spoon into crust. Refrigerate 4 hours or until firm.
    TOP with remaining whipped topping just before serving. Store leftover pie in refrigerator.

KRAFT KITCHENS TIPS

Special Extra: Garnish pie with cut-up assorted fresh fruit.

NUTRITION INFORMATION

Nutrition Bonus:
    Have a taste for something sweet? This cool and creamy pie can help you eat right!

Diet Exchange:
    1-1/2 Carbohydrate,1 Fat

Nutrition (per serving)
    Calories 150
    Total fat 5g
    Saturated fat 2g
    Cholesterol 0mg
    Sodium 160mg
    Carbohydrate 25g
    Dietary fiber 0g
    Sugars 10g
    Protein 3g
    Vitamin A 0%DV
    Vitamin C 0%DV
    Calcium 0%DV
    Iron 2%DV

Kraft page with picture of pie

21. MarylandMommy

MarylandMommy Well-Known Member

This is absolutely wonderful!

balsamic chicken with mushrooms

POINTS value | 3
    Servings | 4
    Preparation Time | 10 min
    Cooking Time | 10 min
    Level of Difficulty | Easy

main meals | For a different flair, substitute dry white wine for the chicken broth, then sprinkle on a few spoonfuls of chopped sun-dried tomatoes with the mushrooms.

Ingredients

2 tsp vegetable oil
    3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
    2 tsp Dijon mustard
    1 large garlic clove(s), crushed
    1 pound uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast(s), four 4-oz pieces
    2 cup mushroom(s), small, halved
    1/3 cup canned chicken broth
    1/4 tsp dried thyme, crumbled

Instructions

In a nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of oil.

In a medium bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of vinegar, the mustard and garlic. Add chicken and turn to coat.

Transfer chicken and marinade to skillet. Sauté chicken until cooked through, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer chicken to a platter and keep warm.

Heat remaining teaspoon of oil in skillet. Sauté mushrooms for 1 minute. Add broth, thyme and remaining tablespoon of vinegar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are deep brown, about 2 minutes longer.

Serve chicken topped with mushrooms.

22. ksasbabe

ksasbabe Well-Known Member

New to the forum, but will add what we had for dinner tonight. The points work out to be 2pts for 2 patties. I didn't make the sauce, and I made the patties smaller(it's a visual, smaller but more) These are NOT your mother's Salmon Patties.
    Salmon Cakes w/ Lime Sauce

Sauce
    1 lime
    1/2 cup fat-free mayo
    1/4 cup fat-free sour cream

Salmon Cakes
    2 cans (6 ounces each) skinless, boneless pink salmon packed in water, drained and flaked
    1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
    1/4 cup thinly sliced freen onions w/ tops
    1 tablespoon snipped fresh cilantro (I left out, allergic)
    3/4 cup unseasoned dry bread crumbs, divided
    q/e cup fat-free m ayo
    1 egg white

For sauce:
    Set lime to measure 2 teaspoons, juice lime to measure 2 teaspoons. Mix w/ mayo and sour cream, mix well. Cover, refridgerate.
    For Salmon cakes drain salmon and flake. Finely chop bell pepper and thinly slice green onions. Snop cilantro. Add bell pepper, green onions, cilantro, 1/2 cup of the bread crumbs., mayo and egg white to salmon. mix well.
    Sprinkle remaining q/r cup bread crumbs onto bottom of shallow dish. Scoop salmon w/ scoop, put in bread crumbs and flatten to 1/2 inch thickness, Turn to coat evenly w/ bread crumbs. Heat skillet until hot and cook salmon cakes 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. Serve w/ sauce.

Nutrients p/serving (2 salmon cakes w/ 2 teaspoons sauce)
    Calories: 100 (19% from fat)
    Total fat: 2g
    saturated fat: 1 g
    Cholesterol 15mg
    Carbohydrate 13 g.
    Protein 8 g
    Sodium: 290 mg
    Fiber: less than 1g

I added pepper to mine when we ate. You could spice it by exchanging 1 tablespoon of chopped jalapeno pepper for the green onion.

23. luv2bake

luv2bake Well-Known Member

I just found this recipe and it sounded like a good one. I'm going to buy cauliflower tonight. [​IMG]

Top Secret Recipes
    version of
    Ruby Tuesday
    Creamy Mashed Cauliflower
    by Todd Wilbur

The low-carb craze is influencing menus of America's restaurant chains, but no chain has embraced the trend as enthusiastically as Ruby Tuesday. Nation's Restaurant News awarded the chain "Best Healthy Choice Menu Selection for 2004," based on more than 30 new low-carb dishes added to the menu, including low-carb cheesecake, burgers in high-fiber tortilla wraps, and other low-carb stand-ins such as Creamy Mashed Cauliflower. This most talked-about of the new selections is a side dish stunt double for mashed potatoes, but the carb count comes in at a measly 9 net carbs per 3/4-cup serving, according to the menu. The spices and cream that are added to steamed and pureed cauliflower give this dish the taste, texture and appearance of America's favorite side dish. Serve this up with any entrée that goes well with mashed potatoes, and I swear you'll never miss the spuds.

1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
    3/4 cup water
    1 tablespoon corn starch
    1/3 cup heavy cream
    1 teaspoon granulated sugar
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon white pepper
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/8 teaspoon onion powder

1. Divide a head of cauliflower into florets that are all roughly the same size. Steam cauliflower pieces over boiling water for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender. Drain the cauliflower and toss it in a bowl of ice water to bring the cooking process to a screeching halt.
    2. When the cauliflower has cooled, put the florets in a food processor along with 1/2 cup of water. Puree the cauliflower on high speed until smooth, but with some very small pieces of cauliflower remaining in the mix for just a bit of texture.
    3. Pour all of the pureed cauliflower into a medium sauce pan. Dissolve the corn starch in the remaining 1/4 cup of water and add the solution to the cauliflower.
    4. Add the cream, salt, white pepper, garlic powder and onion powder to the cauliflower and stir. Set the saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring often, for 5 to 10 minutes, or until thick.

Makes three 3/4-cup servings.

24. Jackie

Jackie Well-Known Member

Homemade Middle Eastern Salad Dressing

1 table spoon olive oil
    1 lemon
    1 clove fresh garlic - mashed
    1/2 cup red wine vinegar
    salt and pepper to taste

then just before you dress the salad - sprinkle dried mint leaves on the lettuce. The ones you buy in the grocery store in the spices section, you still have to smash in between fingers as you are putting it on the lettuce to make it real fine.

Pour dressing evenly over salad and toss it real good. Ready to serve! That is enough for 2-4 servings of salad. Best if eaten the same day.

25. LisaGoeke

Thanks to Tracey633 for this Weight Watchers recipe:

Garden Vegetable Soup
    2/3 cup sliced carrot
    1/2 cup diced onion
    2 garlic cloves minced
    3 cups fat free broth (beef, chicken or vegetable)
    1 1/2 cups diced green cabbage
    1/2 cup green beans
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup diced zucchini

1. In large saucepan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, saute the carrot, onion and garlic over low heat until softened about 5 minutes.
    2. Add broth, cabbage, beans, tomato paste, basil, oregano, and salt; bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until beans are tender.
    3. Stir in zucchini and heat 3-4 minutes, Serve hot. Makes four 1 - cup servings.

Per serving: 42 calories; 0 gram fat and 2 g fiber..so it is 0 points PER SERVING, not if you eat the whole pot in one sitting...lol

26. LisaGoeke

And thanks to lovemybabies for this one too!

Here's another one if you're lazy like me and don't like to cut up veggies.........I made it this week and it really is great!

Makes 7-8 cups

Ingredients

1 can (14.5 oz) Del Monte Fresh Cut Whole New potatoes, drained & cubed
    1 can (14.5 oz) Del Monte Fresh Cut Sliced Carrots, drained
    1 can (14.5 oz) Del Monte Fresh Cut Zucchini with Italian-Style Tomato Sauce
    1 can (14.5 oz Del Monte Fresh Cut Diced tomatoes with Basil, Garlic & Oregano
    1 can (14 oz) chicken or beef broth

Combine all ingredients in large pot. Bring to a boil; then reduce heat
    and simmer 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

27. LisaGoeke

Thank you Tara, Sverad, for this recipe:

-------------------

This was given to me years ago by a friend on Weight Watchers. Although I make them with 'regular' stuff usually, unless I am dieting. I can't remember the point value and I never wrote it down (never did WW). I will post the diet version, it's easy enough to substitute whole stuff if wanted. These are sooo yummy, of course I love p-butter!

Peanut Butter Fluffs

12 fat free Nilla Wafers
    2c FF cool whip
    1c skim milk
    1c plus 1 tbsp low fat peanut butter
    1 envelope reduced calorie instant vanilla pudding
    2tbsp no sugar added strawberry jam (if desired)

Place wafers in muffin cups in muffin pan. Top with 2 tsp cool whip. Beat milk and p-butter until smooth. Add pudding mix, beat until blended. Fold in remaining cool whip. Put on top of wafers/cool whip. Dab each with jam, if desired. Place in freezer 4 hours or overnight. let stand 5 minutes before serving.

28. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

This might sound weird, but it's one of my favorite foods in the whole world this time of year. And full of vitamins and good stuff. Just go light on the dressing because it's not low calorie.

SPINACH STRAWBERRY CHICKEN SALAD

Baby spinach leaves
    Sliced strawberries
    Grilled chicken breasts, sliced
    Marie's Poppy Seed Dressing

Add desired amounts of each ingredient to bowl -- go light on the dressing, it's full fat but a little goes a long way in flavor. Toss and eat!

YUM!

29. * Dana *

* Dana * Well-Known Member

Shallot-Sautéed Salmon

2 tsp olive oil
    3 1/2 oz Atlantic salmon fillet(s)
    1/8 cup shallot(s) chopped
    1 tsp ground tarragon
    2 tsp white wine vinegar
    4 cup spinach steamed
    1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
    1 cup cooked brown rice

Heat 1 tsp oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Sauté salmon until just opaque in center; set aside. Add shallot, terragon and wine to pan. Season to taste and sauté until shallots soften. Return salmon to pan and warm through. Serve over brown rice and complement with spinach, drizzled with lemon juice and 1 tsp oil.

30. TonyaT

TonyaT Well-Known Member

my mom makes this awesome dessert/snack thing, it's similar to something posted above, but i thought maybe i'd post her version. this is an adkins diet thing, and i don't know what it's called. . .

1 package of cream cheese
    a large container of whipped cream

mix both together in a bowl until the cream cheese is blended with the whipped cream (it's supposed to be lumpy, but not big chunks)

then you take:
    a medium sized container of cottage cheese
    1/2 a little container of crystal light (any flavor of course)(more or less to taste)

mix them in with the whipped cream/cream cheese mixture
    and you're done!

even before i had kids, i would eat this as a snack. i absolutly love it!

31. tatum

tatum New Member

Great Recipe!
    I am a personal trainer in Fort Worth and owner of Total Mommy Fitness. I have many of my favorite recipes posted on my website, totalmommyfitness.com as well as nutrition and fitness info.

quote:
    Originally posted by althea73:
    VEGETARIAN CHILI

Makes about 8 servings and is about 300 calories per serving, with 18g of protein.

1 medium onion, chopped fine
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 zucchini, chopped
    1 yellow squash, chopped
    1/2 green pepper, chopped
    1 can black beans, drained
    1 can pinto beans, drained
    1 can kidney beans, drained
    1 can corn, drained
    15 ounces diced tomato
    1 can tomatoes with green chilies
    3 tablespoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1/8 teaspoon cumin
    1 cup water

1. Combine onion, pepper, and garlic. Cook about 5 minutes until onion softens. Add water, zucchini, squash, chili powder, salt, sugar, cumin and mix well. Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.

2. Add diced tomato and tomatoes with green chilis, black beans, pinto beans, kidney beans,and corn. Simmer for 30 minutes.

I usually top it with some low fat sour cream and low fat cheese.

~~Patti proud mommy to
    Devin and Alexis
    born December 30th, 2002

32. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Here is the spinach pie recipe. I now use a package of reduced fat feta cheese instead of the ricotta cheese. I use less mozzarella cheese than the 8 ounces. This way half of the pie is only 6 ww points.

south beach spinach pie

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    10 ounces frozen spinach
    2 eggs
    8 ounces mozzarella cheese -- shredded
    4 tablespoons ricotta cheese, part skim milk
    garlic -- chopped

preheat oven 350

defrost spinach (cook 4 minutes)

add garlic, and cheese. Mix well

add 2 eggs (or egg beaters). mix well

pour into pie dish that has been sprayed with Pam

cook in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes

33. Jolene

Jolene Well-Known Member

Low Fat Dips

Sour Cream Dips:
    Take a 16oz tub of Fat free sour cream, mix Ranch dip mix for Ranch dip and use on your fave raw veggies.

OR
    Take 16 oz tub of Fat Free Sour Cream, mix with French onion dip mix serve with healthy veggie chips or raw veggies. [​IMG]

Low Fat Bean Dip:
    1 can fat free refried bean, 1 cup your favorite salsa and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Serve with your favorite chips or on a whole wheat tortilla for a delish bean burrito.

34. bthom

bthom Well-Known Member

My sister gave me this one, I think it is weight watchers. It is perfect for fall and is just like pumpkin pie (well, sort of).

Pumpkin "Fluff"

2 c. skim milk
    1 enevlope fat free vanilla pudding
    1 envelope fat free butterscotch pudding
    1 small can Libby's pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie mix, just canned pumpkin)
    Pumpkin Pie Spice
    Low fat whipped cream or cool whip

Mix the milk and puddings in a medium bowl with an electric hand mixer. Mix in the pumpkin, and add pumpkin pie spice to tase (I use a lot). Cover and chill in the fridge for a few hours.

To serve: top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg
    Alternative (more fat but extremely tasty, like pie!) Serve in graham cracker shells, whipped cream, and nutmeg.

This is great! My husband absolutely loves it even though he's never dieting [​IMG] I just made it again tonight.

35. LisaGoeke

Submitted by beachbabies:

-----------------------

I found these recipes on a South Beach Diet website forum and both are pretty good:

Baked Custard
    2 whole eggs or 1 whole egg and 1 egg white
    1 cup lf milk or soymilk
    3 Tbs bulk splenda
    1 tsp vanilla
    Nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350. Pour very hot water into square or rectangular baking dish large enough to hold 3 (1/2 cup) pyrex custard cups.

Blend all ingredients but nutmeg together very well. Pour into 3 custard cups. Sprinkle with nutmeg, place in hot water in pan. Bake 25-30 mins. Eat warm or chilled ( I like mine chilled, and these make a great fast breakfast or snack...also good with a little Cool Whip on top).

I figure about 80 cals per serving and pretty filling for breakfast. YOu can also add 1/2 cup part skim ricotta...gives a little more texture.

Ground Turkey and Black Bean Chili
    Serves 6

1 Tbs oil
    2 cups finely chopped red pepper
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 heaping tsp minced garlic (from jar is ok)
    4 tsp chili powder
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1.2 lbs ground turkey breast
    1 can 7 oz roasted green chilies, seeded/chopped
    2 (15 oz) cans black beans rinsed & drained
    1 (14 oz) can chicken broth (no fat, reduced sodium)
    1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes (not drained)
    2 tbs tomato paste
    3-4 chipotle chilies in adobo (optional)

Heat oil in large dutch oven over medium heat. Add pepper, onion, garlic; saute until tender about 12 mins.

Add chili powder & cumin, stir to blend. Increase heat to med high and add turkey breast, saute until no longer pink.

Add beans, broth, diced tomatoes, chopped chilies, chipotle chilies, tomato paste and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until liquid thickens, stirring occasinally, about one hour. Season with salt and pepper.

You can also use turkey tenderloins, cubed instead of ground turkey.

This is even better the next day...sauce really thickens nicely and has a great flavor.

Enjoy!