Did your newborn fail the hearing test at the hospital?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Kellyx2, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Kellyx2

Kellyx2 Well-Known Member

My new baby, Ryan, didn't pass and I'm so worried. He did hear some frequencies but not enough to pass. The nurse said that when he came out, he was covered in the white stuff, vernix? When the audiologist put the probe in his ears, there was a ton of vernix that came out. We have to go back in two weeks for a retest. The nurses told me he doesn't present like a deaf baby....usually they do not move around a lot. I'm praying and praying he is able to hear.

2. Kateryna

Kateryna Well-Known Member

Hi,

My son failed too and then three weeks later we also had to do a repeat and he passed. Sometimes they don't do it properly also. Hopefully that's the case with your baby.

Keep us posted and all the best.

3. 4kidz4me

4kidz4me Member

My dd failed twice passed on the third time.

4. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

:hug: I'm sorry! I hope he passes when you go back!

5. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: I hope he passes it when you go back.

6. h2believe

h2believe Well-Known Member

My oldest failed it twice in the hospital... the nurse tested her own ear and failed lol apparently it happens often with newborns but when they test later they are just fine, or so the nurse explained.

hope he passes the next time! keep us posted!

7. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

Abby failed hers also because the probe was too big to fit in her ears...4 weeks later she passed just fine...

8. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

One of my boys failed and then passed two weeks later. I was told it could be any number of things including amniotic fluid in the ear and whatnot. Easier said than done, but I'd try not to worry too much.

9. denzel

denzel Well-Known Member

One of my DDs failed twice in hospital so had to go for further testing and passed. My nephew was inconclusive in hospital but passed a few weeks later.

10. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

Over the last year my twins have failed all four hearing tests they had. If there is fluid present that can be a reason for failing. My boys had tubes put in their eardrums a month ago because of the fluid and can now hear just fine.

11. tpowers

tpowers Well-Known Member

One of my sons failed the 1st time in the hospital and passed before we left. They told us that it can also be debis from delivery. I would try not to worry too much. Good Luck with his new test.

12. WaterGuzzler

WaterGuzzler Well-Known Member

DS failed at the hospital and later went on to pass.

13. chellebelle

chellebelle Well-Known Member

My dd failed the first but passed the second time, the nurse said it was pretty common for a c section baby to not pass. Good luck and try not to worry!

14. mish_lewis

mish_lewis Well-Known Member

One of my little ones too failed the test in both ears at the hospital. From past experience I know that there are two tests they can typically run in the hospital for hearing, I asked them to run the more extensive test. ……this is because hearing impairment runs in my family. I started wearing hearing aids at the age of 32.
    The woman who gave the test said the many newborns fail the hospital test, that it was probably just fluid. She said to give it a few months to “dry out”…..then see the audiologist and run the test again. My pedestrian’s office did not have the equipment so they recommended a pediatric audiologist. 2-1/2 month later we had the audiologist appointment. The test was very extensive and took over an hour…..Collin had to be asleep for the test, so I fed him when I got there and he fell asleep. They ran the test while he was in the carrier. If he moved or stirred, they had to stop and wait until he settled.
    Well, he failed again, but only in his left ear and for low-tones.
    What does this mean??
    Well the audiologist told me typically when there is a hearing loss that it is the high tones that the child cannot hear. Since this was low-tones and Collin was born at 35 weeks and a twin that it was most likely fluid. She said that it can take up to 6 months sometimes to dry-up and if they catch a cold it may take even longer. She said to give it another couple of months and then have him re-tested. She said that this time it would be a much simpler test and not take as long.
    I have not had him re-tested yet…..but schedule the appointment for later this month.
    I just wanted to give you a heads up about the test, because no one told me how extensive the test was and we were in that audiologist’s office for three hours!

15. rkokinda

rkokinda Well-Known Member

Yes, one of our twins failed the first one but passed the second one.

16. tracylyn

tracylyn Active Member

My son was in the NICU for 6 weeks. When they ran the test he failed. When they did the second test he was in the pediatric unit and he passed. They told me that if the room is noisy sometimes the test doesn't work. In the NICU there were six other babies in the room, in pediatrics he was in a room alone.

We are taking him to a pediatric audiologist to follow up this month though just to make sure everything is okay. This was on recommendation from his doctors. He seems to respond to sounds just fine but they want to double check.

When he didn't pass the first one, the nurses reassured me that many babies don't pass the first time.