Did you have two cakes or two cupcakes for their first birthday?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by mindyS., Feb 5, 2009.

1. mindyS.

mindyS. New Member

My twins birthday party is coming up at the end of the month and I am not sure whether to serve them cake or cup cakes. I was curious as to what everyone else did. I am also wondering what you served the rest of the guests. Did you have a larger birthday cake for them or serve other types of desserts instead? I am so not prepared for this party. I don't even know what food I am having yet. I was so much more on the ball with my first child for his first birthday party. I feel really guilty about it.

2. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

Our party is Saturday. We are having one big cake for guests and a "smash" cake for each girl. I'm going a little overboard and making them each a pretty big smash cake... I bought some 6 inch cake pans and had planned on it being single layer but have now decided to make them each a double layer cake, lol more for looks than anything (I think a double layer cake will be prettier :p). Plus, there was enough cake batter to do this so it was either make the extra cake or throw out the batter. They're not going to eat it all either way so I figured why not? I'll post pics after the party.

3. DebDai

DebDai Well-Known Member

4. alex&andysmom

alex&andysmom Well-Known Member

We don't have a walmart super store, so we ordered from Fred Meyer, with the purchase of a 1/4 sheet they will make an 8" free cake for the kids, we are just going to cut that in 1/2, I could have got 2 free 8" but thats too much cake! Their b-day is in 2 weeks, Bring on the mess!!!! :D

5. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

My mom made each twin a small cake and then we had a sheet cake for everyone else. From their 2nd birthday on, I made cupcakes.

6. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I made a very small cake for each of them that went with the big cake. The big cake was a pair of monkeys and their little cakes were small banana shapes cut from rectangles baked in mini loaf pans. Not exactly cupcakes but still a small portion. Having big cakes for smashing and throwing out is too wasteful for my tastes.

7. littletwinstars

littletwinstars Well-Known Member

We had 2 separate cakes. Each one had their name on it and then they each had a slice of their "own" cake. The cakes were large enough to feed our guests, too. I had never heard of "smash" cakes until a year later, but I think they're also a good idea or a cupcake, too. Whatever you decide your children will love it! :)

8. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

DH gave them a practice run on their actual birthday with cupcakes. For their party that weekend we got a sheet cake for the guests and the little free smash cakes for each of them with their initial on it.

9. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

We got our cakes through a local bakery. We had a small sheet cake for the adults and then each baby got their own smash cake with their inital on it. They were small one layer cakes and the first one was free and the second one was, I think, $6. I paid less than $30 for everything.

10. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

We had a monkey theme and I made monkey cupcakes for everyone. I did 1/2 chocolate and 1/2 vanilla so people had a choice. The boys each had their own vanilla cupcake w/ chocolate frosting and it was more than enough. I was afraid of what a large amount of cake would do to them (hyper wise). With cupcakes I felt I had more control over it.

I just googled "monkey cupcakes" and found a bunch to copy. You could easily do the same thing for your theme. Here is a picture of our monkey cupcakes.

As far as food, we just did a hamburgers and hot dog w/ chips thing and it was so stressless!

11. becky5

becky5 Guest

We did hamburgers/hot dogs/macaroni salad/chips for their first bday. I had 2 small smash cakes for them, and one large cake for everyone else.

12. butterfly02

butterfly02 Well-Known Member

I made a big cake for all of the guests and then I made them each their very own smash cake. They each had so much fun with their cakes!

Have fun with the first birthday!!

13. lareesab

lareesab Well-Known Member

We had one big Elmo cake for guests and my m-i-l made the boys 2 round single layer cakes to "smash". It was a blast!!

14. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

We did both. We had a Disney Princess theme. Each twin had their own 1/4 sheet cake, Hannah -Ariel and Natalie - Belle, that we took pics with and cut up for the guests. They each had a regular cupcake to eat though. The additional cupcakes that were really a hit with the other young party guests. They just couldn't wait an extra few minutes for the cake to be cut ;)

15. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I got a sheet cake from Costco and had them decorate half of the cake for one and the other half for the other. It turned out very cute. We didnt do individual cakes.

16. beemer

beemer Well-Known Member

The boy's 1st birthday is coming up soon, too. I am planning on making a variety of cakes for the guests (though I would only be doing 1 if there were fewer people) and then individual cakes, too. Depending on your theme there are lots of smaller cake pans or cakelets. Lots of bakeries offer free small smash cakes with any 1st birthday theme, too.

17. scorpion509

scorpion509 Well-Known Member

I did 1st birthday cake for my friend's nephew ( meaning only one boy)
    but I combine 2 cakes one for kids the ball. it was just vanilla buiscuit with cream
    the bottom one ( field) for guest i put nuts into the layers and alittle rom for moisture
    http://lh4.ggpht.com/_E5sB0AMGSr4/SXkqdt4I...40/P1050563.JPG

18. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

our local grocery store (safeway) give a free cake for 1st birthdays so we got 2 free cakes (1 each for the kids) and I bought one for the adult so the babies could dig in to their own cake. They each had about 1 or 2 bites and we threw the rest out. They did enjoy playing with it though.

scorpion509!!!! WOW Awesome cake. My dd would LOVE that!!! Do you have a rou nd pan? How'd you do that??

19. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

Cupcakes for the girls, cake for everyone else.

20. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We did cupcakes for the babies and a cake for everyone else. They loved the cupcakes!!!