did/do your babies slow down on weight gain after 4 months?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by w101ttd, Sep 10, 2010.

1. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

My twins used to gain like 2- 2.5lbs/months. But since 4 month check up, they only gained like 1lb and some oz.all sudden, they lost appetie. I think they are teething but not 100%. They became nipple biters at feeding.I try to feed them like at least 24oz/day.but I think its not enough becuase they are more active and play more now. Did/do you experience this? Will they have their appetite back?I'm so worried

2. teamturner

teamturner Well-Known Member

How is their general demeanor? I'm in the same boat with one of my girls. The doc thinks it's teething, and I sure hope that's all it is. It's VERY stressful. Coupled with reflux and distraction, it feels like a full time job just to feed her! Work with your pediatrician to monitor weight and hydration. Good luck - fingers crossed for both of us that it is just teething and that everything settles soon.

3. dra1408

dra1408 Well-Known Member

I have the same problem with one of my girls. She went from eating 24-28oz a day to 15-20oz a day. I believe that it is a combo of reflux and teething. I am now spoon feeding cereal and purees, because it helps with weight gain and she would rather eat them than her bottle sometimes. I used to worry about spoon feeding so early, but now I just want food in her, I don't care what it is. She is not gaining as well as her sis, but my ped said he is not worried yet. She is gaining, it's just slowed down. My ped agrees that as long as she is getting food, he doesn't care if some of it comes from cereal and purees.

4. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

ours did have weight gains slow down after about 4 months too. we breastfed and our doc wasn't worried b/c everything seemed on track. their curve did go from 10% in the beginning up to 50% by 4 months then just kept going down... 25% by 9 mo and 10% by 12 mo... they went a little lower at 15 mo. then finally have stabilized at 20% for ds and 10% for dd. their just skinny.

5. w101ttd

Yeah my twins keep getting longer and longer but still not gaining weight. They gain like 3-4oz/week the lose it.I'm so worried but couple moms told me babies have their growing cycles. They grow big, then grow long. And they keep repeating the cycles over and over again.I hope its true. My twins used to be 50%, now they kindda drop down below already. My girl still can eat a lot. I even feed them at night. But still she doesn't gain weight.its like they all pee and poop out all the food. Its so depressing. Thanks ladies

6. mandywellman

mandywellman Well-Known Member

one of my girls seems to not like to eat either. I off 5 bottles with 6.5 ounces becayse that is waht her sister eats. but its like a full time job trying to feed her, i think she is just going to be petite. but it is ver stressfull because i know she needs nutrients so it is very srtessful when i have to make her eat atleast 5 oz each bottles so she will get about 30 a day. but she likes to only eat about 20 a day, and my ped says she needs 28-32. both my gilrs did start to slow down in weight gain as well after 4 monhts,. i believe thye are supposed to.

(
    not sure if you BM or formula. (i use expressed BM only)BUt my ped. suggested to me to add 2 oz of formula mixed into my BM (without the water)so she gets the exra caories. I have not tried it yet, we go for weight checks every two weeks, so if she has not gained by this next weight check im going to add the power fomula to my BM, do not want to but if it will help her gain i guess i have too.

maybe you can try that(kinds like hidden calories) ha!

gooooooooood luck

7. w101ttd

Your kids eat way more than mine. Mine never eat 30oz. They have ebm and some formula if I don't have enough.our pedi said 24oz is enough for them. Yeah I heard many pedis said 28-30. My kids eat between 24-27oz only. They are 16.5 and 15.5lbs. How about your kids? We had docs approval for solid. But I just add rice cereal in their bottles. They were 8 weeks premature so I don't wanna rush to solid if we don't need to.yes feeding my son is a full time job. Sometimes I got so mad that he doesn't eat but has full energy to play. I just sit there watch him burning all the cals without intaking some in.I'm trying cereal if he still not gain weight, I will do formula.thanks!