Did anyone else have one yolk sac at an early ultrasound and have mo/di twins diagnosed later on?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Roxygirl1488, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Roxygirl1488

Roxygirl1488 Member

Trying not to worry here! Need some reassurance! I had an ultrasound at 7 weeks 3 days, doc said babies looked fine but they could either be mo/di or mo/mo but its to early to tell and told me to come back at 12 weeks and I should know. I am not positive but I think there was only one yolk sac. After reading about mo/mo twins I got freaked out and called my nurse and she talked to the sonographer who did my ultrasound who said she thinks she saw two amniotic sacs but isnt sure and told me not to worry. I cant help worring though, I'm just hoping someone else may have seen one yolk sac at 7 weeks or so and then later at their next scan found out they were mo/di. Thanks for your time!

2. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

Hey Roxy,
    Try not to worry YET. Until you know for sure-- it's best not to begin worrying. Even if they are mo mo, you can still have a healthy outcome.

If there is indeed one yolk sac then they are mo mo twins. If there are two, chances are GREAT that there will be a dividing membrane.

Wait until you know for sure and then go from there. It will all work out, I am sure :)

Congratulations!!

3. cmccarthy

cmccarthy Well-Known Member

I agree, hang in there until you know for sure!
    Even if they are mo/mo, things most likely will work out great.
    Hugs!

4. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

Definitely try not to worry (easier said than done I know) but mo/mo twins are very rare. If you end up with that diagnosis, there are many success stories out there! Good luck and keep us posted!

5. kryscline

kryscline Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your twin pregnancy. Sometimes the dividing membrane is found later, even as far along as 20 weeks or so. Try not to worry too much about, just make sure you get a lot of attention (u/s, etc.). :blink:

6. tfrost

tfrost Well-Known Member

We had the same experience until our 12 week ultrasound. There was only one yolk sac present in all of our early ultrasounds until our 8 week ultrasound and they saw twins, but told us they were probably mono/mono. That scared us because they could not see a membrane at all. But at our 12 week ultrasound, the perinatologist finally saw a thin little membrane and told us were had mono/di twins. In a good number of cases, it's just too early to tell anything from an ultrasound until at least 12 weeks. Good luck and keep us posted!