Diaper rash?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by JoellePotter, Oct 12, 2010.

1. JoellePotter

JoellePotter Well-Known Member

Wyatt started getting a diaper rash about a week ago, so I started putting some A&D on it which is what always works for us. It's just continually gotten worse over the course of the week, with about a day in the middle where it looked like it was getting better. It's really nasty looking. What started off not looking so bad, now looks like two HUGE blisters popped and have blisters within blisters (some filled w/ almost a clear fluid). There's some areas where it's gotten raw (just last night) and actually bled. We normally cloth diaper and when this started, I put him in some disposables with the A&D on so it didn't get on his cloth diapers. Last night I decided I'd put him in a cloth diaper for the night time so that he didn't pee out of the disposable like they always do. That's when I really noticed the blood from the rash/blisters because it's on our cloth diapers now, no big deal, I'm more worried about him. They've never had a rash this bad. And not only that, Riley this morning now has one big almost clear fluid filled like blister.

I called the doctors and because the doctor is apparently on jury duty they can't make any appointments. I was going to try and get them in today, especially Wyatt, but can't now. I'm supposed to call back in the morning to try and get an appointment for tomorrow. I don't have a choice of where we take them because it's military insurance so I can't just call up another doctor. Our only other option is the ER, which I think it could wait until tomorrow.

Anyone else had a baby with this bad of a rash??

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Poor little guys and poor Momma :hug: My kids did not have a rash that bad but something that might help (it did help my kids) was milk of magnesia with petroleum jelly. I hope you can be seen by the doctor ASAP tomorrow. They might have to prescribe something. Please keep us posted with how you make out!

3. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

I do a 50/50 mix of desitin original (the 40%) and eucerin. Mix them together and slather it on. It was the only thing that worked when their behinds got that bad.

4. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

:hug: We have never had *that* bad of diaper rash. I hope you can get in asap tomorrow.
    Do you know WHY it is happening? When I worked (2days/wk) my mom would have the twins. Well, they'd have diaper rashes after their two days with her. Detective work: She was giving them juice. :headbang: So, what are they eating/drinking that could be causing this?? Just a thought. ...trying to help. Preventative measures are so helpful IF you know the cause.

5. bbyboo1323

bbyboo1323 Well-Known Member

DS just had this 2 weeks ago. He had several teething type poops (acidy, watery, yucky smelling - gets them everytime hes teething) well it "burnt" his rear. It took a week to clear up and even now almost 2 weeks later its still red.

I just used SensiCare Cream http://www.allegromedical.com/skin-care-c535/sensi-care-protective-barrier-p552068.html which was given to us in the NICU when they had a slight rash. That basically protected any pee or poop that may get on it.

A & D I use every diaper change but not when they have a rash. I would try airing him out every few diaper chages for 15 or 20 min. Yes I dealt with pee in the floor, rug, etc but it helped his butt. I also bathed more often and the bath seemed to help in warm water and pat dry his butt. I also didnt use wipes unless I HAD to ex: poop. and even then i patted NEVER wiped.

Now, I have been putting the Walmart brand of Destin orignal (purple and white tube) on him and its clearing right up. DD had one that bled too one time and I did the same for her. AIR AIR AIR!! Also try changing their diaper more frequently even if its just a small amount of fluid in it.

Also tracking what they ate could have lead to the initial rash but now its figuring out how to improve it! Good luck Mama, they are NO Fun!!!

I had tried Greers Goo that the dr gave me when they had a yeast looking rash, that didnt help this rash at all!

6. Gigantor

Gigantor Well-Known Member

Until you get to see the doctor here is my "home remedy".

Make strong chamomile tea, soak diaper in it. Put on babies - once it's not hot anymore - and leave them in there for 1/2 hour.

And this is what I use for diaper rash.

Changing diaper more often is a good idea, also. Just for the time being.

Best of luck to you!

7. lawilliams77

lawilliams77 Well-Known Member

might need an antibiotic cream, could be impetigo, doesn't sound quite like a staph infection, definately sounds like it needs a look by the Dr. just to be sure.

8. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It could be a yeast rash too, mine have had a couple, we had to use nystatin cream from the dr, then a layer of diaper cream, and a layer of baby powder (cornstarch), after every diaper change, and it cleared up in a couple of days. Oatmeal baths helped too, fill an old stocking or sock with a cup or two of regular oatmeal, tie shut and toss in the tub. Squeeze the juice out so it turns the water milky/cloudy looking. It helps with rashes or other itchy things. :hug:

1 person likes this.
  9. jaclynkoehl

jaclynkoehl Well-Known Member

Poor kiddos! We've had some bad rashes but never blisters. As for cleaning them up while they have the rash I used an old dish soap bottle with either just water or if the situation really needed it I would add a little mild baby soap. Then I would just pat their bottoms dry and let them play naked in their cribs for a while to dry. It was easy to clean up since I have the mattresses covered in plastic and also have an soak up pad under the sheet. They seemed to get a kick out of getting to play naked in their bed.

My DD still gets a bit of a yeast rash sometimes and our pedi told us to just get clotrimazole (brand name Lotrimin but we just get the drug store brand) from the drug store rather than getting an Rx for the nystatin each time.

10. jaclynkoehl

jaclynkoehl Well-Known Member

Oh, forgot to also mention that my friend used puppy pads when she needed to air dry behinds. I guess I never felt right doing that but I suppose it works!