Diaper rash tricks

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Jessalt, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Jessalt

Jessalt Member

My twins are 5 1/2 month and one has an awful diaper rash. I do washable diapers, so 3 days ago I started just using disposables. I use Butt Paste which seems to me to be good stuff. The past 2 days I've washed her in the sink every changing. But it isn't getting any better. I washed all her diapers in hot water and once with bleach, so I'm going back to those today to see if that helps. Her older sister would only get diaper rashes when she was teething and not very bad.
    Does anyone have more ideas for me to try?

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Aquaphor. When my kids had really bad rashes, within one diaper change it was tons better!!

3. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

When my boys got it really bad, I used plain ole Vaseline, works like a charm.

4. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

Calmoseptine. Awesome stuff. You have to order it though. Starts working in one diaper change. If it doesn't improve you might call the doctor's office. It may be bacterial or fungal.

5. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was also thinking bacterial or fungal. Also, lots of diaper free time will help. If you can't let her air dry, make sure her bum is completely dry before adding cream & re-diapering. And if you're breast feeding or pumping, breast milk can also work wonders. Spread some breast milk on the rash, let it air dry, then regular cream & diaper.

6. ward

ward Well-Known Member

butt paste has always worked for my babies thank goodness but my sister has to use baby powder on her son because cream based items don't work for him

7. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

I use a combo of desitin and aquaphor. I agree that it may be a fungal rash. For that, I use lotrimin and it clears it up quick.

8. lilybay

lilybay Well-Known Member

Plain ol' cornstarch has been the best at clearing up any diaper rash my boys have had. I did use Lotrimin a couple times with a "yeasty" rash, per my pedi's recommendation.

9. Jessalt

Jessalt Member

Thanks all for the suggestions! I know we'll find something that works. A lot of airing out time today and I only got peed on twice:)

10. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

It's so cool that you do cloth!! Maybe it's the detergent? Organic extra virgin coconut oil on the rash. If it's swollen or puffy looking it's probably yeasty. Besides for anti fungal cream if you go to the doc, you can try giving them probiotics to build up healthy flora and fauna :). A friend of mine swears by using a hair dryer on the low setting to get them really dry after a diaper change. I like burt's bees paste, it goes on really thick. (warning it smells TERRIBLE in the morning mixed with a full pee diaper). Frequent diaper changes. I think that's all my tips :)