Diaper Bag Question?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by frain2005, Nov 21, 2006.

1. frain2005

frain2005 Well-Known Member

Ok when my twins were little, I could just take water and powdered formula, and there was no need to keep anything cold. Now they are over 1 year, and on sippy cups, and whole milk. I now have to keep everything cold.

With my first DD, I would just buy milk or whatever while I was out to put in her cup. But with 2 it is starting to really add up when I have gallons of milk already at home...KWIM?

My question is...

Does anyone know of a diaperbag that has a build in bottle cooler? And, Where did you get it? It is such a pain in the butt, to take and carry a large diaperbag, and a bag to keep their sippy cups cold.

BTW...before anyone suggests taking a smaller diaperbag, that isn't an option. I use everything that I have in my diaperbag, and a smaller on will not work.

Thanks in Advance to all who respond!

2. frain2005

Ok when my twins were little, I could just take water and powdered formula, and there was no need to keep anything cold. Now they are over 1 year, and on sippy cups, and whole milk. I now have to keep everything cold.

With my first DD, I would just buy milk or whatever while I was out to put in her cup. But with 2 it is starting to really add up when I have gallons of milk already at home...KWIM?

My question is...

Does anyone know of a diaperbag that has a build in bottle cooler? And, Where did you get it? It is such a pain in the butt, to take and carry a large diaperbag, and a bag to keep their sippy cups cold.

BTW...before anyone suggests taking a smaller diaperbag, that isn't an option. I use everything that I have in my diaperbag, and a smaller on will not work.

Thanks in Advance to all who respond!

3. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

If we were out and about (at that age) I would just bring water/juice for them to drink if they got thirsty and save the milk for when we were at home to eliminate bringing it with us. Or, if we were going out to dinner, I would get milk at the restaurant to put into their sippies. If we were out for a long time, I would just stop at the gas station and pick up a individual serviing of milk to give to them. Don't' stress about it!

4. newmomma

newmomma Well-Known Member

I am on a quest for this bag also. The best I have found is the baby innovations one at BRU. It has a silver insulated compartment for drinks. My only concern is whether or not it will hold two cups so I have not bought it yet. It does not have a space for an ice pack though.

Good luck and let me know if you find anything better. I think some people like the one at one-step ahead.

Laurie

5. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

Unless we are specifically going out for a meal (or during mealtime which is rare), I bring sippys of a splash of juice and water. Milk spoils after about 20 minutes at room temp. [​IMG]

6. Tivanni

Tivanni Well-Known Member

I used a large Hampton Coach bag similar to this diaper bag that had two side pockets which fit one tall insulated sippy cup (without handles) in each. I bought these Hello Kitty cozie to help keep it cold and it worked well.

Bag is large enough to carry everything so I only had one bag to carry.

I used ebay to find the pics quickly but I'm not endorsing the seller. I did buy the cozies on ebay though!

Sharon [​IMG]

7. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

Oh wow I love the bottle (sippy cup) cozie idea!!!

And OMG that coach diaper bag is smaller than my large eddie bauer and 5 timest he cost [​IMG]

8. blessedby2

blessedby2 Well-Known Member

I sometimes fall into this dilemma when my kids aren't happy with water while we are out. So, my MIL suggested bringing a small thermos filled with milk. She has an 8 oz one that she gave to me to use. So next time we are out and it is around dinner/snack time, I'll use the thermos to fill up with milk, and use the sippys I carry in my diaper bag.

9. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

How often do yours have milk? We only have it at breakfast and before bed. If we are out for breakfast, I just order milk and put it in their sippies. Other times, I take sippies of water.
    I used to use that Similac bag that came free from the hospital to keep prepared bottles of formula cold. They just got cold formula if we were out.
    Someone suggested a thermos, that's probably a good idea if you really need to have milk available.

10. Jill R.

Jill R. Well-Known Member

I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but I saw some cool cups at Walmart today. They're sippy cups that have gel stuff built into the sides, and you put them in the freezer overnight and they'll keep the milk cold. I didn't look at them closely to see how long they'll stay cold, but it might be something for you to look into.

11. Disney747

Disney747 Well-Known Member

I use the insulated sippies. If I am going to be out for awhile and need to bring milk I will add some icecubes to the milk to help keep it cold.

12. micheleinohio

micheleinohio Well-Known Member

I wish I could find it again but I found some Hershey's Ultra Pasterized milk that didn't need refridgerated in small boxes. I bought out the entire supply since it had a long shelf life. I'm about running out. My Matthew does love milk when we are out and it is a little bit of a pain to throw in the small bottle bag I have with an ice pack.

I had a few free ones that came with diaper bags they were giving away at a baby fair. This is what I throw in my larger bag when I need to keep milk cool.

13. Angelasbabes

Angelasbabes Well-Known Member

The boys are HUGE milk drinkers and ALWAYS need their sippy when we're out. They'll only drink a small amount of juice and water, and it isn't going to fly when we're out and missing snack time or something of that nature.

I know you wanted one bag, but we just bought a taller cooler and put both cups with ice packs inside. We use it when we go to church, and leave it in the van then it's ready when we're done, or when we're out shopping. That way we don't have to carry it all with us. I usually don't carry a diaper bag. I can't believe the difference between that first and 2nd births! LOL

14. Thumper

Thumper Well-Known Member

When we used the large diaper bag (i.e. backpack) I had a small insulated lunch-sack that we'd keep inside the big bag with the bottles and a couple of blue-ice packs. It worked ok, although the backpack itself had a tendency to tip, and our Doc Browns would leak. [​IMG]

Hope that helps!

--> Andy

15. frain2005

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Someone asked how much milk they drink? They are getting pedisure for their lack of growth. The only way they will drink it is if I mix it with milk. Which in turn has to stay cold. There are some days we are out all day. Which is why I am looking for this particular kind of Diaper bag...UGGGG! I hate when you are looking for something and can't find it....LOL! I am watching a few on Ebay, so hopefully I will have some luck there.

Thanks again to all who responded!!!

16. TwinMom205

TwinMom205 Well-Known Member

Mine get water. They only get milk at breakfast, nap, and bedtime.

17. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by frain2005:
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Someone asked how much milk they drink? They are getting pedisure for their lack of growth. The only way they will drink it is if I mix it with milk. Which in turn has to stay cold.

Ah, gotcha! Sorry, didn't mean to sound nosy. Just I was thinking the same thing before we switched from formula to milk, and were still on like 3-4 bottles a day, not realizing that it ended up going down to twice a day and not being an issue.

18. Moms2NTwins

Moms2NTwins Well-Known Member

I try to avoid milk with these 2 if we are going to be gone a few hours they do fine with no milk, I take juice usually. If we will be gone most of the day I take the cold pouch that came with the hospital diaper bag and fill 2 bottles and put them in there with an ice pack then carry the sippy cups with us.