di-di twin mamas -- were/are any of you scared of going past 38 weeks?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by wvtwinmama, Jun 5, 2012.

1. wvtwinmama

wvtwinmama Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Well, after starting bed rest at 23 weeks for threatened pre-term labor, I'm thrilled (and shocked!) to find myself at 38 weeks today. But I'm also starting to get scared. My OB said there is no reason to talk about inducing, as both babies are growing well and look healthy (as of last week, Baby A was estimated to be 6 lbs 9 oz, and Baby B was estimated to be 6 lbs 11 oz). Both babies are head down, so we're not planning on a c-section (though I know anything can happen). And the twins are di-di. But I've read on here so many times that other women's doctors "wouldn't let them" go past 37 weeks, and so I'm worried. I think I'm being well monitored; I started seeing my doc twice a week at 35 weeks, and have weekly NSTs and weekly growth ultrasounds (though not BPPs). My doctor said the risks of problems with going full term are present in mo-mo or mo-di twins, not di-di twins. I'm huge and totally uncomfortable, but willing to keep powering through if it's good for the babies. I'm also hopeful labor will start on its own soon, as I'm 75-80% effaced and 1-2 cm dilated, but I'm not actively contracting at this point.

So, if you went past 38 weeks, were you worried? What were your doctor's thoughts on this topic? Would you insist on being induced before 40 weeks?

Thanks!!!!!

2. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

My twins were breech and transverse. My girls were c section babies at 38 because my baby A had a low fluid level and some other issues ( which turned out to be nothing she was/ is fine). Had we not had those issues, and I was being monitored closely, no I would not insist on being induced before 40 weeks. Now at 40 if they still had not come and the word induce was used by my OB I would have jumped on it because I was SO excited (and uncomfortable)LOL!!!! But it would have been that way with all 5 of my pregnancies LOL!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If you are being monitored well I wouldn't worry too much about it. Had I realized my boys were di/di and unlikely to develop those complications I would have relaxed a bit, too. I had a scheduled c/s for a breech A, too but my water broke at 37w5d. I did have babies who were 'near term' although completely healthy were also small little babies who were immature in comparison to my singleton born at 40 weeks.

4. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I went to 39 weeks and 1 day. My doctor had just started even considering induction the day before and that was only because of how uncomfortable I was and the fact that we were coming up on a holiday weekend. She was afraid that if I went into labor and she wasn't available I would end up with a c-section, even though they were di/di and both head down. I went into labor naturally that night and had 2 healthy girls (no c-section) - a little smaller than their estimated weights from the u/s but still both over 6 pounds. Basically, my doctor had been doing weekly NSTs and said that because they were both doing extremely well on that and the BPP there was no reason to induce.

So basically, I was a little worried from what I had been reading but since the girls were being monitored closely and my doctor didn't seem concerned (actually seemed happy), I went with natural labor. I'm glad I did it but I know that last few weeks are insanely tough on the body.

5. ohd1974

ohd1974 Well-Known Member

I was 38weeks, 5 days. C-section. No problems.

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The thing to keep in mind is that you aren't comparing a risky option (continuing the pregnancy) with a non-risky option (elective induction). Both options have risks and both options have benefits. If you are really concerned about continuing your pregnancy past 38 weeks, I think it would be a good idea to have a heart to heart with your care provider. Get really specific. What are the benefits to both options? What are the risks to both options? Ask for the numbers & stats - the actual studies if you like reading them yourself. And then decide which set of risks & benefits are preferable to you & do that. :hug:

Also, :yahoo: on 80% effaced & 1 - 2 cm dilated! Even though you aren't feeling those contractions, that's all work that your body's done that is now behind you & that you won't have to do once you do go into active labor. :)

Congrats on 38 weeks! :good:

1 person likes this.
  7. yesipiquet

yesipiquet Member

I had my first set at 39 weeks and 5 days, after I begged my dr to induce me. I was on pitocin for 12 hours before I had them naturally. Then the second set I was 38 weeks and like 2 or 3 days. Also had to induce, but I wasn't progressing so they ended up doing a Csection after 24 hours of nothing. They are both fraternal sets. So I wouldn't be worried. Trust your doctor. The first set weighed 7.6 oz and 6.13oz... the second was 6.11 and 6.13oz. So far this set now is measuring big for their age, so we'll see how much they come out weighing. Healthy big babies, a good thing but oh, the things they do to poor mom!
    Wish you all the luck!

Yesika