Development or Environment?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ECUBitzy, Sep 25, 2013.

1. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Our girls are at a private preschool full-time for the first time this year. In years past, they've been in different combinations of nanny, grandma, and part-time daycare (last year).

The school they're at had a strong educational emphasis, which I'm excited by (and seeing results from!). They've transitioned to full-time absolutely beautifully. They love school.

My question is, are these (positive!) changes just age-appropriate development or are they the result of being in a better environment? I'm feeling twinges of guilt thinking that it's the latter.

But the girls really are thriving. They're happier, take direction better, are constantly identifying colors, letters, and numbers (like constantly- don't try to talk to your spouse in the car!). It's blown me away what a developmental growth spurt they've had in a month!

2. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

I would say development and environment.  And I would not beat yourself up over the environment.  They are rapidly learning because they have had a strong foundation and therefore they are ready to learn.  So really its a compliment to how they have been cared for since birth.  They are now being exposed to new material and with their background they will excel. 

I really had to question my decision regarding my two boys attending school just 3 days a week this year.  I was told by their school that they were bored and needed to be challenged more and should be full time.  For two days I was really upset over it.  Then I realized that #1 they are very well behaved at school and intelligent so of course the school wants them full time.  In addition they do so well not only because of the school but because of the environment I provide for them at home. 

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

A lot of it is 3-4 year old development.  Remember, environment is just a tool to help the development along.

4. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I understand the thought process here. My boys thrive at daycare/Montessori and they are learning SO much. I think part of it is the structure that daycare provides them, but part of it is just that they're 4 and they were ready for some kind of preschool option. But it's hard not to beat myself up that I was not capable of getting them to the point where they are right now. I try to look more of it as a pat on the back that I had the good sense to recognize when they needed more and I got it for them. ;)

5. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

Contrary to what most Americans believe, how early you start structured education has very little to do with how much you will learn.  Studies show that countries who's children start school later catch-up academically within just a few years.  
    Your girls are thriving because they are emotionally and mentally ready.. sounds to me like you timed it perfectly!

1 person likes this.
  6. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think what was a struggle for me mostly wasn't so much the academic part but how well behaved they were and what they were capable of that I just could not have achieved. Instead we were constantly struggling and whining at home and generally a mess. Their school really stresses personal responsibility and they have done a complete turnaround. Now they get themselves dressed, clean up after their breakfast plates, clean up their toys.. if I tried to get them to do any single one of these things it was an all day battle. Daycare is totally a better parent than me.

7. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It's what everyone said - it's time, they are ready.

Just look forward, and enjoy this renaissance - because, well, four is rough :)

And let me tell you, six year old girls - DRAMA!

1 person likes this.
  8. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone - you laid great foundations at home and now they are ready for the new experience and thriving in it.

Jen, if you had not been doing all the hard work before on behaviour they would not be so well-behaved snd responsive to the new rules at school. What you practise at home does bear fruits - even if mom is not always the person to enjoy those fruits. Trust me - we have a few kids with pretty difficult behaviour in DD's class but when I see how the kids treat their parents at drop-off or pick-up time and how the parents make no efforts at disciplining the kids, I know why they are disruptive at school. The home and the parents build the foundations for discipline, following rules, living in a group and finding a healthy way of respecting authority.