determining/modifying baby positions

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by paperclippy, Apr 10, 2013.

1. paperclippy

paperclippy Well-Known Member

Okay, so I'm 28w5d, and I'm really hoping to end up with both these babies head down so I can have a vaginal delivery. I know I've still got a little bit of time before they settle into final positions. At my last ultrasound (week and a half ago, next one is tomorrow) both babies were head down with their backs to my right side. However, the past few days it almost feels like they're just laying completely sideways or something. Basically I have a big hard lump that extends from about 2-3 inches left of my belly button all the way to my right side, and is about 4 inches wide at the narrowest part (left of belly button) and maybe 10-12 inches wide at the widest part (halfway on right side). Most of the movements I've been feeling have been on my left side or at the bottom of my belly, so I'm pretty sure that this giant lump is one or more baby backs/heads. I can't differentiate any shapes in it, though I do occasionally get some movements from the lumpy area.

So my question is: does this mean one or both of the babies are transverse? How can I get them to move? Should I even try to get them to move? The giant lump is pretty uncomfortable and I keep getting concerned about whether I'm feeling enough movement or not, but every time I've gone in to get checked in similar situations the babies have been fine and the reason I didn't feel as much is either both babies are kicking the same spot or one of them is kicking inward where I can't feel it.

2. Panda22410

Panda22410 Member

With my single pregnancy my daughter was breech. I tried going to a chiropractor to see if they could get her to turn. It didn't work out but it might for you.

3. jennycraig

jennycraig Active Member

I had identical twin girls 7 weeks ago and throughout the end of the pregnancy Baby A was always head down and Baby B was breech. When I was hospitalized at 34 weeks Hannah (baby B) flipped to head down during an ultrasound. When I went into labor at 35 weeks she was still head down when they did an ultrasound. They also did an ultrasound after I had Gabrielle (baby A) and she was head down. A few minutes later when she was born she was born breech. She had flipped while coming down. The doctor said it sometimes happens like that because baby B has so much room. My doctor had always told me as long as baby A was head down and baby B wasn't more than 10% larger than baby A they would deliver vaginally. Hope this helps some! They were both healthy and were in the NICU for 2 weeks to grow and learn to eat. Good luck with the end of your pregnancy and delivery.

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Babies can flip in labor and some babies won't get into position *until* then. You've definitely got lots of time! That being said, there are things you can do starting now to encourage babies into optimal birthing position. The first is regular chiropractic care. They can align your pelvis which in turn keeps your uterus from torking or twisting and gives babies as much room as possible to be in a good position. It can also help with a lot of the aches and pains that come along with pregnancy. Second is to check out www.spinningbabies.com - tons of great information and tips and ideas to help optimize positioning. Another option is to look into the Miles Circuit: http://www.milescircuit.com/index.html HTH!

5. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I always say that there is never a "final" position until they are born. My baby b flipped several times after my 32 week appointment. The last time she flipped was after my 38 week u/s. I wish I could tell you when but I didn't feel it, unlike the previous flips. I just know that at 38 she was breech and at 39 she was vertex.

I guess my point is that if you want to try to get them to flip now, I would do it more for your comfort than anything else.

6. Krystine

Krystine Well-Known Member

My last appt my doctor said he was delivering twins who were both head down but after Baby A was delivered Baby B moved to transverse and they did a version and delivered breech. It all makes me nervous but I am also hoping for a vaginal birth.

7. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

My Baby B was breech, head down, breech and finally transverse.

8. paperclippy

paperclippy Well-Known Member

Thanks! FWIW at today's ultrasound I learned that the lumps I've been feeling are actually butts, and that both of them are still head-down. Hopefully they'll stay that way! Apparently baby A's head is on the left and butt is on the right, and baby B's head is on the right and butt is on the left.