Determining gender through u/s

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by ellaila, Jul 24, 2007.

1. ellaila

ellaila Well-Known Member

I had an amnio last Friday, and we found out from the u/s that we're having one boy and one girl! YAY!!! :yahoo: I was 16w2d at the time, and though two different u/s techs saw a boy and a girl (the boy was clearly a boy; the first tech thought the other was a girl and the second tech said she saw labia so she was pretty confident), I'm still not believing it 100% until we get the amnio results back! Not that I wouldn't be happy with two boys, of course, but I would really hate for our girl to "become" a boy after we were told she was a girl!

So how accurate are 16-week u/s for determining gender, any ideas? And for those of you that got determined through u/s at or around that stage, were the genders right??

Thanks!

2. AshleyLD

AshleyLD Well-Known Member

I would wait just to make sure. At my 18 week U/S they were b/g and have been the whole time. I was just worried that they would find another baby....

3. 2betterthan1

2betterthan1 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(AshleyLD @ Jul 24 2007, 05:57 PM) [snapback]343220[/snapback]
    I was just worried that they would find another baby....

My biggest fear!!!

I also would wait for the amnio results....but to be fair boys almost always stay boys....unless the umbilical cord was between the legs....that happened to a friend... but if they saw a labia, then I wouldfeel pretty confident that its a girl....

Good Luck!! and let us know as soon as you know!!!
    Shannon

4. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

16 weeks is when they guess on mine and they were RIGHT!!! Confirmed via Amnio as well!!

Congratulations!!! :a_smil09: :banana:

5. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

Hi,

We found out at 14w 3d that they were b/g. She clearly saw boy parts and girl parts. She was very confident, otherwise she said she would not say until she knew. DH and MIL were in last Friday's ultrasound at 22 weeks and since this is the first time DH has made it to the maternal-fetal diagnostic u/s (has been traveling out of town a lot this summer), the tech made sure to show them the babies' parts. I think she wanted to make is exciting for them. Sure enough still b/g :).

Sounds like you should be pretty confident. Let us know if it changes!

6. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

they couldn't tell at my 16w u/s - I actually had to wait until 21 w and we found out it was b/g and it stayed that way...I didn't have an amnio

7. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

My u/s was right on for my first dd at 12 weeks!! With the twins they wouldn't even guess until 15 weeks and they were 100% confident that it was b/g...and they were. This time around the tech guessed that it was a boy at 12 weeks...and it's a girl!

8. MSB1203

MSB1203 Well-Known Member

I was about 19 or 20 weeks, and the u/s tech said for sure one girl and almost sure another girl...she said not to go out and buy all pink, but at every u/s following she couldn't tell...they were both girls :)

9. xavier2001

xavier2001 Well-Known Member

We were told at 16 weeks that they thought they were b/g twins, and confirmed at 20 weeks. I asked again at our 28 week u/s and so far, they still appear to be b/g.

10. AshleyLD

AshleyLD Well-Known Member

I wanted to add.. My friend though she was having b/b twins at 14 w.. then after they were surprized to find out that they were girls!!!

11. ksugal

ksugal Well-Known Member

First sono at 16 weeks showed 2 boys and that was right!

12. MommyofThreeBoys

MommyofThreeBoys Well-Known Member

I found out at 17 weeks exactly and they were 100% accurate with boys

13. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I was told two girls around 18 weeks and....VOILA - two girls!! :)

14. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

I found out at 14 weeks...really early. But accurate.

15. ellaila

Thanks, everyone! I feel better now :lol:

16. Cynthia3200

Cynthia3200 Well-Known Member

How exciting!! I have my 16 wk u/s next week and I'm hoping to know. Right now, they have guessed one is a girl but couldn't get a good look at the other baby.

17. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

QUOTE(pamelastwins @ Jul 24 2007, 11:09 PM) [snapback]343268[/snapback]
    Hi,

We found out at 14w 3d that they were b/g. She clearly saw boy parts and girl parts. She was very confident, otherwise she said she would not say until she knew. DH and MIL were in last Friday's ultrasound at 22 weeks and since this is the first time DH has made it to the maternal-fetal diagnostic u/s (has been traveling out of town a lot this summer), the tech made sure to show them the babies' parts. I think she wanted to make it exciting for them. Sure enough still b/g :).

Sounds like you should be pretty confident. Let us know if it changes!

18. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

At 13w we were told that the tech thought baby B was a boy because he looked a little thick between the legs. She was right. At my 17w3d u/s it was confirmed Baby A was a girl and Baby B was a boy.

Although I did ask to have it confirmed again at my 20w u/s. :blush:

19. ellaila

An update: had my 18-week appt. today and thankfully the amnio results came back just before my appt, and ... two healthy babies!!! Whoo hoooo!!! :banana:

And the u/s technicians were right -- one boy and one girl!!

Needless to say, it was a great -- and very emotional! -- appt!!

20. Stephanie1074

Stephanie1074 Well-Known Member

Well, with my first pregnancy I didn't even consider the possibility that they could be wrong. The ultrasound was pretty clear and I knew in my heart that it was a girl... And it was!

This time around I asked the tech at my appointment about accuracy. Her answer was that the reason thast there can be inaccuracy is because many techs don't want to disapoint expectant parents and say they cant tell... She said that her philosophy was that if she couldn't get a picture for us to see she wouldn't tell us one way or another. She was able to get both an we are having 2 boys... I am pretty confident that this is the case since I could see all the parts! :p However, I still wonder if since there are 2 she could have looked at the same baby twice... Just a 1% doubt I am pretty sure there are 2 boys!

Honestly I was hoping for one of each since then we wouldn't have to worry about the identical vs. fraternal thing! Oh well, I guess we will just have to wait and see. ;)

21. Debbie F

Debbie F Well-Known Member

I would wait - at my 21 week u/s with my first, they told me girl!!! Instead of delivering a Samantha, we delivered a Zachary instead!!