dealing with overtired state

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by dezmitch, Dec 8, 2008.

1. dezmitch

dezmitch Well-Known Member

How do you calm your twins down to take a nap if you've already entered the overtired state? This is why we were using our swings because they would calm down and nap....when I'm home alone I can't rock both at the same time. Suggestions? My pedi said to let them cry for an hour in their crib, if they don't sleep then they will sleep better the next nap -- again, we tried it this weekend and that didn't work at all...they ended up being up ALL DAY LONG!

2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I let them cry in their crib... nothing else works for mine. Eventually they fall asleep. Thankfully it doesn't happen much, lol.

3. cottoncandysky

cottoncandysky Well-Known Member

how old are they again? i dont know if i could go an hour and let them cry! i have a hard time going 15 min lol. i just take them into their room and give a bottle and sing a song (thank goodness its just us at home lol). usually after fussing they go out

4. lisaessman@verizon.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

When mine get like that the swings are usually the only way to calm them.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would try some quiet time with them: low lights, no TV, low voices and see if that helps them any. I don't know that at the age your twins are (4 months right?) that I would have been strong enough to let them cry that long ( at 6 months, maybe). Do you do any kind of modified bedtime routine with them before naps? That might also help. Good luck!

6. sharerc

sharerc Well-Known Member

I do CIO with mine as well. We had one of those nights last night. Samantha was so tired from the day's activities that she would not fall asleep. She cried for 10 minutes before she fell asleep. Luckily Mallory did not get up.

7. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

Maybe try to give them a small bottle? [I call them 'nap bottles']. If they're tired that might just get them nice and cozy and put them right to sleep. Also like PP mentioned, try to keep the room quiet, dim/dark with limited to no distractions.

If all else fails you can try CIO for a few mins.

GL!!

8. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

I rock mine. I either hold them upright (works best with DS) or lie them horizontally (works well with DD) with their head tucked into my body. I go to a darkened room and rock forwards and backwards while making a quiet sssssh ssssssh sound (imitating the heart) or I hum softly. Whispering "its ok, its ok" repeatedly works well with mine too. I continue like this for at least 20 mins or until I feel them relax. I then pop them down in their crib. With DD, she has her dummy (i.e. paci) in her mouth but I usually offer DS his once I put him down. Sometimes I have to jiggle DD´s bottom as the movement seems to calm her. I havent done this for a while with DS but it´s always worked wonders for me.