DD says her tummy hurts

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by AmberG, Jul 23, 2011.

1. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

My DD has been complaining of a tummy ache for close to 3 weeks now. She complains about it almost every day, sometimes multiple times a day. It doesn't seem to be directly related to eating, pooping, not pooping, etc. She does not appear to be constipated. If you ask her where it hurts she says "both sides" and points to her sides, almost towards her back. She doesn't seem to have any other symptoms. She has been eating less than normal, but I think it is due to the warmer weather. Our whole family seems to be eating less. She was away at her grandparents house for a couple of days and did not complain about her tummy there.

Should I take her to the doctor? Is it common for kids this age to complain of tummy pain. She has never really complained of pain in the past. It makes me worried that something serious could be wrong, but I know this is a common complaint for kids. She says "my tummy hurts, "I need a BandAid", and she also talks about going to the doctor.

2. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

My guess is she may have a UTI or bladder infection. You can by UTI test strips at Walgreens for about $10. I would take her to the Dr. just to be sure.

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'd take her in too.

4. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

She may have a UTI... especially since she's pointing towards her back.

5. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

That was my first thought too....flank pain from a UTI. I would definitely take her in since she has been complaining routinely for 3 weeks.

6. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

It's possible she's only complaining to you and not anyone else about her pain because you are her mother and you know her best. I'd take her the doctor and make sure nothing is wrong. If it was nothing, I'd suspect she'd give up complaining after a few times of not getting the attention. I think she's on to something and should get checked. A UTI sounds about right. If she's complaining about pain toward her back on both sides just about where her ribs end, that is where her kidneys are and is directly related to her bladder. It's best to get that checked out. Anything lower than the kidneys could still be bladder spasms as a urinary tract or bladder infection can cause that.

7. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

I scheduled an appointment for her but can't get her in until August 2nd with her doctor. If she has more urgent symptoms I will take her to Urgent Care. I am not sure about the UTI or kidney infection. Wouldn't she have a fever, painful urination, etc? She didn't mention it today. I did feel around her tummy and her sides near her back.

8. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I agree with PPs about taking her in to the ped, but I have to say that my guys complain about nonexistent "owies" all the time, and even tell me that they need to go to the "hostipal". I think that's normal at this age; they're sometimes mimicking what they're seeing around them. For example, my sister was in the hospital for a perforated ulcer, and after I told my boys about this, they walked around for a couple of weeks saying that their tummies hurt and they needed to go the doctor.

Definitely get it checked out though!