Daylight Savings-help!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by amelowe9, Nov 8, 2010.

1. amelowe9

amelowe9 Well-Known Member

In the past, I put them down earlier or later, gradually, depending on the time of year...for this time last year I put them down later everynight in increments of 15-minutes. Last night we had company and we kept them up late-8:15 p.m.... now it's 5:40 a.m. and I can hear DD saying "Hi Owen" to her brother in the crib :laughing: I'm up and out the door in a minute for a morning workout and now DH is going to be up soon with the kiddos...Their normal night-time sleep is 7-7 roughly...So tonight, would putting them down at 7:15 or 7:30 work in our favor in terms of getting them to sleep later...would love your advice and recommendations!

2. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

My kids have always slept better if they went down earlier. If I keep them up late then it's a given that they will wake up earlier :headbang:
    This is the first year we haven't had problems with the DST. Yesterday was a long day but we stuck to their schedule and I think it went okay. Maybe next time just try to see how they do with their regular schedule. :pardon: Good luck!

3. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

I agree, putting them down later always means getting up earlier. We went down at normal time (well 15 min ealry) they usually sleep 7 to 7. They were up at 6:15. I just hope over the next week or two that they will get back to their normal wake up time. The light outside is what they judge wake up by, so that doesnt help until it gets light later.

4. JessiePlus2

JessiePlus2 Well-Known Member

We're in DST hell right now with DS. We kept him up late on Saturday hoping that he would sleep in (even though a late bedtime usually means an even earlier wakeup time the next day). He usually goes to bed around 7:45 and is asleep by 8:15. Saturday we put him in bed at 8:30 pm and he didn't fall asleep until 9:45 because we had missed his "window" and he was wired from being up later than usual. Thank goodness he slept until 6:30 new time (7:30 old time) Sunday morning. He fought his nap on Sunday because he was overtired, but he ended up taking a nice 2 hour one. Sunday night, I tried to get him to bed at the usual time 7:45, but he fought his sleep again until 8:30! He woke up around 6:15 this morning, tired and cranky.

My plan is to get him to bed at 7:30 tonight, and deal with the extra early morning wakeup if it comes. I'd rather deal with that right now than this fighting bedtime business!

5. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have always had the best luck just ignoring the time changes. If bedtime is 7:30, I just go ahead & put them down at 7:30 like I would any other day. I find it only takes a day or two, if that, for them to adjust & everything is fine.

6. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This time we ignored it too and they took a nap yesterday from 1-3 like always, and went to bed at 8 like always, and they were up at 6:30 like normal.

7. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

Same Here! :good:

8. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

We did the same thing. I turned the clock in their room back on Saturday night and when they woke me up at 6:15am on Sunday morning, I told them to go back to bed until it was 7 on their clock. Last night bedtime (8pm) was a little rough, but they woke up at 7am this morning like normal. FWIW, this is the first DST that hasn't been really rough so it might be they are getting better as they get older.

9. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Ditto. Mine slept later than usual on Sunday morning because they were so tired from our busy day on Sat. -- normally they're up at 6:30 (which would have been 5:30 on Sunday) but thank goodness, they slept till 7:15 (i.e., 6:15)!

They did go to bed a bit early last night (again, because they were exhausted) but were up at more or less the normal time this morning -- around 6:30 "new time." It never takes more than a day or two to adjust.