Day Light Savings Time Panic

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by nycmomma, Oct 21, 2009.

1. nycmomma

nycmomma Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm jumping over from the first year board hoping to learn from you ladies, maybe some of you went thru this last year.

My guys are early wakers (like 5am). With DST next weekend, I'm panicked about the 4am wake ups. I need a plan. I'm not opposed to CIO, but I'm worried that I'm making them wait too long to eat.

They take their night time bottle around 6pm, pass out and usually STTN until 5am and get their breakfast bottle around 5:30am.

Any one have any suggestions to make the transition to DST?

TIA!

2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Put them down later. It's rare for babies to sleep much longer than 12 hours at night I think, so you might have to try to push it to 7pm for now.

3. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I have never done anything with them for DLS and they usually got used to it with in a few days. :good: The only thing I did keep with was putting down for the naps at the same time as the old clock and yes, things were off for a few days but they'll get back into routine. :good:

4. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't remember what happened last fall but I do remember when clocks jumped ahead this past Spring. For about a week the girls slept in later and it was great. But by the end of the month they were back to their regular wake up time, like DST never happened. I also have very early morning babies. If you want to ease into it I think I'd start moving their bedtime back now, by about 10 minutes per day.

5. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

Last year my boys woke up an hour early that morning and went back to the regular schedule the next day. I kept their normal naps & bed times. It actually worked out because I was able to go out to breakfast with family and if they did not wake up an hour earlier I would not have been able to make it.

This year I'm going to keep them up past their usual bedtime. If they wake up early, I will still keep the same nap & bed times just like last year.

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I did the same thing as Liz! I'll be curious to see how mine handle it this time around, they've done pretty decent with the other times.

7. jenniferkkelly

jenniferkkelly Well-Known Member

I was worried about it last year, but it wasn't too bad. Took us a few days to get back on schedule, but then we were fine.

8. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I second other posters. I have no recollection of it even being an issue with ours, so I'm guessing it either wasn't or they got used to it really quickly? Or I have repressed the memory because it was so bad (I really don't think this is the case :) )?

9. nycmomma

nycmomma Well-Known Member

Thanks mommas, I'm glad to hear most babies transitioned well. I've tried pushing bed time back and they can't never go past 6:30pm and still get up before 6:00am. I'll keep my fingers crossed for all of us next weekend!

10. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I remember reading about the other mom's on here wondering what to do about DST. I sat and read and was like, "We are supposed to do something?" LOL!

I do absolutely nothing. To be honest-I wouldn't know what to do! And-I would be afraid it would REALLY mess up their schedule. So-we've done nothing. They used to go to bed around 7pm, before the summer came. Now, it's closer to 8. So, it will, in a way, put them to bed at the time they were going to before. I do remember, about a week after DST, they seemed to get off schedul, but it never happened right away.

Now they are actually sleeping 11-12 hours(until after 7am), and I hope that doesn't change!

11. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i've always done a gradual switch - i usually start 4 days before the time change & push their whole schedule 15 minutes in the appropriate direction (fall is 15 minutes later, spring is 15 minutes earlier). then 3 days before, everything is pushed another 15 minutes (including naps). by the time the actual time change happens, they're back to their correct schedule according to the clock. it's worked like a charm both times so far for us.