Dark circles under eyes = Allergies?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by cmharper, Feb 7, 2007.

1. cmharper

cmharper Well-Known Member

Chloe has always been fair skinned, and just the past couple weeks, we've really noticed that she has dark, purple circles under eyes and she's starting to sneeze a lot and rub her nose. I'm assuming it's allergies, and am taking her to the pedi today (Bryce also because he has an ear infection [​IMG]). My question is - are the dark circles a tell-tale allergy sign, or could it be something else?

Carina

2. cmharper

Chloe has always been fair skinned, and just the past couple weeks, we've really noticed that she has dark, purple circles under eyes and she's starting to sneeze a lot and rub her nose. I'm assuming it's allergies, and am taking her to the pedi today (Bryce also because he has an ear infection [​IMG]). My question is - are the dark circles a tell-tale allergy sign, or could it be something else?

Carina

3. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

It could be something else but this is exactly how my twins allergies presented, about the same age too.

4. cmharper

Did they identify what they were allergic to specifically? I know for adults you actually have to do tests that I would imagine wouldn't be fun for little ones to determine the allergen. We have 4 cats and 2 dogs - obvious culprits. If it turns out she's allergic to one or both, I'm not quite sure what to do because they are our furbabies, but my real babies' health comes first of course. Any meds yours are on that have helped?

Carina

5. Brockgirl

Brockgirl Well-Known Member

My daughter has dark circles under her eyes when she is ill or very much over tired. She has no allergies.

6. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

My kids are all allergy kids, but they get the dark circles under their eyes when they are having sinus issues (an infection). My neices are the same way. And, mine usually don't get fevers with infections, so a fever is not always the way to tell if there is something going on.

7. kcole

kcole Well-Known Member

Mine have the circles right now and we actually just got some prescription cold, cough, decongestant medicine. They all three have severe colds and that gook in their eyes is making them show those rings and puffiness. Poor babies - I wish for warm weather!!!

8. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

They didn't test mine as often they can be incorrect at this age(and even till they are ten). Mine are on Zyrtec (1/2 tsp once a day). It could be the animal. You might try having them stay somewhere else for a week and see how the kids do or confine them to part of the house for a few days and see if they improve.

9. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Carina, someone said that to me when we were in Hawaii. I didn't know that....she was a nurse (the person that said it) and said "oh, she has allergies" and I was like "huh? She's just tired"....but she was sneezing and a little runny, but not like a cold! Interesting!

10. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My nieces and nephews have asthma and I see the dark circles for them when they are having issues with the asthma.

11. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

Ugh...I didn't really want to read this post...but you have just described Joe to a T. I hope it's not allergies...think I'll wait it out until our 12 month wcc.

Keep us posted if you find anything out.

12. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

My boys have dark circles, always have. They don't have allergies, dark circles run in the family. I have them, my neieces, my sister, etc.... We are also so fair that it is so noticable...