Daily routine with 2 month old

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by mom23sweetgirlies, Mar 24, 2010.

1. mom23sweetgirlies

mom23sweetgirlies Well-Known Member

I am just curious about what other babies Blake's age schedules look like, I have a feeling he is sleeping too much during the day.

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I did not have a routine. It chafed me, but they aren't ready for a schedule for a bit longer yet. At 2 mos they would eat & be awake for a little bit, then fall asleep. It wasn't a whole 2 hrs of awake time, yet, other than the feed right when they got up in the morning.

3. ljmcisaac

ljmcisaac Well-Known Member

we try to get her to sleep around 8 pm, and she's usually up at 7 am (with one or two feedings).

Then she gets a 1 hour nap starting around 8 or 8:30 (when she's tired). She wakes herself up. She needs a second morning nap but rarely goes down on her own, so I usually go for a walk (or drive). I try to get her to go down for the afternoon nap around 1, again depending on how tired she is. Ideally, this is 3 hr but if she wakes up sooner I try to get her down again. Then basically from 4:30 to 7:30 she's up, with maybe a catnap or two.

4. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

Diaper, food, play for a few minutes, fall asleep. Repeat when they wake in 2-3 hours. At that age, they should be sleeping a lot. Unlike cheeze, mine had their shortest awake time right after breakfast.

Once mine got close to 3 months adjusted, they started being awake a lot more, but are still roughly on a 3 hour feeding schedule with a nap between most feedings.

5. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't think there is such thing as sleeping too much at 2 months old. At that age sleep begets sleep. We did 90 minutes awake/90 minutes sleeping all day. The more I could get them to nap during the day then the better they slept at night.

6. mom23sweetgirlies

mom23sweetgirlies Well-Known Member

I should know these things but it's been 8 years so it's hard to remember. I'm happy to hear his constant sleeping is normal and nothing to worry about. :D Thanks!

7. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Definitely normal. Mine slept between every feeding, 5-6 naps a day im sure!

8. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

I do think it's normal, but just wanted to let you know I've had the same thought! Mine seem to sleep so much - particularly in the morning. They are most wakeful between 4 and 8pm, and also most fussy during that time.

9. Idttwinboys22310

Idttwinboys22310 Active Member

My babies are 2 months old today & all they do is sleep. There maybe periods of awake time for about 45 minutes but that only happens once or twice a day. Usually around 11am , 4pm & then again around 9pm. Mine are just now starting to eat about 3 1/2 hours before it was like every 2 so it just seemed like they where up all the time.

10. RJ2006

RJ2006 Well-Known Member

Ours are 10 week old on Sunday, born at 37 weeks.

Ours feed at 10am, 2pm, 6pm, 10pm, then when they wake up, usually between 2am and 4am, then when they wake in the morning at around 6am/7am. of course there is always a bit of adjustment, say about 30 mins either way. However they are doing great on this schedule. In the last week, they have started to sleep from 10pm to 3am and I'm hoping are getting close to dropping that 2/3am bottle or atleast moving towards 5am.

We focus on having them be awake for about 8 hours in a 24 hour period, including any time they are awake during their middle of the night feeds. They are usually down about 90 mins after they wake up in the morning for a good 2 hour nap. Then they are awake for 2-3 hours at a time during the day btwn feeds.

We just started putting them in their cribs earlier around 730/830 at night b/c they were falling asleep in their bouncy chairs at that time and having to be woken up for their 10pm feed. Its been a tough few days of getting them used to it being in crib earlier, but we are making progress. They would always easily go in to their cribs after the 10pm feed. Now that they are getting older, its time to get them out of the living room at night and in to their crib earlier. My thought was if they are sound asleep in their bouncy chairs they can be sound asleep in their cribs. We are usuing controlled crying to get them used to the earlier bed time and it is working out fairly well.

I don't think its too early for you to start a routine, ours seem to be thriving on it and are happy little babies! We started by working on the feeding times. When we had that good for about 3 weeks, we started on the bed time. Once we get that sorted out, we'll move on to working out the naps...hopefully next month!

Once we moved on to the 4 hour feeding schedule, life was awesome! Its great to be able to know when they will eat and it makes it easier to plan house work and any other activities...