Cyst in Baby A's brain?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Kaciald, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Kaciald

Kaciald Active Member

I was wondering if anyone else has gone through this? We were told at our 20 week ultrasound everything looked good and if anything was wrong they would call us if we didn't hear from them it was fine. So imagine my fear when I checked my voice mail and received a message from my doctor that we needed to go over my ultrasound results. After calling numerous times without getting through I decided to just go to the doctors office and see if they would tell me there. Thankfully my doctor was very supportive and saw me right away and let me know that Baby A has a cyst in his brain. She informed me that these are fairly uncommon and tend to go away on their own but can sometimes be linked to a genetic disease which my baby has no other symptoms of. I have a follow up ultrasound in three weeks and if it grows will have to travel to 7 hours to another hospital for further observation. I am curious if anyone else has gone through this and how it turned out? I am trying not to worry too much since the doctors do not seem concerned at all, but it's difficult for me as I've never heard of this before.

2. KeriU

KeriU Well-Known Member

:hug: To you. So sorry and yes I can imagine how stressful that is. I didn't have a baby with a cyst, but at my 25 week ultrasound they told me my DS (baby A) had an enlarged brain ventricle which could mean water on the brain type thing. The whole wait thing just kept me on edge. It measured large the entire time from then on, but it did reslove itself. At my 28 week appt. they told me my DD's head wasn't growing right. It was horrible. I felt like the second half of my pregnancy was a wait and see game. They both turned out fine with no problems whatsoever. It is hard, but try not to let it worry you until you have your next scan. I hope you get good results!

1 person likes this.
  3. jsmith

jsmith Active Member

Yes! I went through exactly what you are going through. My OB was not(overly)concerned and said that choroid plexus cysts are quite common and do usually resolve themselves over time. He also said that they are seen more frequently now, probably because of the increased resolution of ultrasound machines. I had a follow up ultrasound three weeks later and the cyst was gone. A girlfriend of mine had a baby with a CPC that took up until week 34 to go away. And yet another friend had a baby whose CPC never went away, but it had no detrimental effect on the baby at all. All three babies (well mine's a toddler now)are happy healthy little ones.
    I should say I was never in a panic (ok, well maybe a small one) because I had read about CPCs prior to the discovery of Baby A's and I understood the association between a chromosome problem and the cyst was pretty slim (<1%). My husband, on the other hand, had never heard of CPCs and was understandably quite freaked out when he heard the words cyst and brain in the same sentence. He was a nervous wreck until the next ultrasound.
    :hug: to you! And as the pp said, it's hard, but try not to worry your way through the next three weeks!

1 person likes this.
  4. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

I had this with my son...he also had dilated kidneys along with the cysts (there were several). I did a follow up U/S at 26 weeks, I think, and then again at 30 something and by that one the cysts were gone and one of his kidneys was almost perfectly normal so we were given a "wait and see" at the birth for the other kidney. He was born perfectly healthy :).

I KNOW how incredibly stressful this is having gone through it myself. I was such a mess waiting for each U/S and the follow up so :hug: to you. I think the cysts are quite common and most often are gone before birth with no residual effects. Try not to worry over the next 3 weeks and give your babies as much happy, positive energy as you can!

1 person likes this.
  5. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My friends daughter was found to have one on her brain at 2 yrs old. (She had fallen and they did an mri to make sure she was okay). They said it was a cyst on the brain that normall goes away before birth but hers was still there. She is now a very healthy 11 yr old and has no effects from it at all!

1 person likes this.
  6. Kaciald

Kaciald Active Member

Thank you everyone for your replies! I was too afraid to google after I found out (made that mistake when I found out I was having twins!). But after reading the previous posts I did some research and feel so much better. I am fairly young and this is my first pregnancy and it was unplanned so I think I tend to get freaked out pretty easily. I'm trying to take it easy and not stress out too much and just wait and see what the follow up ultrasound shows. Thanks again for all the support. :thanks: