Curious about the "mine-mine" phenomenon

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by debid, May 23, 2008.

1. debid

debid Well-Known Member

Let me start by saying that I haven't seen but a trace of it in my boys so far. I don't recall doing anything special to prevent it and I thought nothing more than that it was a normal toddler behavior when I've seen it in other children. So, my question is, do your twins seem less inclined toward possessiveness than others their age? I'm wondering if it's because they've had to share all along or if it's just part of their individual personalities.

To give you a couple of examples... we went to the park this week and I brought along a sand toy set and a few extra yogurt cups for scoops. T&T were handing scoops and the shovel and rake out to any child who was playing in the sand and inviting them to play too. Then, a boy at the doctor's office yesterday dropped his toy car on the floor and Trent stopped playing to go pick it up and give it back to the kid saying, "Here you go car." His mother had the widest eyes. At the same age, my friend's singleton was possessive of not only his toys but any toy within his field of vision wherever he was and I realize he was likely an extreme example but I expected at least some selfishness to emerge at some point.

Maybe they're just not there yet?

2. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Mine are very much into "mine" since they turned two. Maybe it is more of a girl thing?

3. jdandson

jdandson Well-Known Member

Nope it's a boy thing too, Braeden thinks anything that is brother is playing with should be "mine"!!
    And I mean EVERYTHING!!! All i hear is Mine, Mine, Mine!!!

4. Angela0580

Angela0580 Well-Known Member

Mine just started the mine mine thing this week (they'll be 2 next month!) They also say "I do" a lot especially if there sister is doing something with one of us! Abbie has the flu, and I was taking her temp (rectally) and Harlie layed on her tummy with her but up saying "I DO I DO". They just always seem to want/do what the other has/does.

5. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

This thread is MIIIIIINE! Gimee, gimmee, gimmee!!!!! Mamaaaaaa!!!!

My 3 yo has recently become extremely possessive and she never has been before. Maybe there's a big window of opportunity for this phase. Anyway the boys are medium possessive. They will fight on occasion, but not a lot.

6. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

Okay, Debi. This is the boys' way of repaying you (letting you off the hook on this one) for their over-the-top antics in other areas of toddlerdom. ;)

While we don't specifically say "mine-mine", I'm ready to pull my hair out over "Nicky's turn, Nicky's turn". We have somewhere in the ballpark of 6,427,316 toys in our play room and Nick isn't interested in a single one UNTIL Joe decides to play with it. :rolleyes: He runs up, gives Joe a "Heisman" shove with one hand, grabs the toy with the other hand while saying "MOVE 'WAY, JOEY!" :angry: Poor, sweet Joe is most likely to turn around shrug his shoulders and find another toy. Repeat process from the beginning. After about 5 repetitions of this Nick will walk around the room carrying 5 toys he isn't actually playing with, just preventing Joe from playing with them.

We intervene to set things straight, but this is honestly what I spend 50% of my time doing with them. It's so frustrating.

7. Cma

Cma Well-Known Member

I could write the same post word to word.....apart from the fact that my DD does that and my DS just shrugs and moves to next toy. Recently though he has become smartere and her takes his books or blocks and goes to a corner and sits facing the wall so that he gets few minutes with his toy till DD realises that he is playing with something....and than repeat of earlier behaviour.

QUOTE(SweetpeaG @ May 24 2008, 05:08 AM) [snapback]790826[/snapback]
    Okay, Debi. This is the boys' way of repaying you (letting you off the hook on this one) for their over-the-top antics in other areas of toddlerdom. ;)

While we don't specifically say "mine-mine", I'm ready to pull my hair out over "Nicky's turn, Nicky's turn". We have somewhere in the ballpark of 6,427,316 toys in our play room and Nick isn't interested in a single one UNTIL Joe decides to play with it. :rolleyes: He runs up, gives Joe a "Heisman" shove with one hand, grabs the toy with the other hand while saying "MOVE 'WAY, JOEY!" :angry: Poor, sweet Joe is most likely to turn around shrug his shoulders and find another toy. Repeat process from the beginning. After about 5 repetitions of this Nick will walk around the room carrying 5 toys he isn't actually playing with, just preventing Joe from playing with them.

We intervene to set things straight, but this is honestly what I spend 50% of my time doing with them. It's so frustrating.

8. ~Laura M~

~Laura M~ Well-Known Member

My DS was Mine Mine Mine ... My DD his twin was the more giving type. Now that they are 4, everything is Mine Mine Mine for both LOL.

9. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

We hear "mine mine" all day long.....and there have been some days I finally say, "Ok, we're not saying that word anymore!" It's funny, every time ds watches Finding Nemo & all the seagulls are saying, "mine, mine, mine" he'll run up to the tv & say "No mine!" :) I'd count your blessings!

I do however, notice, they're much easier going with other kids & I think for their age they share really well.

10. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

We went through that phase, but honestly we are sorta past it a bit. They are doing better at sharing (most days) and if they KNOW something is not theirs, they will give it back!